walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pigeons Loose Ends pt1

Pigeons Loose Ends pt1

Postby Ian Bayne » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 24/08/2014

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Going to take it easy a wee corbett in Glen Etive and sunday tiling Untill the pidg got in touch . A couple of hills in Kintail . So it was a Blues Brothers start A full tank of gas 160 miles its dark and Im not wearing sunglasses hit it . Left the house at 0330hrs and got to the layby at 0645 hrs Pigeon followed soon at 0715.
Booted and suited and off pretty smartish as per the norm we missed the small cairn which marks the start (even though a certain person has been here before ) stayed on the path for about 500m then headed straight up to the bealach a few rests were required as the pidg had just come back from Turkey but it didnt slow him down so all I done was chase the pigeon . Up to the bealach then the weather turned foul waterproofs on was the dress for the rest of the day .Picked up the path and headed up to the cairn one of the best built cairns Ive come across which was littered with orange peel by the last visitors Time 10am not a lot of views Mwis correct for a change low cloud and sleet.
Now onto pigeons nemisis he failed doing this in bad snow in november made good time over toCralaig then down to the ridge for the slog up to MFC got to the pinnacles the bypass was a good detour . Pigeon told me about the bypass being to slippy in the snow so he went over the pinnacles then turned back dont blame him I wouldnt have done it . Got up to the cairn just before 12noon to be greeted by more orange peel and a snow shower global warming my
a**e the cloud was drifting in and out and Dave showed me the delights of Glen Affric which await me . Stayed for about 20min then headed down to the cairn which marks the route down . Heavely weighed down with orange peel we madfe our way down to the stalkers path at the foot of Ciste Dhubh more bogs till we got to the lani track then a good walk back to the start meeting up the another two walkers who just done Ciste .
Got back to the layby just after 2pm a couple of pints in the Cluanie then down to the campsite at Sheil Bridge then to the Kintail for a few beers and to contemplate about our next adventure.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
to much ozou and beer
007.JPG
010.JPG
013.JPG
016.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
a wee pile of peel
020.JPG
021.JPG
023.JPG
027.JPG
032.JPG
Pigeon on the pinnacles
033.JPG
a scattering of orange peel
034.JPG
036.JPG
snow on the dug
038.JPG
040.JPG
046.JPG
048.JPG
051.JPG
Last edited by Ian Bayne on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Pigeons Loose Ends

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:16 pm

I have the same loose end problem. Managed the first one in atrocious weather one February and turned back, so much snow I was still wearing my crampons when I crossed the road to get to the car :lol:

Nice one.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland