walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gales and Bog on An Ruadh-Mheallan

Gales and Bog on An Ruadh-Mheallan

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: An Ruadh-mheallan

Date walked: 26/10/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 6.8 km

Ascent: 575m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2014-10-25 An Ruadh-Mheallan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Walking time: 3 hours
Stopped time: 1.5 hours

You can see from my track that I walked for a part up a stream. Well, in the conditions it was hard to tell the difference between deer paths and burns so it is perfectly possible. In fact there were small burns all the way up to the summit plateau so no hydration problems today. :lol: Fortunately my boots passed the waterproof test as my feet didn't get wet but that was the least of my worries.

I don't know what's up with the weather this year but almost every weekend since June has been plagued by wind and rain at the weekends and the week-days have, on average, been glorious. I'm one of the unfortunate souls that can only climb hills at the weekend so the frustration level was high this weekend. I decided to go to Diabaig as I promised a climber I would go and search for his lost shoes and jacket under one of the Diabaig cliffs so I thought that at the same time I would pay a wee visit to An Ruadh-Mheallan - the Graham due west of Beinn Alligin. How bad could it be?

I left home early and drove in the dark through the rain, gales and pestilence (in the form of things unknown flying around - mostly leaves). I thought near Shieldaig I might have to turn back as the roads appeared to be flooded and the rain was coming down in sheets. I didn't see a single vehicle going in either direction all the way from Applecross to Diabaig - it was a bit spooky to say the least. :roll:

Of course Diabaig village is very sheltered and even there the wind was making its presence felt. It's a bit of a ghost village and, I thought, a bit sad. I didn't see a living soul, in fact, come to think of it, I didn't see a soul all day long until my return drive home in the afternoon.

Diabaig village from the Coastal Path.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan by anniesmountains, on Flickr

After looking around the rocks for about an hour I didn't turn up any shoes or jackets so returned by the very slippery path to sea level and headed for the start of my walk. I parked at the view-point at the top of Bealach na Gaoithe which has parking for two cars. The altitude at this point is already 280m so it's a bit of an easy day really.

After climbing a few metres, the walk ahead comes into view. Beinn Alligin is to the east and is a looming presence - not its best side. I had considered maybe going up Tom na Gruagain via the east ridge but that was before I had assessed the weather! Never mind the wind, I would not have been able to cross the Abhainn Alligin burn and then I didn't know if the deer fences were negotiable.

An Ruadh-Mheallan from just above the road.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-2 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The Diabaig road and Loch Diabaigas Airde.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-3 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

West side of Beinn Alligin. Liathach is on the right.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-4 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I started off on a path but, as it's not on the map, I abandoned it as I wasn't sure where it was heading. I decided instead just to take a straight line up to the summit and took a bearing so that I could reverse it if the mists came down to envelop me on the way back. There are a few bumps to get over and some peat hags to negotiate but it's mostly a tale of water and bog and more of the same all the way up. The wind strengthened steadily as I gained altitude but it was pretty much behind me and made the walking easier if anything. There were some very heavy showers but the air was clear and the visibility was excellent. I stopped a lot to take photos - often the same one quite a few times!

Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Beinn Damh. The weather looked worse over there! Note the wet rocks which were quite slippery.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-5 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Beinn Damh and Loch Damh to the right.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-6 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Loch Damh and Upper Loch Torridon with another shower coming in.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-7 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

From further up - Beinn Damh and Loch Damh.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-8 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I got to the wee bealach to the east of the summit plateau and that's when the wind really hit me - with a vengeance. I scooted round to the lee side of the hill where calm was restored and tied everything down - hood, gloves, walking poles, camera stuff.... I thought I would just see if I could stand on the top and use my walking poles to give me balance. The wind itself was OK, it was the gusts that worried me as they were so unpredictable and so much stronger. (I remembered reading Mountainlove's report where she crawled to the summit and thought I might have to do that too!) As it turned out I didn't fall over and I didn't have to crawl but there was a rock near the cairn which gave me a bit of shelter so I sat behind it to take a few photos. It was such a shame as it's a great-looking summit on a huge slab (this was fairly slippery so a bit dangerous in the circumstances) and the cairn has a wee shelter attached to it but was no help today! I touched the cairn, took a few photos and got down to the bealach as fast as I could. It didn't seem too bad at all down here after the ferocity up top!

Summit An Ruadh-Mheallan.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-14 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Tom Gruagaich from the summit of An Ruadh-Mheallan. The clouds were moving at an alarming rate!
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-9 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Baosbheinn to the north.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-10 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I headed back down pretty much the way I had ascended but took a detour to see the Loch nan Tri-eileanan.

Rays over Loch Torridon.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-11 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Loch nan Tri-eileanan and An Ruadh-Meallan.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-12 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

West end of Liathach (Sgorr a'Chadail) on the way home.
ImageAn Ruadh-Mheallan-13 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I do believe I found my limit when it comes to wind. Wish I knew the speed of the gusts as I'm really none the wiser!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Gales and Bog on An Ruadh-Mheallan

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:03 pm

A good effort to get out in this weather !

And at least some views :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:12 pm

That comes out well in autumn colours :) . Fortunately we can't feel the wind in the photos. This brings back good memories of working up and down the west coast a few years ago :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby prog99 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Nice pictures. I've climbed at Diabaig, a lovely spot.

Bealach na ba is the closest weather station. Gusting to around 140kmh during the day.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Good report and fab pictures. I love the black and white shot of Beinn Damh, I can imagine that framed on the wall of a cosy wee pub, log fire roaring and a dram in hand after a days walking :D

Shame about the climbers gear, but at least it gave a good excuse to get out and brave the weather and bag what looks a cracking little Graham. :clap:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Silverhill » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Well done for heading out and for discovering your upper wind speed limit! If only you knew what the wind speed was.... Great pictures! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 pm

You got some good pictures in the circumstances. It's a long time since I've been walking without being put off by strong winds so good to have those ancient memories rekindled.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby JimboJim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Some cracking pics there. No.11 quite superb - for me!

Not so jealous of your weather tho! :D

Hope to poke my nose out soon to get my feet wet, if nothing else!

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:13 pm

annie wrote:Wish I knew the speed of the gusts as I'm really none the wiser!

annie, someone was asking about yesterday's weather so they could KNOW what gusts of x mph felt like. You can find out, apparently at the met office site

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/gfj18n007
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Beautiful pictures, your walk reports are a lesson in photography as well as a great read :clap: .

I agree about the unpredictability of gusts - we once had a dog swept off a cliff with a gust that came from the opposite direction from the prevailing wind :( :( It's made me careful about where I take the mutts no in windy conditions.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Lovely autumn colours and superb shots of the shafts of light over the lochs. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Well done heading out in that wind...really like images 6 and 11, very atmospheric..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland