walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craiglee

Craiglee

Postby rob munbett » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craiglee (Ayrshire)

Date walked: 19/09/2014

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was driving down to Glenlee Cottages to spend a walking weekend with friends and decided upon a slight detour to climb this hill on the journey down. I had never been down the road on the west side of Loch Doon so this was all new to me. The weather wasn't being particularly kind, but it was warm and dry, if a little misty on the tops. I parked in the large car par by Loch Doon Castle and saw a large green waymarker "Craiglee Trail". Ah good, I thought, a nice straightforward day - but this was a lie! Admittedly, a good path did wend its way up through the head high bracken to the top of the Wee Hill of Craigmulloch but after that .... forget it.
P1020439.JPG
Ascending the Wee Hill of Craigmulloch
P1020440.JPG
On the summit of the Wee Hill of Craigmulloch looking over to Craiglee
From here there was quite a steep descent to a lower flattish area of very long grass with ankle-breaking tussocks hidden beneath. I ploughed through this, aiming towards a green grassy rake running right to left up the hillside but the vegetation here was even higher so I moved over to the right where the ground was more solid with occasional rocky sections which was much more pleasant. Soon, a cairn came into view but this was not the summit, which was the trig, a few hundred metres further on.
P1020450.JPG
Approaching the cairn on Craiglee with the trig in the distance
P1020449.JPG
The summit trig looking back to the cairn
After a brief stop for a bite and drink, I headed back down towards the Wee Hill of Craigmulloch.
P1020451.JPG
On the summit of Craiglee looking over to the Wee Hill of Craigmulloch and Loch Doon
I decided, though, not to go back over the top but to by-pass this on the south, above the trees, and regain the track from the car park lower down. This proved to be a shorter route with less climbing but the terrain was horrendous and both knees and ankles took a pounding before the track was reached.
P1020452.JPG
Looking back to Craiglee from the descent - with the 'testing' terrain
It was a relief to get back to the car for a seat.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland