walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi from a new member who's new to Scotland

Hi from a new member who's new to Scotland

Postby sheilageorge » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:50 am

Hi folks, we've recently moved to Scotland and are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choice of walking spots. Any recommendations for places to start? Something that would be suitable for an adventurous 11 year old who enjoys a bit of a scramble and that has good camp sites nearby.
Can't wait to get out there.
sheilageorge
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Re: Hi from a new member who's new to Scotland

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:17 am

sheilageorge wrote:Hi folks, we've recently moved to Scotland and are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choice of walking spots. Any recommendations for places to start? Something that would be suitable for an adventurous 11 year old who enjoys a bit of a scramble and that has good camp sites nearby.
Can't wait to get out there.

Whereabouts are you based? Do you have a car?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sheilageorge » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

We're based in Edinburgh but have a car. We conquered our first monro yesterday - Ben Lomond.
IMG_20140914_194254_resized.jpg
Great walk despite the poor visibility and I saw my first adder (I'm an NI girl so this was a novelty).
IMG_20140914_180050_resized.jpg
We took it easier today and did Conic Hill for some cracking views of the Loch.
IMG_20140915_202051_resized.jpg
I'm in love with this country already! Looking forward to the next one.
sheilageorge
Hill Bagger

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 am

Closer to home you have the Pentland Hills; not so big but good for a day out. The Ochils and Campsie Fells nearer Glasgow also good for quick days out. A drive up to Perth then up to Glen Shee via Blairgowrie takes you into interesting high territory of the Eastern Cairngorms, go right on into Braemar then turn off toward the Linn O'Dee and you are in prime Cairngorm country. A walk up Glen Lui to Luibeg and Glen Derry takes you into the heart of the Cairngorms with Derry Cairngorm towering like a pyramid in the distance.
From Perth the A9 takes you up to Aviemore for fun in Rothiemurchus, or continue up toward Inverness to cross the country toward the west coast for Skye, Lochalsh or even further North to Ullapool.
Glen Coe is accessible by driving from Perth across to Crianlarich then North over Rannoch Moor.
The world, or the Scottish part of it, is your oyster!

Derry Woods.JPG
Derry Woods
Canoeing Loch Morlich.JPG
Canoeing Loch Morlich
Rothiemurcus Forest.JPG
Rothiemurchus Forest
Bidean from Glen Coe.jpg
Bidean from Glen Coe
Scotland May 09 163.jpg
Glen Coe
Camping at King's House.jpg
Camping at Kingshouse, Glen Coe/Rannoch Moor
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby sheilageorge » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the pointers. Wow, those views!! The Cairngorms are definitely next on the list. May just have to divide the country into chunks and work my way around each bit at a time. I'll save the north for when I have a good bit of time off and can do it justice.

What a mighty oyster it is!
sheilageorge
Hill Bagger

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi sheilageorge, exciting times ahead then, enjoy the website, enjoy the hills, your bound to bump into a walk highlander on a hill soon. So many to chose from! Welcome to the site! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...