walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice re campervanning in Glen Lochay please.

Advice re campervanning in Glen Lochay please.

Postby KeithS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi, I am planning a few days tidying up some red flags to the west of Killin.

Can anyone advise me if it is possible/practical to park my camper at the road end in Glen Lochy, somewhere around Kenknock please? Looking at Street View it does seem that there is a reasonably flat parking area near the start of the track up the hill to the north. Are there any local issues or restrictions that anyone is aware of?

I don't need any facilities, just a bit of flattish ground. I know you can never guarantee a parking space but I should be arriving in the early evening, hopefully when walkers will be leaving.

Thanks for any advice.

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Re: Advice re campervanning in Glen Lochay please.

Postby Martin 282 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi,
The area you mention is not v. flat but you may find a decent enough area. However there are often many cows (think of clegs & liquid crap) in that area, often with calfs,I have had trouble with them in the past & been charged once. My wife does not even want to go down there again! I don't think the locals are happy with us staying there either. I use the site at the East end of Killin (Maragowan) as it has good shower/toilet facilities, is quiet now the kids are back at school, & is closer to the pubs/shops. There are other good sites around the area & they are not too pricy. The walks are good though.
Martin 282
Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:49
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:150
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby Arthurs Eat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Co-incidentally I was there yesterday doing the two munro's to the south. There was a camper van parked in the car park at Kenknock there are also sign up about not going beyond there and no camping etc. Added about 4km to the walk. Lots of coo's on the road past there too! I think Keith shout is a good one.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Keith

I was down that road earlier this summer and didn't see an obvious place to park up safely.

But wasn't as far as Kenknock. In all probability it'll be quieter further down.

Not the best road I've been on. Tight as a dead heat!
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby basscadet » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:30 pm

My Dad and I were moved on from the car park at the end of the road a couple of years ago. You would be OK to park up at Finlarig castle in Killin I think..
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby KeithS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks to all for the very helpful replies.

I don't want to stay in Killin as that means I have to keep driving up and down the Glen each day and have to put things away so they don't break when driving on little windy bumpy roads.

What with warnings of coos and poos and clegs and possibly unfriendly locals I may well have a look at the end but then decide on the car park a little way back down the road, even if that adds a few miles to a couple of the walks. Having said that I would rather be in the vehicle than on foot if passing cows if they are unfriendly.

Fingers crossed for reasonable weather.

I may have to get my passport ready depending on what happens on Thursday :lol:

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby sonic » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:04 pm

basscadet wrote:My Dad and I were moved on from the car park at the end of the road a couple of years ago. You would be OK to park up at Finlarig castle in Killin I think..

Who was it that moved you on?
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 am

When I was driving down the Glen recently, I'm fairly sure there were signs for no overnight parking or camping. Whether that applied to the area of the signs or the whole Glen I couldn't say. But when I arrived at the Kenknock carpark, there was someone camped in the corner ...
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion