walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Azure, cobalt, emerald, turquoise - jewel colours of Iona

Azure, cobalt, emerald, turquoise - jewel colours of Iona

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Route description: Iona Abbey, Dùn Ì and the north end

Date walked: 05/09/2014

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As a student way back in 1969 I spent a week on Iona...... and had never been back since. I thought Pete would like it so it was a 'must do' while we were on Mull. But the day we planned to go the weather wasn't looking good so it was left to the day after our clag-ridden climb of Ben More - except that the morning dawned misty and murky and we didn't fancy the long drive on single track Mull roads to see nothing. Then at 1.00 it cleared and we decided to go for it. :wink:

Arriving on the island at 2.30 we knew we couldn't see it all so chose to explore the north end. Not having access to the WH route to follow this isn't exactly it.... but think the photos are worth sharing anyway. 8)

The last time I crossed it was a cold grey day in March - this looked rather more inviting. :D

Iona from Fionnphort
DSC_1568-large.JPG

I've done nothing to enhance the colour on any of these shots - the sea really was that colour.

From ferry
DSC_1581-large.JPG

We walked up the road past the ruins of the nunnery, Maclean's Cross and the organic vegetable gardens for the hotel but I had to stop and take a photo or two of Iona Abbey, trying to remember what it was like with a bunch of 1960s students all crammed into dormitories in what felt like a proper monastery with cloisters. :angel:

Think we behaved ourselves. Kind of. :wink:

Iona Abbey
DSC_1585-large.JPG

Leaving the ghosts of the past we strolled on up the road with dogs firmly on lead because of freely grazing sheep. We saw the sign for the highest point Dun I (which if we'd had longer we'd have climbed for the views) but kept on going. The last time I was on the island we climbed it and covered pretty much every inch of the island looking at the history of the place when Columba arrived from Ireland in 563, arguably the first to bring Christianity to Scotland. He must have liked it so much he set up base on the island and sent out mission trips as far as Craig Phadrig in Inverness, among other places, but always returning to Iona. And on a day like this who could blame him?

DSC_1590-large.JPG

DSC_1592-large.JPG

We met some folk staying in the hostel who told us a film crew were up ahead making a film - either about Iona or set on Iona - not sure which. When we got there they were packing up.

Film crew
DSC_1593-large.JPG

They evidently felt they needed a wind machine. :eh:

Wind machine off to other location
DSC_1600-large.JPG

We climbed on to a rocky knoll to soak in the views - felt like paradise
DSC_1601-larges.JPG

From our perch we crossed the croftland heading to the left towards a bench and farm gate to reach the shore. As Pete walked ahead with the dogs I thought wistfully of the day before on Ben More in low thick cloud and today it was all but clear. :?

Ben More straight ahead with a little wispy cloud on top
DSC_1602-large.JPG

We followed the path to a gate leading to the first of three beaches
DSC_1605-large.JPG

Island on right is Staffa - not sure about submarine-shaped one
DSC_1608-large.JPG

DSC_1610-large.JPG

DSC_1615-large.JPG

Paddling Tess looking vulnerable with that shark-like rock behind :shock:
DSC_1618-large.JPG

DSC_1619-large.JPG

Pink rock
DSC_1621-large.JPG

DSC_1622-large.JPG

We walked back to the spot the crew had been filming and over the vivid green to the beaches on the east side of the north end.

DSC_1625-large.JPG

DSC_1626-large.JPG

White shell sand
DSC_1628-large.JPG

DSC_1633-large.JPG

We didn't meet a soul which considering how many came over on the ferry with us does seem surprising. Where did they all go? If it had been raining tea and scones at the Columba maybe - but on an afternoon like this? 8)

DSC_1634-large.JPG

Interesting arrangement of stones which probably means something
DSC_1635-large.JPG

Too soon we had to leave to head back to catch the ferry. We bumped into the film crew again and ended up squeezing our way through luvvies milling around with serious camera equipment where the gate opened on to the end of the road. Jack wanted to do his usual thing of greeting every individual with a friendly nudge to the crotch but we managed to restrain him and retraced our steps stopping at the Iona Community shop where the dogs had a drink from the large water bowl they thoughtfully leave outside.

A local farmer complete with tractor and trailer stopped to chat and told us he'd been booked by the film people for his tractoring skills to transport heavy stuff about the island but no he didn't know any more about what kind of film it was - except it should be hitting the screens some time in the spring. He'd been busy with them for the past fortnight and he didn't say who was seeing to the normal farm stuff while he was otherwise engaged. :wtf:

It's a strange feeling to be back at a place last visited 45 years ago and thinking of all that's happened since
DSC_1638-large.JPG

We were a bit early for the ferry so bought ice cream in the shop on the road heading south and walked down there to fill the time meeting a lovely couple who admired our "beautiful dogs" who duly enjoyed the attention. I'd have loved to explore the west side of the island but that will have to wait for next time - if there is one. One thing's for sure, if I do come back I can't leave it 45 years this time! :problem:

Waiting for the ferry to come in
DSC_1640-large.JPG
Last edited by dogplodder on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Azure, cobalt, emerald, turquoise - jewel colours of Ion

Postby dawnfoth » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Mull and Iona are absolutely stunning. The 'submarine' shaped island you refer to is known as the Dutchmans Cap. :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:08 am

dawnfoth wrote:Mull and Iona are absolutely stunning. The 'submarine' shaped island you refer to is known as the Dutchmans Cap. :D

Thanks for that. :wink: I was too lazy to look it up but have done now and find it's one of the Treshnish Isles.

Looks like a volcanic plug in centre?
DSC_1597-large.JPG

Staffa again
DSC_1596-large.JPG

Love these islands! :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby railton22 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Love, love LOVE this part of the world and your fab photos certainly do it justice; the colours are spectacular. The funny looking island is called Bac More, more commonly known as the aptly descriptive :shock: Dutchman's Cap. After seeing your piccies, I think that it's high time we visited again. :D
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Postby John Doh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Nice report! I wonder what film that will be... and a wind machine on a Scottish Island, serious? :roll: :lol:
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 am

What amazing beauty! I love all your photos - it looks so idyllic. Glad the dogs are out and about - I miss seeing them on the hills with you (in your reports, that is).
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:18 am

amazing reports - "paradise " indeed :)

Thanks for posting - must get to Iona one day..

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby dogplodder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:20 pm

railton22 wrote:Love, love LOVE this part of the world and your fab photos certainly do it justice; the colours are spectacular. The funny looking island is called Bac More, more commonly known as the aptly descriptive :shock: Dutchman's Cap. After seeing your piccies, I think that it's high time we visited again. :D

Thanks for the info on Bac More. Yes, you should go back, and don't leave it as long as I did! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Great photos as usual - you make Iona and its neighbours look soooo inviting, thanks :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 am

Your photos have conveyed this place brilliantly, you would think this was a tiny Island in the Pacific!! :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:37 am

John Doh wrote:Nice report! I wonder what film that will be... and a wind machine on a Scottish Island, serious? :roll: :lol:

Like my pal's street being deluged with hoses to shoot a scene for Silent Witness. Trying to have control. 8)
dogplodder

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Aww lovely report and OMG the weather you had!!! Fantastic! Had to laugh so much ...wind machine?
Its one place I haven't been, but decided that it needs to be n my bucket list as well!! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Silverhill » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:38 pm

That was a good decision to still head out, after the murky start of the day! What a fab afternoon you had! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:13 am

AnnieMacD wrote:What amazing beauty! I love all your photos - it looks so idyllic. Glad the dogs are out and about - I miss seeing them on the hills with you (in your reports, that is).

Thanks Annie. I so miss having the dogs on the hills but seeing them suffer afterwards tips the balance to leaving them - even when they want to come. It's a tough one. :?
dogplodder

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 am

Wonderful, just wonderful. One of the jewels of scotland in every way

It's been too long for me too - your report has punted Iona and surrounding area right back to the top of my "to do again" list !

Kind regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland