walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Udlaidh cleaned up at last

Beinn Udlaidh cleaned up at last

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 pm

I am happy to report that the filthy mess on the summit of this Corbett is now gone. Donald Mcneil and the Forestry Comission have done a fantastic job of cleaning it up. It wasn't their mess in the first place, of course - they just got lumbered as the current owners. You can see my photos of the now almost pristine summit here
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46519&p=255815#p255815

I think it's totally unaccepable that Scotland's glorious hills should be fouled up like this one was. But local authorities have the power to force people to clean up their filth, so if you find a ghastly mess FOR CHRIST'S SAKE COMPLAIN!!
you can do it by E-mail. If NO-ONE COMPLAINS, NOTHING gets done! (end of rant)
Today's a Red letter day for me
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Beinn Udlaidh cleaned up at last

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:40 am

I was up Udlaidh in August before then clean up and was intrigued by the ruins of what appeared to be an FM transmitter originally mounted on a road trailer. Does anyone know any more details ?
Well done to all who helped remove the scrap metal, presumably airlifted off the summit and straight to a scrapyard, a couple of hundred quid would help pay for the cost of removal.

On a nearby beallach between Corbetts Beinn nam Fuaran and Cam Chraig there's whats left of an antique wind turbine that powered an electric fence. Old batteries and bits of electrical componants litter the ground.
Plenty of trip hazards as the tangled coils of rusty wire lie in wait to snag your ankles.
Great place for a wind turbine but it probably spun itself to destruction during a storm.
Uncle Grumpy
Walker

Corbetts:69
Fionas:5   Donalds:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion