walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Badandun Hill

Badandun Hill

Postby rob munbett » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill

Date walked: 24/10/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was driving up to Mar Lodge to stay the weekend with friends and fancied this hill as a break on the drive up. it was cold and windy as I parked the car at NO188649 at a gate through which the Cateran Trail passed. I followed this excellent trail until it turned south into the woods beside Auchintaple Loch. I had decided to do a circuit route by going round to the east of the hill and walking up the south-east flank on a path beside some grouse butts. This would take me into an area I'd never been to before.
P1020621.JPG
The track on the east side of the hill
It was a very pleasant stroll round to the start of the steeper ascent on the path up to the summit, where I paused for a look over to Crock.
P1020622.JPG
Looking south east to Crock and Loch Shandra
By now, the cold wind was beginning to bite and I was glad to see the summit come into view.
P1020623.JPG
Approaching the summit
I made the mistake of leaving the path a bit too early to head directly for the top and found myself in a boggy peat hagged area when there was a perfectly dry path just a little further on.
P1020624.JPG
On the summit looking over to Mount Blair
I was interested in seeing Mount Blair and Ducharay Hill - two Grahams I hoped to climb on the Sunday return journey. (little did I know about the storm coming in!) It was too blowy and cold for a stop so I carried on down the track through a gap in what must be one of the best-built drystane dyke I've seen on any hill and then the hillside deteriorated into one of the worst peat-hagged areas I've ever seen.
P1020627.JPG
Looking back to the summit and the drystane dyke
P1020628.JPG
the extensive peat hags
Fortunately, the track somehow or other wound its way through the hags without going into too many boggy areas and I was amazed to come through pretty unscathed. From here it was a lovely gentle descent back to the Cateran trail with a pause for a photo of Duchray Hill.
P1020629.JPG
Looking over to Duchray Hill
I hadn't stopped for a break on my walk so I was glad to get back to the car for a snack and a cuppa just as the rain started to fall.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Badandun Hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:22 am

Nice wee walk, and as you say better to stay on track to near the summit, plenty of peat bogs about up there. Did this one on a cold frosty morning :) Nice photo of Duchary Hill, just shows the extent of the full summit ridge, goes on for a bit doesn't it! Good luck on Crock when you decide to do it, enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol: don't follow my route down.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland