walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Klibreck ,,, winters coming

Ben Klibreck ,,, winters coming

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 23/08/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The decision to run up the road for Klibreck came about as I was doing a small wee job for the Dornoch Inshore lifeboat and hence would be best part of the way there already.

First stop

WH1.jpg

I had done the same work for them last year and given a charity refused any form of financial reward but last year was rewarded by way of several tubs of home made ice cream, and very nice it was too.

Klibreck would only take an afternoon being a singleton and was a worthy hill for this excursion and welcome in light of some of more recent epics…2315hrs finish in the dark..in summer,,,jeez still thinking about it.

So the work, if you cam call it that, I left Dornoch complete with tubs of ice cream in a cool bag, covered with Tesco ice cubes, pondering if it would last until I got home.

My first view of Klibreck came only a short distance from the car park spot, and what a view !

WH2.jpg

My route was the one on WH, and this would take me up the first top to the right in the pic and then along the obvious ridge, although a path skirts the middle top. I had read reports of this being a boggy one, I must confess this route is soggy, but lacking any serious bog, but certainly not a walk for trainers. The reference in the title to winter hopefully didnt scare anyone, but it was a keen wind today.

Much of the climb is done at the first top and the views North to Ben Loyal, Ben Hope opened up, what a vista.

WH3.jpg

The going underfoot was now firmer but some more soggy stuff lay ahead as I descended slightly and then up again bearing left to avoid summiting the end of the ridge. I had been watching some incoming weather for a while as gradually the view vanished. I stopped to clobber up before it hit as the wind was already blowing and I didn’t fancy struggling with waterproofs at the last minute.

WH4.jpg

Afeter the sqall, the cloud boiled up over the ridge I had passed on the way in, so atmospheric when its like this.

WH5.jpg

The final pull to the summit is a bit of a shock after the relative ease on the way in and views back to the eastern slopes and lochan appear, before I ascend into the cloud for the summit.

WH6.jpg

I was denied views on the summit and so after a brief stop for the usual, I descended, and in a short while the panorama before me, showed much of the North spread out from Foinaven in the west, Ben Hope, Ben Loyal, the latter only a Corbett in name as what a mountain.

WH7.jpg

Ben Loyal zoomed, the view to Ben Loyal from Tongue is more dramatic, one to be climbed for sure.

WH8.jpg

Within about 15 minutes of leaving the summit it cleared completely, but I had had my views and I had had this hill to myself after passing 3 folk coming down on my way in.

The hill to myself, always makes me think of the words to Supertramp….

I know that there's a reason why I need to be alone
I need to find a silent place that I can call my own
Is it mine, Lord is it mine?
When everything's dark and nothing seems right,
There's nothing to win and there's no need to fight
I never cease to wonder at the cruelty of this land
But it seems a time of sadness is a time to understand
Is it mine, Lord is it mine?

I started the walk at 1pm and the stopover at Dornoch broke the journey nicely, but after 4 hours on the hill the Satnav gave me an ETA home of 1945hrs gulp, well it is a fair way.

TB 1 had been crying at me all week, I recognised the noise, brake pads needed, which I had already bought ready. So on arrival home I got these changed pronto, showered and in half hour dinner was being consumed along with a beer (from the fridge humph !!)
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Ben Klibreck ,,, winters coming

Postby simon-b » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Nice one Dave. Ben Klibreck is notorious for wind, so I think the weather you experienced was quite normal. The same day, I was at the opposite end of Munro country on Ben Lomond, and the wind was only moderate. I think it can be taken as nailed on that the Altnaharra to Lairg road would have been less busy than that between Drymen and Rowardennan.

The far north is a superb place to visit.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Another fine effort Dave,still missing Holly mate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 pm

simon-b wrote:Nice one Dave. Ben Klibreck is notorious for wind, so I think the weather you experienced was quite normal. The same day, I was at the opposite end of Munro country on Ben Lomond, and the wind was only moderate. I think it can be taken as nailed on that the Altnaharra to Lairg road would have been less busy than that between Drymen and Rowardennan.

The far north is a superb place to visit.

Poles apart Simon B. I think I'm notorious for wind too :lol: But yes it was bloddy chilly, today by contrast no jacket at all at Blair Atholl. No contest on the traffic, it was well, erm light :lol:

gammy leg walker wrote:Another fine effort Dave,still missing Holly mate.

Cheers Gammy, yep missing her big time, go over and over if we did the right thing, but its done. Sam too, never heard a thing from when he went missing last December :( :(
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi spiderwebb

A great report and quoting Supertramp wow - I think that may be a WH first - think I may stick that album on a disk and listen to it on the way to Braemar tomorrow (it's been a while).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi spiderwebb

A great report and quoting Supertramp wow - I think that may be a WH first - think I may stick that album on a disk and listen to it on the way to Braemar tomorrow (it's been a while).

Thanks Gordie, be careful as I think that album also has the sond 'Its raining again' :lol: :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby electricfly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 am

Hehe, we were up doing this one on the 18th August Dave. No views, except for little glimpses when the horizontal rain subsided for a few nano-seconds. Glad we had already ticked off Ben Hope before, as the bridge at Altnaharra was wrecked apparently. :shock:

It's weird how you get songs looping in your head on hikes, as often it can be stuff I don't even like. For Klibreck I had an assortment of ancient songs from the TV advert for a CD Boxset of Doris Day, Howard Keel etc! :lol:

Following day we had similar conditions on Ben More and Conival at Assynt, but got treated to some clearer views on the retrace, so not too bad. :D

Let me know when you're coming back down for some more southern munros, I'll bring a couple of my rascals out to see their uncle Dave. :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Great views. Did the ice cream survive?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:55 pm

litljortindan wrote:Great views. Did the ice cream survive?

Yep the ice cream survived, chocolate one is yummy :D

electricfly wrote:Hehe, we were up doing this one on the 18th August Dave. No views, except for little glimpses when the horizontal rain subsided for a few nano-seconds. Glad we had already ticked off Ben Hope before, as the bridge at Altnaharra was wrecked apparently. :shock:

It's weird how you get songs looping in your head on hikes, as often it can be stuff I don't even like. For Klibreck I had an assortment of ancient songs from the TV advert for a CD Boxset of Doris Day, Howard Keel etc! :lol:

Following day we had similar conditions on Ben More and Conival at Assynt, but got treated to some clearer views on the retrace, so not too bad. :D

Let me know when you're coming back down for some more southern munros, I'll bring a couple of my rascals out to see their uncle Dave. :D

Will do, got plenty down that ways so I'll be in touch, be good to see you and the pack :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby grumpy old bagger » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Some lovely pics there - great report, it's reminded me that I must make an effort to do some walking up north. I visit relatives in Orkney a fair bit, I really must stop on the way up for a day in the hills!

And aye, winter's coming, but that's not a bad thing - less bitey beasties!
grumpy old bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:9
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:00 pm

The North West is stunning Grumpy, often missed due to a lack og Munros but Asynt etc is a case in point that Munros alone are not the be all and end all. Def worth a visit, no doubt of that. :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Nice report and some cracking pics there. Need to get back up there and get Hope and Klibreck sorted out. Should have done them at the Inchnadamph meet but I could't be arsed, lol. Now every time I look on my Munro map I'm thinking they should be blue!! :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Lovely - you are right about the far north, its really special. I like the atmospheric photos - blue skies can get a bit boring :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland