walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Where we could find supplies?

Where we could find supplies?

Postby ionaritz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 am

Hi,

Me and a mate are going to try for the first time The Cape Wrath Trail. We have a gas stove, but, I've read that is not allowed to carry gas canisters on the plane, due to security rules.

We plan to fly to Edinburgh, and then take a bus to Fort William_Glenfinnan. Unfortunately, we can't buy them on Edinburgh, because we ariive at night an leave early in the morning.
Do you know if could be possible to find a place where we could buy on Fort William, or maybe Glenfinnan?
And is there any supermarket to take food?

Thanks in advance
ionaritz
Stravaiging

Re: Where could we find supplies?

Postby Gythral » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:07 am

Morrisons supermarket is right next to the railway/bus station in Fort William.
Nevis Sport just through the underpass, heading into the town centre from the railway/bus station, will sell the gas canisters, or Ellis Brigham which is heading out of town on the other side of the railway station.

There are other places for both in Fort William, those are just the closest to where you will arrive.
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Where we could find supplies?

Postby razzah » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 am

Fort William has lots of outdoor shops - you should find no problem finding gas canisters there. Also across from the bus station in Ft William is a large supermarket where you could stock up on food. As far as I know there isn't anything in Glenfinnan.
There are then smaller shops in Shiel Bridge, Strathcarron and Kinlochewe (from what I remember the Kinlochewe shop stocked gas canisters and other essential camping supplies). If you take a short detour to Ullapool there is a supermarket there and you can restock on supplies and gas canisters. North of this there is very little in the way of shops. I could not find one in Inchnadamph (or if there was it was shut) so would be wise to stock up on supplies for the rest of the way at Ullapool. Although there was a Spar shop in Kinlochbervie when we walked there from Riconnich.
razzah
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:22   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:16   Islands:36

Postby ionaritz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks guys!

So, we won't find any problem in Fort William? It's nice to hear it.
One last question:

I will upload a picture of the burner, only to be sure that is plugged the same way as yours.
ionaritz
Stravaiging

Postby Old Stag » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:51 pm

If in doubt about getting a gas canister that fits, maybe you should just buy your stove here too?

I'm starting the Cape Wrath Trail around the 11th or 12th, you guys will probably pass me at some point. Remember a lot of the bothies are going to be shut due to the stag stalking season.
Old Stag

Postby ionaritz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 am

Yeah, but it's a pitty not to use the one we have, mainly because we have allready bought lot of material, and, hiking is not cheap at all :lol:

Anyway, the stove is from Primus. I Suppose that the plugging is standard (maybe i'm supposing too much...), I can't attach a link to the website of primus because I'm a newbie, and I forgot to take a pic... :roll:

Anothe option I have been thinking about is carrying with us the gas canisters. Not in the hand luggage, but on the luggage you let at the check in. I think it won't be a problem... will it be?
ionaritz
Stravaiging

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:00 am

ionaritz wrote: I think it won't be a problem... will it be?

YES IT WILL BE!!

Most airlines use the same policy across the UK so a quick look at a random airline shows you are not allowed compressed gas canisters in hand or hold luggage.

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/baggage-prohibited%20items

Unless it is a really unusual fitting you should be ok getting your cannisters here though.

Again, a quick look at google shows Primus look like this Link to cotsworld website which is a common fitting.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ionaritz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:09 am

Ok guys, thanks again for your advice, We will buy our canisters on Fort William.

I really appreciate your help, it's wonderful how fast you're answering. This community rules :clap:
ionaritz
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion