walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munros in Skye

Munros in Skye

Postby algorhythm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:52 am

Hi, I'm planning on a trip up to Skye next summer to try and tick off all the Munros there with some friends. I was wondering what a realistic time frame would be for completing them all in so I can book accomodation that will provide us with enough time to get them done!

Skill wise I have done 4 in a day before (Ben Lui and Ben Oss range in Tyndrum) but I'm not so sure my friends would cope as it is a mentally tough climb. How would the hills in Skye compare?

We'll probably have a vehicle to drive up there and get around and I'm contemplating camping for the nights we're hillwalking then possibly stay in a hotel (with spa facilities if theres anyone knows of any there!) on the night before we return home. The alternative would be to stay in a self-catering house/cottage for the time we're up there. I reckon that would be the best option as it would be beneficial to have a warm dry place to come back to every night.

Also any advice on stuff to do/places to go in the evening would be great.

We won't be heading up till after next spring so no hurry for a reply but I would appreciate any advice. Cheers.
algorhythm
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:38
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:13

Re: Munros in Skye

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:30 am

Head to Glen Brittle campsite, the closest to the Cuillin. No nearby pub though. I would say a week assuming the weather was fine. To answere your question, different class! Hands on required for most of them. Bruach na FRithe from The car park at 423258 and Sgurr na Banachdaich from the YHostel are probably the two easiest along with Blabheinn from the B8083 road. Some of the others will require ropes etc depending which way you approach them. Head for heights a Must! Enjoy.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:02 pm

Agree with Rod and I'm sure others will advise similar.
Skye is so unique and weather is something else.
If you can't afford a guide for your group, then plan on 1 or 2 visits a year until you have done all of the Cullins.
It is very special and worth every minute, but unless you are VERY, VERY lucky, the chances of you 'bagging' all of them in a week, as a novice, without a guide is small.
If your group could afford a guide, then you'll make good ground in most weathers...............
But, most importantly go for it, it is amazing.
Check out some of the photos, footage and reports on here, it's GREAT. :D
Good luck
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:47 pm

I can only echo what RodM and JepsonS have said: this is truly the finest place on the planet.

Take a look at some of the WH reports - (eg Weaselmaster's) - you can't fail but be blown away!!

But it is very rough terrain, like nothing I've experienced anywhere else in the UK; so it would be worth reading which are the most accessible munros , and aiming to do those first (I'm not sure about the approaches because I've only done the ridge).

BTW: the rock is very very rough in places - like sandpaper - so worth taking gloves for the steeper ones.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:28 am

5 outings is a comfortable schedule:
Eag, Dubh Mor and Alasdair
In Pinn and Mhic Choinnich
Banachdich, Ghreadaidh and Mhadaidh
Bruach, Basteir and Gillean
Blaven

If you get enough good weather in a week, count yourself very lucky!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:19 am

If you went out into the Cuillin every day for a week, your hands will be in a terrible way.. really rough rocks up there! :roll:
2 days is about as much as I can handle on the trot, and I'm not a woos nor nothing :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby stevehgate » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:02 am

Having just done all 12 Munros in 5 days in September ,my advice would be to hire a certified British mountain guide,

The Cuillins are unique for Britain and will catch out the unwary and unprepared.

we didn't have to worry about navigation ,which is absolutely essential, the roped sections were a breeze and the abseils exhilarating .
check out ,Cmd, Aonach Eagach , Liathach , An Teallach before you commit .
stevehgate
Stravaiging

Munros:223   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:117   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion