walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mairg circuit from Invervar

Carn Mairg circuit from Invervar

Postby jc185022 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 07/09/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1310m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn Gorm +3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I fancied a bit of a challenge this day and decided to take on these 4 following the Walkhighlands standard clockwise route.
There's not much to report on this walk in terms of things to look out for, or dangers. Its very straight forward and fairly easy despite the fact your dong 4 munros. Once your up its quite easy....OK the last one was a bit sore as you may start to tire by then.

Park in the car park below the phone box and find the path opposite the phone box or the directions to the detour through woods. You'll eventually come out of the woods, follow any signs and the path along side the burn, eventually crossing the burn and again follow the signs and path taking you away from the trees and up the hill. You can't go wrong from here, assuming you can see the path OK or follow GPS. The last bit of the climb is fairly steep and you'll be glad to see the summit.
On the way up here i thought i'd taken on too much as I kept looking over my shoulder at some of the massive hills I still had to climb (Creag Mhor a.k.a Meall na Aighean) and all the time walking away from them. Once you're on the hills though - you'll be surprised at the distance you cover.

IMG_20140907_121723.jpg
Carn Gorm Summit (1 of 4)

Came off the first summit and not too much of a drop to climb, although very rocky, back up before getting to the next summit. I imagine this would be quite scary looking in different conditions

IMG_20140907_125818.jpg
Meall Garbh Summit (2 of 4)

IMG_20140907_125824.jpg
Schiehallion in the distance just leaving Meall Garbh Summit

IMG_20140907_133656.jpg
Ben Lawers with An Stuc and Meall Garbh right in the forefront

The walk over to the next hill is a long one and I must have drifted off to sleep on my feet - I actually thought i'd climbed another Munro here, but it was just a top (I realised later).

IMG_20140907_134514.jpg
Schiehallion in the distance again. Think this is Carn Mairg - Meall a'Bharr top.

Walk gets more interesting here and quite rugged looking, Awesome boulders and out-cropping here.

IMG_20140907_140133.jpg
This part of the walk is quite impressive, my photography does not do it justice (can you see the wee people ?). You have to go on that "tor", because its there.

IMG_20140907_140615.jpg
Carn Mairg summit (3 of 4) looking back to the tor

Due to my earlier miscalculations I thought I was done with the "up" bits of walk and was celebrating in my head how easy this was and taking in the views and more pictures , but all the time knowing it couldn't be that easy. Went over the route again to make sure and yeah, there's one more to do and it looks like a big one. Dammit !

IMG_20140907_140956.jpg
Looking down over Glen Lyon

IMG_20140907_141007.jpg
Looking back from the TOR at Carn Mairg

IMG_20140907_141011.jpg
Looking back at the hills just walked from the TOR at Carn Mairg

The way down from Carn Mairg summit needs a bit of care, you have to go east and then south east to descend to the col so that you avoid the steeper section of the way off. When you look back you'll see why. At this point I noticed a guy who'd been ahead of me for miles heading off in another direction - turns out he's been doing all the munros and the tops so he was taking in Carn Mairg - Meall Liath as well. I eventually caught up with him on the last summit and walked part of the way off the hill - but of course he detoured to do another top on the way off

IMG_20140907_145318.jpg
Meall na Aighean summit (4 of 4)

All in all a good walk and very satisfying to bag 4 munro's. Compared to other recent walks this was not too tiring at all.
jc185022
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Carn Mairg circuit from Invervar

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:25 pm

that looked enjoyable and a good day for it :thumbup:
.....and somewhat better views than I had due to mist/clag - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Carn Mairg circuit from Invervar

Postby Wanderlust7 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Nice report and equally nice pics too, I done this two weeks after you in high winds and sadly did not see the first three tops really, had less than 20 m visibility almost all the way, still navigation was easy, but just a note for others, contrary to other posts and this I saw a NO PARKING sign, actually two at the phone box everyone goes on about, however, there is room at the entrance to the building site about 200m short of this area where I left my car.

A good and fast little circuit and of course a great drive home via Crainlarich.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland