walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Peterhead Coast

Peterhead Coast

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Date walked: 18/10/2014

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecasts for today were mostly poor with the exception of a small band of good weather to the North-East. Therefore, instead of venturing to the hills to face strong winds, low cloud and heavy rain, I set out instead to undertake a section of 'local' NE coast.

I drove to Peterhead (pron. Peterheed :wink: ) to walk the section of coast around Peterhead visiting all of the numerous harbours along the way. I have been looking forward to walking the Peterhead coast for some time. Several years ago, on researching my family tree, I discovered that a number of my great great grand-parents were from Peterhead. This family link would surely stand me in good stead for understanding the locals without the need for a babelfish.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

The weather forecasts were correct. It was a lovely day in Peterhead.

I initially set off walking East to start my coastal walk from the Peterhead Fishermen's Memorial. I have previously walked the section of coast from Cruden Bay to Peterhead (to this memorial).

Peterhead Fishermen's Memorial:

Looking back towards Marina:

From the memorial, I dropped down to the caravan site and then progressed along the coast towards Peterhead.

This section of path would appear to be eco-friendly in that it has LED streetlights.

Looking towards Peterhead:

Harbour entrance:

I stuck as close to the coast as I could without entering restricted areas and without climbing over barbed wire, razor wire and large spikes!

Large reels:

It was nice to walk past numerous fishing boats of various shapes and sizes during this walk. It was also really interesting to see such a busy harbour in operation.

I did not however bump into any of the stars from the BBC series Trawlermen. Nae sign o' Jimmy Buchan :lol:.

Fishing boats:

I passed numerous Range Rovers during my walk many of which were being driven by young drivers. There is obviously still a lot of money to be had from fishing.

Peterhead Fishmarket:

I walked round the back of the Lifeboat station and took a photo of a small building that I assume was once some kind of lighthouse/lookout.

Old lighthouse?:

Boats:

Fishing boats:

On arriving at Bridge Street, I could see that the drawbridge was up. According to a sign it wasn't due to come down for another hour so I decided to progress round Port Henry harbour and then sort of double-back towards Keith Inch.

Bridge Street drawbridge (leading across to Keith Inch):

Shearwater (A dredger):

Looking back at fishing boats:

It was worth taking the route that I did as this allowed me to see the graving dock and slipway.

North Harbour Graving dock (dry dock):

Port Henry Harbour:

It didn't take long to reach the other side of the drawbridge. From there, I made my way round Keith Inch.

I have visited Peterhead numerous times previously but had never before visited this section of harbour. Keith Inch is apparently the Easternmost point of mainland Scotland. It was formerly an island.

Bridge Street drawbridge (from Keith Inch side):

Looking across South Harbour towards Lifeboat Station:

Visiting Keith Inch was really worthwhile as the highlight of my walk was seeing numerous Grey Seals up close.

I managed to get within about ten feet of the seals which were hanging around outside one of the fish processing factories!

Apologies for all the forthcoming Grey Seal photos :).

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

Grey Seal:

As well as seeing a number of Grey Seals, there were also lots of gulls at Keith Inch.

Gulls at Keith Inch:

From Keith Inch, I made my way back West towards Roanheads and then onto Buchanhaven.

I walked alongside an impressive Sea Wall. It would take a considerable storm to breach this wall.

Sea wall:

It was however good to reach the end of the sea wall as the sea is much nicer to look at than concrete.

Roanheads:

The section of coast from Roanheads to Buchanhaven was interesting in that there were lots and lots of seabirds.

I passed rocks that were covered in some kind of small wader. Not quite sure if they are Dunlin or Sanderling. I am tending towards Sanderling!

Sanderling?:

Looking towards Buchanhaven:

I also passed numerous shags (the feathered kind).

Shags:

Shags:

Looking back towards Roanheads:

Boats at Buchanhaven:

On reaching the George Birnie Memorial bridge, I stopped to photograph several Mute Swans.

Mute Swans:

Mute Swans:

George Birnie Memorial foot bridge:

From the bridge, I returned to the car via numerous Peterhead streets. There is a car park at this bridge which I will use for the next section of coast up to Rattray Head.

This is an excellent walk with lots of interest including great wildlife. Well worth the minimal effort :).
Last edited by foggieclimber on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foggieclimber

Re: Peterhead Coast

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Really enjoyed that report foggieclimber - I don't get to the coast often enough but any time I do, I always enjoy the walking.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Peterhead Coast

Postby alfie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:48 pm

hi bud,
i love peterhead and nearby places ,i have family in peterhead,clola and aberdeen and used to spend mostly all of school holidays in north east cos there is so many great places!! some of the less well known beaches on north east coast are just outstanding!! fit aboot ye loon :D
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland