walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Central Cairngorms Circuit

Central Cairngorms Circuit

Postby Katrina » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 09/08/2014

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at the Cairngorm Mountain Ski Centre and headed up to zero visability summit of Cairn Gorm for 10:30am. Then dropped down out the cloud towards Coire an t-Sneachda.

Took the first path that headed over towards Coire Raibert, dropped right down to the path that leads along the side of Loch A'an - Loch Avon on the map.

Headed up the other side towards Beinn Mheadhoin, past the shelter stone, (which I didn't bother going over to look for, as I was worried about the time), walked the full length of Mheadhoin - taking in all the spectacular tors, spent ages up there.

Headed down from there towards Loch Etchachan, skirted around it heading up towards the top that looks over it. Then ploughed on to Macdui's great cliffs/Stob Coire Sputan Dearg. Up past the ruin that is situated just off the summit and made it onto the summit for 6pm - the whole place to myself :o

Having trouble uploading photos on here, don't have time to resize them, apologies...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101582130@N04/sets/72157646363326835/
Last edited by Katrina on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katrina
Hill Bagger

Re: Central Cairngorms Circuit

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Nice photos of what looked a grand day Katrina
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Katrina » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Best day out I have had to date, weather was a bonus, even although it was a bit windy. Thanks!
Katrina
Hill Bagger

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

Katrina

Super walk and photos. How long did the walk take? Got my eye on a similar route!
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Katrina » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:31 pm

PerthAlly wrote:Katrina

Super walk and photos. How long did the walk take? Got my eye on a similar route!

Apologies, not been on here for a while, I left the ski centre car park at 9am, I did mess around on Mheadhoin for a fair while. Got to Macdui for 6pm
Katrina
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland