walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mount Keen sans map?

Mount Keen sans map?

Postby chickadee » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Stupid question ahoy (well it is a post by me after all):

I'd like to do Mount Keen soon because autumn up that way is just my favourite thing. However, my map for the area is at my mum's house and I don't have a printer. What's it like, path-wise? Would I manage without bothering with a map? Normally on my own I'd take one even if the hill isn't supposed to be too difficult route-wise but I didn't need my map up Ben More or Ben Chonzie, so if it's along those lines I could go ahead.

Probably a touch of over-caution but hey I've only done 6 so far :lol:
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Mount Keen sans map?

Postby IamAJMiller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:02 am

chickadee wrote:Stupid question ahoy (well it is a post by me after all):

I'd like to do Mount Keen soon because autumn up that way is just my favourite thing. However, my map for the area is at my mum's house and I don't have a printer. What's it like, path-wise? Would I manage without bothering with a map? Normally on my own I'd take one even if the hill isn't supposed to be too difficult route-wise but I didn't need my map up Ben More or Ben Chonzie, so if it's along those lines I could go ahead.

There's a huge track then a clear path to the summit......however I wouldn't go anywhere without a map. The summit path could be missed in poor weather and disorientation in mist could send you off in the wrong direction. In short, you'd probably be fine, but for the sake of £6.99 is it worth it?
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:34
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby chickadee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 am

IamAJMiller wrote:
chickadee wrote:Stupid question ahoy (well it is a post by me after all):

There's a huge track then a clear path to the summit......however I wouldn't go anywhere without a map. The summit path could be missed in poor weather and disorientation in mist could send you off in the wrong direction. In short, you'd probably be fine, but for the sake of £6.99 is it worth it?

I know, that's why I'm so uncertain. I did a navigation course and it's drummed into my mind to always take one. So, because I forgot to print it off at work yesterday, I won't be going today which is a shame but I'm a bit too worn out from the week anyway. I am going home to Dundee via Fife and might do a Lomond instead!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby IamAJMiller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:55 am

Fair enough, I always think "What would Mountain Rescue say if they had to come get me and I had no map!" I think the telling off would be worse than the getting lost! :wink:
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:27 am

IamAJMiller wrote:Fair enough, I always think "What would Mountain Rescue say if they had to come get me and I had no map!" I think the telling off would be worse than the getting lost! :wink:

Tell them a fox ate it. Or a badger stole it for nesting material. You may have to gnaw off one of your own limbs to add credence to your story, but it would be worth it to avoid the public lynching doled out by self-appointed guardians...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby IamAJMiller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:29 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
IamAJMiller wrote:Fair enough, I always think "What would Mountain Rescue say if they had to come get me and I had no map!" I think the telling off would be worse than the getting lost! :wink:

Tell them a fox ate it. Or a badger stole it for nesting material. You may have to gnaw off one of your own limbs to add credence to your story, but it would be worth it to avoid the public lynching doled out by self-appointed guardians...

Definitely worth it!
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Print the map/route off WH, along with the route - problem solved :wink: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:19 pm

You are welcome to borrow mine if still needing it?
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:29 am

You can save yourself a few quid by visiting your local library who usually have or can order OS maps.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby chickadee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Print the map/route off WH, along with the route - problem solved :wink: :lol:

Yep, but lack of a printer prevented me doing that!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby chickadee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for maps offers/suggestions. It was to be a last-minute trip so I didn't have time to secure myself a map in any of those guises unfortunately! However, I'm now at my mum's so I can pick up my actual lovely map and make sure I have it for next time. I love maps, or maybe I'm weird.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:35 pm

No you are definitely not weird. Maps are fab. Nothing better than spreading a map out on the kitchen table and working out all sorts of stuff
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Backpacker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:41 pm

I going against the grain here and possibly shouted at :lol:

I'd have gone up without a map as it is a very good path to roundabout 100 yards of the summit, if it was misty, I'd have taken a bearing back to the path if the clag had rolled in.

I'm not advocating going out without a map but there's certain times when you can get away with it.

(PS I've always got a map)
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Lovely people sometimes lend you maps. Went to climb a Borders hill and forgot to take a Landranger map. Thought I could get away with tearing a page out of the atlas in the car ( 4 miles to the inch), but chancing it, went to ask at the farm where I could park that wouldn't obstruct them and mentioned that I was nervous doing it without a map whereupon they immediately loaned me theirs. (May help that I am, and look like a granny). When I got back home, I unpacked rucksack and found that I had stuffed it down the back after all and just hadn't felt it when I put my hand in. However, I can't think of a likely farm near Mount Keen where you could have tried it on.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:44 am

When your in Dundee head to Waterstones and pick up three OS maps for the price of two, since you love maps :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion