walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hill Top Viewfinder App

Hill Top Viewfinder App

Postby sdsmart » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Hesitating to post this, but here goes...

I was thinking I'd like to have a simple viewfinder app - something which would produce a graphic a little like the ones you often see on metal or stone discs (like on top of Lochnagar) with radiating lines indicating locations and distances of near and distant hill tops. The app would centre on your current location, and rotate the graphic if you rotated your phone.

It may be that there is such a thing already in existenc, and I've just not managed to find it - if anyone knows if there is one (which includes Scottish hills) please let me know.

If there isn't an app already, please let me know if you think this would be a good idea. I have a technical background, and I might consider developing a wee app to do this.
sdsmart
Mountaineer

Munros:262   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Hill Top Viewfinder App

Postby SuperMillie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:28 pm

I thunk you"ll find this topic already being discussed in the General Discussion section here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46712
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Re: Hill Top Viewfinder App

Postby Hill-loving lady » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:31 pm

sdsmart wrote:Hesitating to post this, but here goes...

I was thinking I'd like to have a simple viewfinder app - something which would produce a graphic a little like the ones you often see on metal or stone discs (like on top of Lochnagar) with radiating lines indicating locations and distances of near and distant hill tops. The app would centre on your current location, and rotate the graphic if you rotated your phone.

It may be that there is such a thing already in existenc, and I've just not managed to find it - if anyone knows if there is one (which includes Scottish hills) please let me know.

If there isn't an app already, please let me know if you think this would be a good idea. I have a technical background, and I might consider developing a wee app to do this.

Haven't found such an app - can see its merits though, not ALL hills are Schiehallion after all LOL. Currently I have the Munro Bagging app on mine, which is pretty useful tbh, especially as I'm now venturing into really new territory for me and it's nice to know what you're looking at.
Also, nowt like the updating facility as you're stood on the cairn with the hipflask at the ready!!! :lol: :lol:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk