walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lakes Day 3 - Lingmell/Scafell Pike/Great End

Lakes Day 3 - Lingmell/Scafell Pike/Great End

Postby stevesey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great End, Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Great End, Lingmell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 24/09/2014

Time taken: 8

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1175m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Several of our group where keen to do Scafell Pike - so good weather on Wednesday provided the opportunity for a trip to Lingmell/Scafell Pike via the Corridor Route with a stop off at Great End on the way back.

One of our group was keen to bag the Pike again after a mislead (and legendary) walk where a friend of mine missed the corridor route in cloud and ended up going below Great End, over Esk Pike and half way to Bowfell before the cloud lifted! For me it was the 3rd visit to the highest spot in England (all of those in the last in 15 months) but my chance to finish off the Scafell massif by bagging Lingmell and Great End.

track (7).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This turned out to be a straight forward walk in excellent conditions. After the rain the previous day Seathwaite was busy and we got the last parking spaces on the left near the farm (when we left at 6pm there were cars about half way back along the road).

It's a steady and reasonably easy ascent all the way from the farm to Lingmell Col - having checked descriptions of the start of the corridor route (and aided by Viewranger) that bit was no problem. At the Col most of us wandered up to Lingmell, leaving our rucksacs and two ladies (whose prime objective was to reach the Pike) at the Col eating lunch. Once back the rest of us had a quick lunch and we all headed up to the Pike. Summit photos etc were taken and then we headed off (over the boulder fields) to Great End. After the short detour to Great End we headed down to Esk Hause and Grains Gill.

A short report for such a great walk. The photos speak for themselves really.

Viewranger track here: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTE1ODI3Nw==

Photos here: https://plus.google.com/photos/106459429880001195754/albums/6063823780753290273
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Lakes Day 3 - Lingmell/Scafell Pike/Great End

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Wow, you had great weather, and the excellent pics give a powerful impression of the wonderful countryside.

I did a similar route last year, but starting at Wasdale Head: Yewbarrow, then Red Pike, Kirk Fell, Great Gable, Great End, Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Lingmell, and Scafell - supposed to be one of the most scenic routes there is; but only saw clag the whole way!! Mr Sod and his law. :(

Your pics remind me: I need to repeat it!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Lakes Day 3 - Lingmell/Scafell Pike/Great End

Postby stevesey » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Wow, you had great weather, and the excellent pics give a powerful impression of the wonderful countryside.

I did a similar route last year, but starting at Wasdale Head: Yewbarrow, then Red Pike, Kirk Fell, Great Gable, Great End, Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Lingmell, and Scafell - supposed to be one of the most scenic routes there is; but only saw clag the whole way!! Mr Sod and his law. :(

Your pics remind me: I need to repeat it!

That's a big circuit to do in the clag - I did the Woolpack Walk in Jul was lucky and had similar weather to last Wed (however then I had contingency plans for other routes if the weather wasn't good enough). Probably good if you couldn't see the NE ridge of Great Gable came down that onto Kirk Fell last year - looking back from below it looks pretty daunting (and vertical).

Have an elongated Yewbarrow to Pillar circuit planned for my next big trip :-)
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland