walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

western birds

western birds

Postby paul2610 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:58 am

spent a few days on and off over on the west coast during what could be regarded as the best shorts and sun burn weather all year. Great hiking weather but terrible for landscape photo's, due to the haze etc and plus which, where as my wife regarded the trips as escapism from teens, it was for me a "mans toys" play time, being the first time out in our van conversion and having new camera gear to play with.

Had plans for a few Munro's, but I don't know when it came time to get up, I just couldn't be assed. This was relaxing in the van with a few beers weather not gallivanting around rock faces. Oh ye we did a few low level stuff as well and as it turned out we probably saw more wildlife by being essentially lazy hikers.

Apart from the heron (which we surprised walking around two lochs near kinlochewe) the other birds were captured while relaxing in or near the camper van. Must admit, I've never been much of a bird watcher but seeing these and other birds prancing and dancing around was far more amusing then any old soap opera.....

IMG_0137.jpg

first wren spotting for me and had seen it tip toe around this trunk for ages before I decided to get the camera out.

IMG_0195.jpg

The heron, a bird that normally fly's away ages before I've manged to get near it, but not this time....

IMG_0550.jpg

The wagtail. Had plenty of snaps of it doing its weird dance on the ground but had to get it flying although in this image its looks as though I may had Photoshop out a branch while it enjoys it meal - but no, there was no branch.

IMG_0693.jpg

Not near as good a shot as that above but I find it interesting as I seem to have captured the wagtail and its intended meal.

IMG_0370.jpg

the grand old spires of suliven and the wisps of new clouds. sorry had to include one landscape!

IMG_0315.jpg

And to end, a time lapse sunset.
paul2610
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings