walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eastern Black Mount 5

Eastern Black Mount 5

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 15/08/2014

Time taken: 12 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another log day for these, which I already knew having planned to do these that day after my late nighter (in summer !!) doing the western 6.

So the route was already planned, maps studied and just needed a day. It would be an early start 0330hrs for the alarm but I had Friday off and the w/e so the motivation is always there to set off and with only myself to motivate, something I’ve never needed to dig deep for, for myself anyway.

It’s a good drive to this area for me so had planned to stay over and do something smaller on the Saturday. I set off in the car thinking hmm not so far after all as the Satnav (not that I needed it, just avoids the need to think as the mind wanders thinking of the day ahead) was saying 2hours, well it would I’d set it for Pitlochry instead of Bridge of Orchy doh !!

I was walking by 0800hrs, one other gent at the car park was doing my first two.

From the car park a view of my long day a couple of weeks back to the Black Mount western bunch.

WH1.jpg

And a view up the first bealach, my legs were feeling heavy today, this was going to be a long day.

WH2.jpg

But the bealach was reached on mostly good path and on ascent of Beinn Achaladair my first view of Beinn Mhanach.

WH3.jpg

By 1030hrs I was on my first summit with views to Rannoch Moor and the weather clearing up as the day progressed.

WH4.jpg

Views all around this one back to the first summit on the way to Beinn a’ Chreachain

WH5.jpg

The next bit was along drop and then an equally long climb back up to Mhanach.

This view back to Beinn a’ Chreachain on ascent of Mhanach after the steep first section. My descent of Beinn a’ Chreachain was from the bealach in a diagonal line to the left of this pic.

WH7.jpg

The summit of Mhanach and views right across to Lawers

WH8.jpg

Zoomed

WH9.jpg

I waved across, well there is always someone up there even in the week, daft bugger, good to be daft sometimes.

Now off from Mhanach all I had to do was get down there, Beinn Dorain to the right, the next target.

WH10.jpg

I had originally planned to shoot off left in a diagonal to ease the slope, but a shifty at the map decided it would be better to head over the top of Beinn a Chuirn and down avoiding its crags, joining the track and down to the start of the route up to the bealach between Dorain and Dhotaidh. It worked !

View of Dorain (right) on descent of Beinn a Chuirn. My route down this track and right.

WH11.jpg

A rest stop to take on food at the track and a pose too.

WH12.jpg

My descent of Beinn a Chuirn beyond the visible crags but as steep as the pic shows, cripes !

WH13.jpg

The ascent up to the bealach between the two ‘D’s was pathless much to my surprise and made for heavy going in places. View back part way up, Lawers showing its presence again in the distance.

WH14.jpg

The legs were weary by now and on ascent of Dorain I must have taken a bypass path to the right avoiding the crest, and this seemed to go forever. Akin to walking round the side of An Teallach although not as exposed. But cruelly someone had mad the summit of Dorain at the furthest point out Jeez.

Once at the summit I headed back along the crest with still one to do to get back to my start.

WH15.jpg

The final hurdle, the route up Beinn Dothaidh, the last.

WH16.jpg

Summit of Beinn Dothaidh, well I’m on the summit this one is not the true one and yes Lawers in the distance, there is no escape, like some Creag Meg visible everywhere, with Schiehallion to the left too.

WH17.jpg

Now Beinn Dothaidh didn’t want to let me go, as I followed numerous paths that took me to the edges of nothing, I thought I was never going to get off, emotions kicked in, I wanted out now.

Yu wouldnt want to walk of this in the dark cripes !

WH18.jpg

I made a beeline towards the car park once back on grass but pathless and heavy going but pace quickened now, eventually arriving back after 12 hours in the hills. Now to find a chippy and a campsite.

I headed south then east as I aimed to get back across near the A9 side to make the journey home easier after tomorrows smaller walk, but time was late and although I found a site, something told me just go home, a mistake maybe, but home by midnight after a 3 hour drive home.

Yes these were new hills, new memories but it was old memories that filled my mind on that journey home.
Attachments
WH6.jpg
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Eastern Black Mount 5

Postby simon-b » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Well done, Dave, getting these 5 in one go, and not even as a linear route. Two more good moves - going yesterday instead of today, and not hanging around for today. Conditions are not good!

I'm glad things worked out well with this trip.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Cheers Simon b, yep heard that the weather isnt so good down that way today.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Long day and a good effort there spiderwebb.

I was out yesterday as well but kept to the east as I thought the weather would be better but from your photos it looked much the same.

Still to do these so might well use your notes when I get round to them.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Steve B » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:20 am

Hi Spiderweb. I was the gent you met in the car park at the start.
That was one hell of an effort, well done. :clap:
I kept an eye out and saw you ascending Beinn Mhanach as I was on my way off Beinn Achaladair, it look like an awful long way to go still.
My knees were shot after just the 2 of them, full marks for doing what you did.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Another big day there Dave your fair knocking these routes out this weather.

Your memories will never fade mate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Well done on these, a great effort on these 5.
I can vouch for your very good decision-making skills as I was on top of Tarmachan the next day, seeing nothing in 60 mph gusts :roll: .
Enjoyed the TR
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:08 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Cheers Simon b, yep heard that the weather isnt so good down that way today.

I don't know how you made your decision, but it does seem like Friday was the day, especially for long expeditions like yours (you don't post the ascent, but when I planned this route starting from Beinn Dorain and going anti-clockwise, it worked out at 2450m).

I looked at long range forecasts a couple of weeks ago, and then MWIS for the preceding couple of days; and we hit the jackpot!

I was doing the Crianlarich Munros at the same time (report just posted), and, apart from some cloud around the peaks at the outset, it was a perfect day for hard work (ie not too much sun!!).

It took me a while to work out what route you'd done and where you started, because I just looked at the map to plan my route, and assumed (probably wrongly it seems) that the A82 was the best place to start; but from the various pics I've looked at, BD looks a real brute to ascend - almost hands and knees stuff. So when I get round to it, I'll probably take your route.

This is relatively far South - good for me - but after your Fisherfields report, this ranks much higher on the list of "to do's"!

Thanks for posting.

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:54 pm

that looked a big day but a very efficient way to cover these hills :thumbup: needed two trips for me albeit both in winter, would like to return some time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:21 am

Scotjamie wrote:Well done on these, a great effort on these 5.
I can vouch for your very good decision-making skills as I was on top of Tarmachan the next day, seeing nothing in 60 mph gusts :roll: .
Enjoyed the TR

thanks Scotjamie :D

Alteknacker wrote:
spiderwebb wrote:Cheers Simon b, yep heard that the weather isnt so good down that way today.

I don't know how you made your decision, but it does seem like Friday was the day, especially for long expeditions like yours (you don't post the ascent, but when I planned this route starting from Beinn Dorain and going anti-clockwise, it worked out at 2450m).

I looked at long range forecasts a couple of weeks ago, and then MWIS for the preceding couple of days; and we hit the jackpot!

I was doing the Crianlarich Munros at the same time (report just posted), and, apart from some cloud around the peaks at the outset, it was a perfect day for hard work (ie not too much sun!!).

It took me a while to work out what route you'd done and where you started, because I just looked at the map to plan my route, and assumed (probably wrongly it seems) that the A82 was the best place to start; but from the various pics I've looked at, BD looks a real brute to ascend - almost hands and knees stuff. So when I get round to it, I'll probably take your route.

This is relatively far South - good for me - but after your Fisherfields report, this ranks much higher on the list of "to do's"!

Thanks for posting.

AK

AK yep Friday was the day, I did see folk go off down from the bealach between the two Beinn D's and it looked a bit heavy going, although no doubt easier down than up. Th route up my way was fairly straightforward and easier slopes :)

Gordie12 wrote:Long day and a good effort there spiderwebb.

I was out yesterday as well but kept to the east as I thought the weather would be better but from your photos it looked much the same.

Still to do these so might well use your notes when I get round to them.

feel free Gordie12 or pm me if you need more detail :D

Steve B wrote:Hi Spiderweb. I was the gent you met in the car park at the start.
That was one hell of an effort, well done. :clap:
I kept an eye out and saw you ascending Beinn Mhanach as I was on my way off Beinn Achaladair, it look like an awful long way to go still.
My knees were shot after just the 2 of them, full marks for doing what you did.

haha always forget to ask about WH (gulp thats me banned now :lol: ) I saw you too across the ridge towards Achaladair, wasnt too bad once past the first half, one thing about these straight ups thay do go relatively quickly :D

gammy leg walker wrote:Another big day there Dave your fair knocking these routes out this weather.

Your memories will never fade mate.

thanks Gammy, see you got Ben Avon done, good day you had too :D

rockhopper wrote:that looked a big day but a very efficient way to cover these hills :thumbup: needed two trips for me albeit both in winter, would like to return some time - cheers :)

these would be good ones for winter although my route would involve some bits that would need a great deal of care in winter, although maybe make for quicker descents :lol: But defintely not all in the one day.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland