walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Seat and Little Fell (Dales)

High Seat and Little Fell (Dales)

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: High Seat, Sails

Date walked: 07/08/2014

Time taken: 3.2

Distance: 17.3 km

Ascent: 640m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Back to England and back to work but with fishing on the horizon for the weekend and dodgy weather forecast, it seemed rude to not use a good forecast for the Thursday for a bit of flexi time and a trip to the Northern Dales.

The only other report I'd really seen for doing these two together was poppiesrara on here so I looked to follow a similar route to him (thanks mate :wink:) . I'd really enjoyed Wild Boar Fell when I climbed it a few years ago and I was hoping for a walk similar to that.

I arrived in Outhgill around 3pm and parked just outside the village and headed back towards the village and towards the hill on a public footpath. The footpath didn't last long and it was pretty pathless over bogs and long grass at first with insects everywhere in the heat.

The Nab Wild Boar Fell.JPG
The Nab on Wild Boar Fell looking very pointed from near Outhgill

Mallerstang Edge.JPG
High Seat and Mallerstang Edge

It was with some relief that I finally reached the foot of the climb to Mallerstang Edge and, although steep and pathless, progress was then quick to the plateau with the summit of High Seat now visible.

Four small cairns seemed to mark different areas of the fell and I visited them all as there seemed to be very little difference height wise between them all.

Long grass followed by steep climb.JPG
Long grass and bogs followed by a steep climb

Summit in view.JPG
High Seat summit in view

One of the cairns.JPG
One of the small cairns

Progress was now easy enough on the summit ridge over to the Nuttall tops of Archy Styrigg (although I did start descending from this one on the wrong path before realising my mistake) and Hugh Seat before I hit a very boggy pitch on route to the second Hewitt of the day - Little Fell. This required a leap over the other side of the fence and back to negotiate and soon enough I was standing at the Northern Top of the Hill. Again, I couldn't be certain which was higher so I made the short detour to the Southern Top marked by another cairn and what appeared to be the remains of an old Trig Point.

Cairns on 2.JPG
Cairns on Archy Styrigg

Looking to LIttle Fell.JPG
Looking to Little Fell from Hugh Seat with the three peaks i the background

Little Fell Top.JPG
Little Fell Northern (and higher) top

Cairn further on.JPG
Cairn on Southern Top

Old Trig.JPG
Old Trig Point on Southern Top?

The descent was rough at first until I hit Hell Gill, then progress was much easier along the pleasant grassy track Lady Anne's Highway back to the car.

Heading down.JPG
Heading down Hell Gill

Good return path with Mallerstang Edge.JPG
Lady Anne's Highway with Mallerstang Edge in view

Prominent marker.JPG
Water Cut Sculpture with the Cross Fell Massif behind

A rougher than expected few hours - especially the initial walk through the fields - and while Mallerstang Edge is impressive in it's own right, the hills beyond it don't match up and it's easy to see why nearby lower heights Wild Boar Fell and Nine Standards Rigg remain more popular.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: High Seat and Little Fell (Dales)

Postby poppiesrara » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Nice photos, Broggy. I remember these quite fondly really, but - since everything you say about the rough and boggy parts is definitely true - I can't quite think why! I had a beautiful day for it though - like yours - and that always helps...
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland