walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inchnadamph meet day 1 - little hills, big views

Inchnadamph meet day 1 - little hills, big views

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Reidh, Creag Loisgte

Date walked: 04/10/2014

Time taken: 4.55 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 930m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2000 Marilyns: Creag Loisgte, Beinn Reidh.
Date: 04/10/2014.
Distance: 12 + 8km
Ascent: 320 + 610m
Time taken: 1 hour, 50 minutes + 2 hours, 45 minutes.
Weather: Occasional showers with sunny spells

With no-one around to look after the cat, I had to miss out on the Friday night of the meet. Saturday didn't dawn particlarly promisingly, so I decided to make a leisurely drive up to Inchnadamph, doing a couple of small hills along the way. First stop was Creag Loisgte, which I knew I could get quite close to by driving up the forestry track towards Duag Bridge.

Creag Loisgte.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I grazed the bottom of the car on the track in places - a bit of a surprise as it is a pretty decent track. The key was to drive a little off-centre (although I don't remember having the same problem with a fully-laden car on the approach to Seana Braigh 8 years ago). The sun was out when I pulled into a small layby, and I followed some rougher vehicle tracks following the Allt an Caisean over towards Croick. I then took a line up towards Lochan Sheumais, passing between deer fences without having to climb any. The ominously named Cnoc nam Bad Bog was to my right, and there were some mild peat hags to contend with on the approach to the summit of Creag Loisgte. Great views north to Ben More Assynt and Breabag to compensate.

Ben More Assynt:

Beinn Mhor Coigach across Lochan Sheumais:

There were also plenty of other hills in view, with Seana Bhraigh and An Teallach appearing once at the summit. I had endured a brief shower on the ascent, but it was sunny now and I could enjoy watching the showers pass over other hills instead.

Suilven and Canisp:

Suilven:

An Teallach:

Creag an Duine and Seana Bhraigh:

Breabag and Ben More Assynt:

Strath Chuileannach:

Coigach from the summit:

To return I decided to head more directly to the vehicle track over to Croick. There was some 'new' forestry that didn't appear on my map (published 1976 :? ), but there were wide fire breaks through it and a gate in the deer fence.

Firebreak down to track:

The going on the fire break was no rougher than the open hillside, and there were a lot of deer hiding amongst the trees.

Hide and seek:

Less hidden:

Then back onto the track for an easy stroll back to the car, with some pleasant autumn colours. Like many of the lower hills in this area, this one was of little interest topographically, but well worth a visit for the feeling of remoteness and great views of the more impressive surroundings.

Carn nan Conbhairean in the sun:

Cnoc nan Caorach:

On the drive over to Inchnadamph, I pulled in near Ledmore to get a photo of Suilven - this is probably one of the most impressive angles you can see it from.

One of my favourite roadside views – Suilven from Loch Borralan:

My next hill of the day was right opposite the hotel and hostel at Inchnadamph. It wss after 4 pm when I started, but I didn't think it would take too long. Actually I was nearly turned back by the River Loanan, as it was very sluggish at this point and many feet deep. I still had dry feet and was feeling a little lazy, so didn't fancy practicing my usual wading tactics. Eventually, I found a faster flowing section upsrtream that was only ankle-deep, and easy enough to splash through.

Beinn Reidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Quinaig and Loch Assynt:

Beinn Uidhe:

Inchnadamph:

Beinn Uidhe and Conival:

Conival:

Awkward river to cross – River Loanan:

Once over the river (and some awkward deep tussocks on the floodplain), the going was more straightforward. I had intended to head north a little to include Beinn Garbh and get some views down Loch Assynt, but somehow I ended up on another bump further south. Once I had descended steeply off this, I wandered across easier ground directly to Beinn Reidh. It was a little breezy on the summit, but compensated by stunning views of Suilven and Stac Pollaidh. Might be worth a morning visit to get a better look at these, but even in silhouette they were imposing.

Back to Inchnadamph and Conival:

Ben Stack and Foinaven:

Beinn Garbh and Quinaig:

Quinaig:

Suilven:

…with Stac Pollaidh as well:

Although it was getting late, a return around the lochans and under Beinn Garbh looked too appealing to miss out on, so I headed this way. The last of the sun hit Beinn Garbh at just the right moment, picking it out in deep red.

Summit lochans:

Some crepuscular rays out to the west:

Beinn Garbh catches the sun:

I was just going to pass under Beinn Garbh due to the time, but it was an appealing rocky pyramid, so at the last minute I scrambled up it.

West from Beinn Garbh:

Canisp and Suilven from Beinn Garbh:

Ben Stack and Glas Bheinn:

More great views, but it still wasn't positioned well for views down Loch Assynt. I think you'd need to head north again for this. Now the daylight was fading, so I dropped back down to Inchnadamph along a similar route to the one I had come up. There were some faint path scrapings in places which I hadn't soptted on the way up.

Inchnadamph:

I crossed the river at a different but similar location slightly further upstream, fully soaking my boots this time. Then dinner, beer and whisky in the hostel (where I ended up staying, despite having vague plans to camp). Great place for a meet, and also much better weather than the forecast apocalypse 8)

Moon above Inchnadamph:

Back home the next day, the cat had missed me and decided to help write this report, meaning it took twice as long as usual...

Rare show of cat affection:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Inchnadamph meet day 1 - little hills, big views

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Brilliant, photos are superb. This just goes to show why it's so worthwhile climbing these little Marilyns,for the views to the bigger mountains. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dooterbang » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Some stunning views, never tire from seeing shots of this area.

Nice view of Suilven. When I cycled around Loch Assynt, Achiltibuille and Lochinver it provided great views of all the Assynt hills, very different from the usual ones.

Cheers
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Excellent malky - stunning views right enough and the autumnal light enhances them even more - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Cracking photographs there a bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:22 pm

Fabulous views - particularly like Suliven.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Nice one Malky, fantastic area and never tire of looking at photo's of Suilven :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland