walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mairg Group

Carn Mairg Group

Postby Physicistinboots » Mon May 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 03/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was thwarted in my first attempt to climb a Munro (Ben Vorlich) - the unreasonably sunny weather and beautiful views lead to an excessive number of breaks to stand and gaze in awe, unfortunately meaning that before we reached the top it was time to turn around and rush back down again before the last train departed Ardlui :? . Happily, no such problems on this route, rain, sleet, snow and fog discouraged standing still for very long :) Also a friend visiting from London had hired a car so no rush back.
IMG_1984.JPG

I can't comment much on the views as mostly they were not visible, but the few glimpses we caught suggested that they could be quite impressive. The route itself (we followed the instructions from this site) it fairly easy to follow even in fog, particularly as a large part of it follows a line of fence posts.
IMG_2007.JPG

The initial ascent is reasonably steep but once you have reached Carn Gorm then the other three summits only involve small descents and re-ascents. The only time we got slightly lost was on the way back down from Meall na Aighean, when we took a wrong turn shortly after the small hut by the stream. So we followed a sheep down the rest of the way and ended up by the river a few hundred metres away from Invervar.
Overall a good days walk, and nice to finally get started on the Munros :D
Physicistinboots

Munros:66   Corbetts:1
Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Carn Mairg Group

Postby iainwatson » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:13 am

well done! and so early in your 'bagging' career too

i'm going here on thu and cant wait,got round three on sat and loved it so i'm looking forwars to getting another 4 under my belt :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Carn Mairg Group

Postby monty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Nice one Physicistinboots,
Its a good feeling early on to bag a round of munros instead of just one so good effort. A good taste of awful weather also :lol: However this normally leads to bigger and bigger rounds :lol: Resist the temptation and enjoy them as they come. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland