walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Winter Bag

Winter Bag

Postby kaiserstein » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Looking for a decent bag for winter camping. I have camped in winter but only a few steps from the car so have just doubled up. Want to do a bit of backpacking this year so need something reasonbly lightweight - under 2kg - and warm.

I was hoping to get an Alpkit Pipedream / Skyehigh but looks like they won't be out anytime this year.

A quick scan of LFTO and other websites and the Rab Ascent 900 looks similar price / spec. Anyone had any experience of using this or recommend any others?

Thanks
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Re: Winter Bag

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:59 pm

I have used the Ascent 700 down to 0° with no problems, including silk liner in just t-shirt and shorts. If that's any help. :D
But, never been out in full winter conditions.
I think the 900 is pretty solid for all British weather except rain, but I'm sure you'll get some more useful advice from the seasoned vets on here! :lol:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:26 pm

Not sure about bags - I'd been using an old North Face Superlight for winter, hve recently switched to a Feathered Friends Penguin. We'll see how that works in the cold.

Main thing I wanted to say was get a good mat - the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm is a wonderful thing for a)insulating you from cold ground b) being comfy and c) being incredibly light and packable. No need for a separate foam base layer. I've been really pleased with it
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:39 am

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby whiteburn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Cumulus Panyam 600, 850 down, 1kg. Comfort rating -6C but I've used lower than this & still been comfortable.
I got mine last year for 250 Euro (delivered from Slovenia) don't what they are now.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby tenohfive » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Looking for something similar to an Alpkit PD800 I ended up with a Rab Ascent 700. Not had the chance to use it in winter yet mind, only bivvying at around 4 degrees in a downpour (toasty at that temp.)
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:46 pm

I've got the Ascent 900 and it is warm, even well below freezing.

It is a bit heavy and bulky... but is well made, very warm and comes with an excellent tough waterproof stuff sack.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ptc* » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Sleeping bags are always a tricky one because it really helps to know how well you can sleep in the cold.
Down weight is the measure of warmth as well as fill power, 600g of 900 fill power down is lighter and warmer, if just a wee bit than 600g of 800 fill power.
Alway look past the hype and over dramatic descriptions and look at down content, official temperature ratings and the hood design. a good hood that cinches in is worth it's weight in gold (coloured down).

The last few winters I've tested dozens of different bags and your favourite might come down to body shape which varies and makes a huge difference to how warm you'll be, a slim bag is warm on an average sized person, a wide bag feels cooler because of all the dead air. But a slim bag that's too tight is no use as you'll flatten all the baffles, ruining the insulation qualities of all that expensive down fill.
Sleeping bags really have to be tried on for size.

Btw, one of the warmest options I've ever tried was in two PHD sleeping bags designed to go one in inside the other as a flexible year-round system. No extra weight but extra insulation.
ptc*

Postby kaiserstein » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby chompish » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:16 pm

If you're not set on down, there's the snugpak chrysalis 5. at £100 it's a bargain.

I'm looking at getting one, seems pretty good and it has a built in expansion panel if you're horizontally challenged like me :lol:
chompish
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby tenohfive » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:07 pm

chompish wrote:If you're not set on down, there's the snugpak chrysalis 5. at £100 it's a bargain.

I'm looking at getting one, seems pretty good and it has a built in expansion panel if you're horizontally challenged like me :lol:

At nearly double the weight of the down equivalents I hope they chuck in a porter to carry it up Munro's for you :?
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby chompish » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:19 am

tenohfive wrote:
chompish wrote:If you're not set on down, there's the snugpak chrysalis 5. at £100 it's a bargain.

At nearly double the weight of the down equivalents I hope they chuck in a porter to carry it up Munro's for you :?

Double the weight and 1/5th of the price. It's a compromise and not that much heavier than my current bag & clothes combination :)
chompish
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:10   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk