walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Isla then up Caderg 2 (Failed Cairn of Claise)

Glen Isla then up Caderg 2 (Failed Cairn of Claise)

Postby AngusCheyne » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Date walked: 05/10/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Should I have proceeded?

Coming back to regular walking after a long break (30 yrs!! many jobs, bringing up a family etc.).

I got lost a couple of weeks ago and got a bit of a fright (see my blog post here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46164 )

So double mapped and compassed, I cycled to top of GlenIsla (targeting Cairn of Claise again) and then scrambled to to top of Caderg ridge, into the cloud.

Visibilty was only 20 metres (see my photo looking up Glen Canness). I took a bearing for the summit and started off.
Canness Glen 5th Oct 2014resized.jpg

I went about 100 metres or so an then had a complete crisis of confidence.

Turned on my toes and headed home.

I have used compasses many times in the past (I achieved the Chief Scouts Award in my youth) but normally for getting out of trouble, I was heading INTO trouble.

So, my question to you guys and girls is; (without a GPS, it's on my shopping list) would you have confidence to follow your compass only, both ways?

I feel, that I probably took the correct decision for my current stage, but am interested in any comments from more experienced walkers.
Last edited by AngusCheyne on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngusCheyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Glen Isla then up Caderg 2 (Failed Cairn of Claise)

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:35 pm

AngusCheyne wrote:Should I have proceeded?

If you weren't comfortable, then you did the right thing.

Would I attempt it? Yes, but I probably wouldn't try walking on a direct bearing from Caderg to the summit of Cairn of Claise - it's too long a leg without enough definite features and too easy to drift off bearing. For example, I might hug the edge of the steep ground to Druim Mor, then take a bearing along the broad ridge to the col, and then aim off to the to hit the SW ridge and then follow that to the summit. Or I might head north to hit the Clais Burn, follow this to its source and then take a bearing to the summit.

It might help to go out with someone experienced a few times, or else go on a navigation course. I'm sure you will soon remember how to do it all!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Glen Isla then up Caderg 2 (Failed Cairn of Claise)

Postby AngusCheyne » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks jmarkb,

Yes I looked at doing shorter legs, but felt with a lack of real landmarks, I might compound my errors.

Interesting that I could just get my GPS and "Satnav" myself to the top, but maybe this is cheating? (Or is it just modern!)
AngusCheyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland