walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camp spots in An Caorann Beag or An Caorann Mor?

Wild camp spots in An Caorann Beag or An Caorann Mor?

Postby Highlander » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm planning a circular route starting and finishing from one of the laybys on the A87 near Cluanie Inn which will include Ciste Dhubh and then a walk along Glen Affric to Athnamulloch before heading south to climb Sail Chaorainn, Sgurr nan Conbhairean and Carn Ghluasaid.

I wondered if anyone knows of any suitable wild camp spots in either An Caorann Beag or An Caorann Mor to the north of Cluanie Inn as I understand these can be somewhat boggy?

Thanks
Mark
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   Islands:17

Re: Wild camp spots in An Caorann Beag or An Caorann Mor?

Postby Kevin29035 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:46 am

I remember An Caorann Mor being boggier than An Caorann Beag. I think the triple bealach at the head of the Caorann Beag would make a good spot, except for no water. Otherwise I think both glens feel a bit hemmed in for a really nice wild camp.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Re: Wild camp spots in An Caorann Beag or An Caorann Mor?

Postby Highlander » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks for that Kevin. Yes, I think we'll aim to walk up An Caorann Beag to the Bealach a' Choinich on the Friday evening if time is on our side. I actually camped on this bealach a couple of months ago after walking from Morvich via Beinn Fhada and then did the North Shiel Ridge the following morning. I had a very pleasant evening up there and managed to collect water from the stream that flows west down into the Allt Can-ban.
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion