walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Pennines: Viewing Hill

North Pennines: Viewing Hill

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Viewing Hill

Date walked: 13/10/2014

Time taken: 2

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short walk from Yad Moss (parking at the highest point on the B6277 Alston to Middleton-in-Teeside road) to brake up a long journey and to "bag" a hill in an area where I've done very little walking. Initially, as I got out of the car and put on my boots and gaiters, I thought I'd messed up big-time. An off-roader was deploying a large number of beaters along my intended route and were clearly involved in a shoot taking place in or near the area where I wanted to walk. My heart sank until I realised that if I waited they would either walk past me or beyond my intended route. In the event, it was away from me and well beyond Viewing Hill. Not only that but I probably was delayed for less than 10 minutes. They don't hang about! Far from seeing no grouse as a consequence [I enjoy seeing them, but can respect shooting interests that manage the moors] I shortly had a flock of about 60 Red Grouse come desperately flying past me and dropping down well away from the shoot. Apart from a few stragglers [grouse], I then had the moor to myself. My compass seemed to do some strange things up on the top of Viewing Hill, although it's not the place for walking on a compass bearing anyway. Not impressed with my navigation though as I drifted about 20 degrees off my intended route for several minutes. Although I quickly corrected this, and it's probably as safe as any moor, and much safer than most, it's still not a place I'd recommend in bad weather, but as a short walk it served its purpose, and I noted that Alston looked like an excellent place to base myself for some walking in these hills next year. :)
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland