walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair from Derrydaroch

Beinn Chabhair from Derrydaroch

Postby findhornloon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 24/09/2014

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 1033m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Chabhair is well know for its boggy walk-in along the Ben Glas Burn, so I decided to try it from the north starting at Derrydaroch on the West Highland Way - recently described as the 'dry side' by grumpy old bagger. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45616

My planned route was to head along part of the WHW then go cross-country to follow the Allt a'Chuilinn burn before heading up towards Stob Creag an Fhithich. From there I was to proceed along the ridge to Meall nan Tarmachan and on to the sumit of Beinn Chabhair. It was a good plan and worked well but was hard going in long grass and heather without any hint of a path or even sheep/deer tracks, it took me 4.5 hours to reach the summit. The route is also pretty challenging along the ridge between Stob Creag an Fhithich and Meall nan Tarmachan to find a direct route between the steep rock faces along the way - very easy to step off a grassy slope and over the edge !!
Once you reach the well worn Ben Glas path along Meall nan Tarmachan it was plain sailing with great panoramic views and lots of ups and downs. The return route was more direct and relatively easy going, straight down the gully from Meall nan Tarmachan to the Allt a'Chuilinn burn - 3 hours for the return journey on tired old legs.

Not sure how 'dry' this route would be compared to the Ben Glas route from Inverarnan, I did this walk during a very dry September. There were certainly lots of wet and boggy areas along the banks of Allt a'Chuilinn burn which I imagine would join up after a rainy period.
findhornloon
Scrambler

Munros:54   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland