walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Knee injuries

Knee injuries

Postby claytonm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 pm

I have a knee injury (undiagnosed) which is sadly keeping me off the hills. Doc sent me for an xray which came back all clear. After 12 weeks rest I attempted ben vane but the pain came on shortly after starting to descend. As soon as I was down on the flat the pain faded to mildly uncomfortable.
I have never previously had any kind of walking injury and this one is really starting to get to me. The fact that I'm so close to 100 isn't helping either!

Not looking for a medical diagnoses, just wondering if anyone has had similar?

I'm also going to try some physio, can anyone recommend a good sports physio in the Dundee area? Did the physio help others?

Thanks
claytonm
Munro compleatist

Munros:103   

Re: Knee injuries

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:25 pm

claytonm wrote:I have a knee injury (undiagnosed) which is sadly keeping me off the hills. Doc sent me for an xray which came back all clear. After 12 weeks rest I attempted ben vane but the pain came on shortly after starting to descend. As soon as I was down on the flat the pain faded to mildly uncomfortable.
I have never previously had any kind of walking injury and this one is really starting to get to me. The fact that I'm so close to 100 isn't helping either!

Not looking for a medical diagnoses, just wondering if anyone has had similar?

I'm also going to try some physio, can anyone recommend a good sports physio in the Dundee area? Did the physio help others?

Thanks

Close to 100, and still climbing the hills, well done! :lol: :lol: Sorry, not knowing exactly what your knee problem is, might I suggest trying to build up your muscles on each side of your knee, ie straight leg raises with say 2kilo weight secured to your shoe or trainers, and sitting on chair raising the leg until straight say 3 reps of 20 and build up from there. Do both legs, so as one is resting the other is being exercised. If there is pain, stop. Give it a try and fingers crossed after a few weeks this will hopefully start building up other muscles which will hopefully assist in taking the pressure off the knee joint. Hope that helps.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby claytonm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks Rodmeister. Yeah it's a difficult one to explain but after 3 months I was hoping for a pain free walk.

I think I will just have to go down the physio exercises type route and lay off it for another few weeks. I will get myself a pair of ankle weights and try that, fingers crossed.
claytonm
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 pm

claytonm wrote:Thanks Rodmeister. Yeah it's a difficult one to explain but after 3 months I was hoping for a pain free walk.

I think I will just have to go down the physio exercises type route and lay off it for another few weeks. I will get myself a pair of ankle weights and try that, fingers crossed.

Hi Claytonm, good luck, hope the info helps, there is nothing worse than being injured and desperate to get going up the hills. I'm no physio, but have been an active Qualified Athletic Coach for nearly twenty years, so have come across various knee problems during this time. Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi mate, I had the same problem as you when I started this Munro malarkey a few years ago. When coming off the hill my knee was agony and I couldn't bend it and it developed into the other knee as I was over compensating. Turns out the reason was I'd stopped playing competitive football around six months previously and my hamstrings, calves and Achilles had all tightened up and it led to putting more pressure on my knee ligaments. I was given heaps of exercises by the physio to improve my suppleness and bobs your uncle, no pain! I'm no doctor so can't prescribe your ailment but thought I'd pass this on. All the best, Matt.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby claytonm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Cheers for the input. Forgot to mention the pain is from the outside middle of the knee.

It's even more annoying as it first hurt after doing 2 easy munros compared to something like the south shiel ridge which gave me no bother at all.

Guess stretches and physio is the next option, followed by a pair of walking poles.
claytonm
Munro compleatist

Postby allanglens » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:08 pm

There are a few other threads on knee injuries, different diagnoses and treatments, on here, but most common comments are that building up strength in the knees and surrounds, and using walking poles to take some of the strain / impact when descending, definately help.
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby Red Peak » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:31 am

Sounds identical to the pain I used to get on descents: absolute agony on the outside of the knee. I started using walking poles and the pain was no more; I can't recommend them enough.
Red Peak
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:27
Fionas:23   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:313
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:08 am

Try Glucosamine, that's what i did. I still get a wee niggle now and then but not as bad as it was plus i don't need to wear a knee strap anymore.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby JimboJim » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:46 am

Have had similar probs myself. As mentioned, several other posts on WH have good tips.

For me _ walking pole helps.
Also -
going slower on the up slopes,
smaller steps up - and down,
pushing off with weaker foot, i.e., for me, the right foot, as I normally lead with my left, to make a larger, more difficult step.

Mine has gone just now, so haven't had to resort to knee supports, medication, etc, but know how you feel. Fingers crossed, for me - and you!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:03 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Try Glucosamine, that's what i did. I still get a wee niggle now and then but not as bad as it was plus i don't need to wear a knee strap anymore.

Husband asked GP if he should continue with glucosamine, and was told "If it's acting as a placebo, that's fine, but in fact it's like thinking that eating hair will cure your baldness."
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:27 pm

I once banged my knee hard on the summit cairn of Stob Ban (Mamores) in a whiteout, icy conditions and strong winds. It ached for months afterwards, but I finally cured it by going for a 20 mile walk over the Carneddau in Wales the following summer. I was younger and more resilient then, but I guess the moral is that exercise helps. As others have said, walking poles and straps can also help.

Well done on still being up for bagging hills at close to 100.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby garyoppolis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:58 pm

I've developed a similar complaint recently which took me completely by surprise as I've never had any problems with my joints before. I had acute pain on the outside of the knee that kicked in during descents. Googling the symptoms left me pretty confident it was IT Band Syndrome. After starting some of the exercises it was immediatly obvious that some muscles in my right hip are much weaker than those in my left. So far a bit of stretching and exercise seems to be helping.

I'd start by googling the symptoms; there's plenty of physio type people on youtube that cover a range of common problems.

Just don't ask Caberfeidh...
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby claytonm » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:44 pm

According to mr physio it's cause I have an extremely tight left leg muscles, in particular my calf. Been given 3 stretches and a minimum 4 weeks off the hills.

If it fixes me I would be quite happy with that.

Cheers for all the input, some handy stuff.
claytonm
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion