walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A/E Ridge

A/E Ridge

Postby darren » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 23/08/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did it I did it I did it. Saturday 23rd August I breathed in put one step in front of the other and 8 hours later I bagged the A/E Ridge. You have to believe me because my camera is playing up and I can't download pictures. Yes common sense and long legs and a solid bum to slid on it's not that difficult I really enjoyed it, Your adrenaline kicks in and paying attention to what's in front of you not either side or down :crazy: and your fine. Though on the pinnacles which one I don't know there is a large squared boulder with little foot holds to give you purchase to pull yourself over I was sh****g myself I just could not get myself over it, I required a push from below to help me over the sheer drops either side to me were taking my full attention :shock: . I honestly loved it but to be honest I don't think I will be back to cover my tracks It's not the ridge which is truly outstanding but the walk down from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh via Pap of Glencoe is horrendous the 2 hour walk from summit down boulder strewn mountain side is soul destroying. But if anyone is in my previous position and are in two minds about doing walk I would certainly advise them to go for it but with the help with fellow walkers who have experience of doing the ridge before......Ps There was a small flutter of snow during my walk does that mean I can claim to doing A/E Ridge in winter conditions.
darren
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A/E Ridge

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:33 pm

darren wrote:I did it I did it I did it. ...... You have to believe me because my camera is playing up and I can't download pictures.
well done ! :clap: ....... :lol: we believe you !

darren wrote:Ps There was a small flutter of snow during my walk does that mean I can claim to doing A/E Ridge in winter conditions.
:lol: :lol: :crazy: presumably if you were in winter conditons your kit included ice axe, crampons, emergency shelter, gaiters, extra warm spare clothing, loads of extra food, spare hot drinks etc etc etc :wink: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby CharlesT » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:39 pm

rockhopper wrote:presumably if you were in winter conditons your kit included ice axe, crampons, emergency shelter, gaiters, extra warm spare clothing, loads of extra food, spare hot drinks etc etc etc :wink: :lol:

....and pair of specially adapted brown trousers..... :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby darren » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Nope none of that gear just a pair of boots shorts waterproof and T'shirt. It was just a small flurry of snow on for a minute or two barely noticeable but I don't care I'm claiming to have done walk in winter conditions because I'm f*****g hardcore.
darren
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland