walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

An caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby Backpacker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 06/09/2014

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1045m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I left Leia to plan this weekends activities and she came up with these 2.

We left Dundee around 8 and were in Crianlarich around 10 where we stopped for a bacon roll and coffee before heading off to the layby to start the walk.

We were parked pretty much next to the stile and hopped over, only to be welcomed by ankle deep bog.

When we hit the track, we followed it through the underpass and followed it up, we ignored the obvious path heading up and followed the track round as per the WH route before heading on to the hill, the intial ascent was boggy and pathless before we eventually hitting the path up. as we gained height, looking back we both thought that maybe we should have followed the initial path that we saw. The going up is pretty relentless but we finally made on to Sron Garbh, where; 1. The path improved & 2. The going got far far easier.

Leia coming over Sron Garbh

ImageP1180534 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

We followed the path up and we hit a rocky outcrop, 2 options, up and over or follow the path round, we followed the path round, had a wee scramble up and were pretty soon on the summit of out 1st objective, An Caisteal, however, despite being clear the whole way up, the clag rolled in just as we were approaching the summit, so no views

Leia on the summit of An Caisteal

ImageP1180539 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

We had a break up here behind a boulder to sit and have lunch before heading off

Leia surveying the way ahead

ImageP1180540 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The going down was good, despite a few big steps

Leia coming down to the bealach

ImageP1180543 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

At this point the rain decided to come on and wind picked up, nevertheless we followed the path up the side of Beinn a'Chroin until we hit a bit of a wall, now when I'm by myself I can be a bit more foolhardy but with Leia, I like to make sure everything is a bit safer, due to it being a bit wet and windy and not knowing what was ahead I headed back down down to find the bypass (which I found) however Leia decided stuff this and scrambled up. We met up on the summit plateau and heading over to the summit.

Leia on the summit of Beinn a'Chroin

ImageP1180544 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

All that was left was the descent & walk out, the descent, compared to most isn't too bad, following the crest of the hills as it winds its way down. we passed a guy who was struggling a wee bit with his knees and I commented to Leia that we'll hang back once we're at the car to make sure he gets back ok. Once on the glen floor the real fun begins, its impossible to lose the "path" but by god is it a bogfest, I lost count of the amount of times the bog was up over my ankles, this continued for the next mile or so where I had a little jig as we finally reached the track, being blocked by cows, we detoured round them and continued on our way, finally reaching the bogfest to get back to the car.

There were only 2 cars left when we got back to the layby, mine and what turned out to be the guy we has passed earlier. While we were getting changed, the other guy came through the underpass, so all was good.

a pretty enjoyable day except for the bogfest that is the walk out.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: An caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin

Postby hutchy1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

A great report Gary I remember that bog well from a couple of moths ago hated it
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Backpacker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:37 pm

hutchy1 wrote:A great report Gary I remember that bog well from a couple of moths ago hated it

Cheers Darren,

I'm glad Leia was with me on this one, not one I really want to repeat :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Silverhill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Two great hills of which I have got fond memories! Well done to Leia for showing you up at the wall on the ascent of Beinn a’ Chroin! That’s a great picture of the way down from An Caisteal, it really shows the character of this hill and the colours are beautiful too! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Nice one Gary, that is one of those boggy areas you will remember for a while :lol:
Done it twice & I haven't forgotten it :(
Shame really because the hills are really good :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland