walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Some GPX routes not working?

Some GPX routes not working?

Postby Old Bill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:22 am

Has anyone has trouble reading some of the GPS routes from here? Two on Skye won't import into Basecamp v4.3.5 - Southern Cuillin and Coire Ghrunnda and Sgurr Alisdair, but others work fine?

I do find them very helpful. So I'd just thought I'd check before emailing the webmasters.

ta!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Some GPX routes not working?

Postby doggy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Mines have all loaded and worked fine although they can be a good 10m from the path, a bit of a worry when walking in snow.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Old Bill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks doggy - including those two I mention?

How odd.
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby doggy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:12 pm

No I haven't done those ones yet, I noticed it was really out on Carn Gorm.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby davidh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:53 am

There appears to be a bug in Basecamp that causes it to fall over when trying to import some of the information in these .GPX routes. See earlier post by Paul Webster :
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44585&p=247681&hilit=easygps#p247681
Two simple ways round the problem:
1) Use the (free) EasyGPS application to open the routes and transfer them to your GPS and / or save them. If like me you prefer to keep all your routes and tracks together in one place using Basecamp, you will find that the route files opened then saved from EasyGPS will be successfully imported by Basecamp.
2) Alternatively, instead of using EasyGPS you can open the original .GPX files with Windows Notepad and delete the lines of text starting with the one whose XML tag is "</extensions>" up to and including the one with XML tag "</extensions>". Then save the amended files and you will find that they can be imported by Basecamp.
Hope this helps.
davidh

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion