walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Keeping it Healthy - A Trossachs Toddle!!

Keeping it Healthy - A Trossachs Toddle!!

Postby dooterbang » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 02/10/2014

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 350m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today's walk was used as a vehicle to promote a physical activity, and possible healthier lifestyle, for staff members at the extremely busy acute psychiatric admissions ward in Hairmyers Hospital. This was part of a group project alongside 2 fellow Mental Health Nursing students to plan and implement a fitness intervention within the community. There is a vast amount of research and evidence showing the positive benefits when doing a physical activity on a regular basis, especially walking, and the impact this has on mood :)

We, the students, agreed on Ben A'an as the hill of choice as this represented a good introduction to hillwalking. The distance wasn't overly long, it had a good path, was via woodland and had stunning views from the summit...on a good day that is, and thankfully it was :)

Luckily my friend and qualified Mountain Leader guide, Gordon Dowling, volunteered his time to lead the walk and share his knowledge of the outdoors, and pass on some navigation tips. So after meeting at the car park we started the walk at 10.00am. Carol (the boss), Joyce ( a nurse), Andy (student & NHS worker), Amanda (student) Gordon (our guide) and myself (student & NHS worker) set forth through the woodland for the summit of Ben A'an!

It was a lovely hot sunny day, clothing was soon removed to cool down. Joyce was flying up the hill and was finding the ascent no problem at all whilst Carol was more methodical in her approach and appeared to be pacing herself :wink: . This was also Amanda's first attempt at hillwalking, she had reported a fear of heights :shock:

Some nimble foot work and balance required to cross the layers of mud!

It wasn't long before reaching the last of the woodland, an opportunity for some rest. Amanda had stolen her children's snack size mars bars and offered them to everyone, we all tucked in :D

Our resting point....so Gordon, where is the summit??? Up there!!

I'm sure I heard gasps from some quarters!

Amanda posing, still dreaming of being a model eh...

Ben Venue

The final 3rd was steep, with plenty of rocks, and demanded some extra stops to catch ones breath...but soon we all reached the summit and took in the wonderful views.

Loch Katrine and Ben Venue

Andy

Myself & Amanda

Conquering her fear of heights...!

Andy & Amanda

The three amigos (students)

Group photos...

From left to right> Gordon, Carol, Joyce, Amanda, Paul (me) and Andy.

We spent around half an hour at the summit before leaving. There was some apprehension about the descent but it provided little cause for concern and we soon reached the car park. It appeared everyone enjoyed the activity, Carol and Joyce indicating possible further outings. Gordon and I started our hillwalking through a free club many years ago and we passed this information to everyone. The club has many experienced leaders and provides many walks and activities for varying fitness levels.
http://www.meetup.com/scottish-hillwalkers/

Gordon also has his own website and offers navigation courses over 2 days, and guided walks.
http://www.scottishhilladventures.co.uk/

Healthy Working Lives is an organization funded by the NHS which provides support to workplaces to improve health and wellbeing, it offers a range of resources to aid this.
http://www.healthyworkinglives.com/

Hillwalking is just one of many activities, amongst many, in keeping healthy. The trick is to find something you enjoy and make it regular. Well done everyone :clap:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Keeping it Healthy - A Trossachs Toddle!!

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 pm

As fine an introduction to hillwalking as you will ever get,one if not my all time favourite hill anywhere,thanks for posting.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:42 pm

The best small hill in the book in my opinion :D

And a great hill to introduce people to the joys of hill-walking :clap:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:46 pm

A grand day for it, dooters - good to see you all enjoyed it :thumbup: Have read a few reports on this hill but not managed to get to it yet - certainly is a great viewpoint. Interesting point about HWL - we have the gold award at work with various activities throughout the year to get us more active and health conscious - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:59 pm

You lucky person, getting to do this in work/ study time! A fabulous day! :D
dooterbang wrote: There is a vast amount of research and evidence showing the positive benefits when doing a physical activity on a regular basis, especially walking, and the impact this has on mood :)
Hear, hear!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:51 pm

Brilliant idea and looks like you knocked it off with the route and weather.
I will ask if we can do it within our healthcare team......
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:10 pm

smashing!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Good stuff your a sound fella :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby dooterbang » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:As fine an introduction to hillwalking as you will ever get,one if not my all time favourite hill anywhere,thanks for posting.

It's a cracker :)

rockhopper wrote: Interesting point about HWL - we have the gold award at work with various activities throughout the year to get us more active and health conscious - cheers :)
I'm sure you manage that on your own with the amount you do :lol:

jimandandrea wrote:Brilliant idea and looks like you knocked it off with the route and weather.
I will ask if we can do it within our healthcare team......
We got lucky with the weather, thankfully. Hope you manage some sort of outing.

Cheers everyone.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Dwiea » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:54 am

I have worked for the NHS since 2007 and have always been quite surprised that considering the emphasis on employee health that there is no NHS 'endorsed' walking club.

I worked for Ayrshire & Arran and they had walking leaders (wee walk around the hospital). And now I am with National Services Scotland there is Jogging and Walking leaders that do things in the afternoon. There is also a cycle clinic so you can get your bike fixed.

It would be good if there was a NHS walking club or trust specific ones or even just an NHS 'affiliated' walking club and have it mentioned in Healthy Working Lives emails that are always sent out.
Dwiea
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Quote.. There is a vast amount of research and evidence showing the positive benefits when doing a physical activity on a regular basis, especially walking, and the impact this has on mood :) Quote

I try and encourage my patients into walking by using all the evidence for improving mood with exercise

Nice one :) Still to get up this wee hill.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Great report - couldn't agree more with the comments on mood and activity, health and exercise. Just back from a holiday trekking in the Andes - meeting people who farmed at over 4000 metres (with little mechanical help) men did portering to earn extra money while the women acted as shepherds, farmers, textile workers, child care assistants, cooks and housekeepers. Not sure who had the hardest time on this :D :D .

Like the stupid westener i am, I assumed that life expectancy would be pretty short, only to be told that for men it was about 78 yrs and women 88 yrs :shock: :shock:

Yes exercise and health do seem to go together.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland