walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blown Over in Glen Clova

Blown Over in Glen Clova

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin, Ben Tirran, Mount Battock

Date walked: 26/10/2014

Time taken: 9.4 hours

Distance: 36.5 km

Ascent: 2157m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Big winds forecast for this weekend. Best of the weather had seemed to be in the East, so we decided to set off for Angus and get the easternmost Corbett, Mount Battock, along with Ben Tirran and maybe another one nearby if we had a chance. Drove up on Friday night to a very nice campsite at Drumshademuir, outside Kirriemuir and bedded down amidst increasing winds, which soughed through the trees above us in waves and gusts through the night. Morning was heralded by a communion of jackdaws and crows babbling away to each other - almost like being in a jungle. Set off for the drive up Glen Esk and arrived at the parking area outside Milldown Lodge to find 5 other cars crammed into the space and a group of older walkers all about to set off. We were able to squeeze in at the side, had a brief chat as they set off and we got ready. Up to the Mill of Aucheen and on a good track following the river, where we met up with the party of walkers. Then up an industrial type track into the hillside, the tops covered in mist. We took a L turn at the spilt by the ford and wandered up by the stone grouse butts, still keeping to a good track. At the top of Wester Cairn we left the track and headed into the mists on a grassy ATV track which I assumed let to the top of Mount Battock. The trig point and stone shelter came into view, providing some welcome shelter from the brisk winds. Snatched at some lunch then headed down over Hill of Saughs, the weather clearing to reveal a windfarm to the south and the rocky tor of Clachnaben over to the east. Met a couple of walkers with their dogs who'd come over from that direction. Got back onto track after some boggy paths on the hill and jogged for a bit, rejoicing in the improvement in the weather as the sun poked out. Took the path that leads by Whups Crag and back down to the car parking area in quite good time.

Near the start
ImageP1040293 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View back
ImageP1040295 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Up the track
ImageP1040297 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040298 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stone grouse butts
ImageP1040299 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Mount Battock summit
ImageP1040301 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit
ImageP1040303 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Elmer Fudd returns
ImageP1040304 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040306 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Clachnaben & Wind Farm
ImageP1040310 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Big sky
ImageP1040312 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040315 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040316 by 23weasels, on Flickr

As it was only about 1.30 and the sun was out I decided we'd go and do something else. I reckoned it was too late in the day to attempt Ben Tirran, by the time we drove to Glen Clova, but the Spittal of Glenshee wasn't too far away from our campsite and we could manage Ben Gulaben. Monamenach was also somewhere on my radar if the conditions stayed suitable, although I wasn't letting on about that to Sick Kid. Took longer than intended to get to the Spittal as I missed the right road out of Kirriemuir and ended up going most of the way to Alyth before cutting up into Glen Isla. Parked at the layby and walked along the road for a little til we got to the gate - could easily have parked at the gate without causing an obstruction. It's a steady walk up from around 350m starting altitude then heading off to the L up a slightly steeper section to the top. I was somewhat ahead of Allison, who was hechin' and pechin' a bit and had to remove a foreign object (my money was on a ked) from her eye, so I nipped over to the eastern summit which offered good views over the Cairnwell and the Creag Leacach group of hills which looked rather pretty. Allison had not noticed my deviation and was panicking slightly when she got to the proper summit and found no sign of me. It would have been a bit difficult to get lost in reasonably good visibility on this wee hill, but I suppose I could have been carried off by an angry crow. I nipped up to the proper summit and caught up with her, managing to defuse her anxiety. Headed down by our ascent route with the rain coming on and clag descending as we returned to the car, obliterating any idea of Monamenach for today. I'd not bothered to put my waterproof jacket on, hoping we'd get back to the car before I got too wet in my softshell, but I was a bit drookit on top by the time sanctuary was found. Quicker back to Kirriemuir by the right road and another windy night in the tent.

View up Glenshee
ImageP1040318 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Split in track
ImageP1040319 by 23weasels, on Flickr

East Glenshee hills
ImageP1040320 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View South
ImageP1040321 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit Gulabin
ImageP1040324 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040327 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040328 by 23weasels, on Flickr

I was resigned to Sunday being a grim day and was surprised to wake and find that it was a dry- almost sunny - morning. Clocks had gone back, we took a lazy start to the day, getting the tent packed without it being wet or invaded by slugs (unlike in recent weeks) although I did have to remove a colony of small spiders. As we drove towards Glen Clova the rain started and the mist came down - more the expected conditions. We got to the hotel, dodging suicidal pheasants and parked up in the visitor parking area then set off through the grounds of the hotel, past the lodges and onto the footpath to Loch Brandy. Wind was modest until we neared the top of the path when it became buffetty. I liked the look of the Snub and we saw 3 guys heading up it - will we go for it or not? I decided the wind was too much to take on unnecessary ascents and we set off along the south shore of Loch Brandy. Hang on - let's just go for it...we turned around and set off up the clear path. Had to stop several times as the wind was immense and had us pinned down to the point of having to crawl a few short sections. All this for a blooming Corbett Top? Ah yes, excitement :roll: :lol: We passed the 3 guys who were looking a bit battered nd looked askance when Allison commented that yes, it was a wee bit breezy. Up on top of the hill the wind was diminished and it was mostly an easy walk along the broad ridge towards Green Hill. Clag was down making finding the cairn problematic, but we got there in the end. It was pretty blowy :wink:

View up from the car park
ImageP1040330 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Up to Loch Brandy
ImageP1040335 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The Snub
ImageP1040336 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Loch Brandy
ImageP1040338 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Top of the Snub
ImageP1040339 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Top of Green Hill
ImageP1040340 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The next section was a flattish path over the plateau, marked by a succession of stone cairns until a new fence is reached - an electric one. I saw that the route to the summit of the Goet was over to our right and was just wondering how to get across the fence when we spotted a stile - whew... On we went into the mist and blustery wind, eyes streaming with the force of air we were now walking into. Up ahead I spied the cairn and fatter than usual trig point marker and flopped down behind the small shelter of the rocks to celebrate getting halfway on the Corbetts. As we were sitting having lunch a trio of walkers came up, one with a very recent skin graft on his nose and a headband holding on the gauze swab from the site behind his ear the graft had been taken from. I thought I was a bit mad going out days after my hand surgery - this guy took the biscuit :clap: We struggled to make conversation against the wind, but used lots of gesticulation to hopefully get our message across. Whatever it was...

ImageP1040341 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040342 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Corbett Number 111 - past the halfway mark :roll:
ImageP1040344 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Allison looking suitably impressed
ImageP1040345 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We packed up again and set off over the cairn marking Ben Tirran, struggling to see where we were going in mist and blasting wind - i ended up putting my ski goggles on to assist. The presence of numerous tracks that criss-crossed the hillside didn't help direction finding, and the GPS was going a little crazy with the high winds too. Dropping down a little we came out of the clag and spotted Loch Wharral over to our right. We made for the track we could see ahead of us and kept on this down to the forestry plantation which had very recently been cut- the smell of pine resin still hung in the air. I kept us on the track a little too long and saw that it was heading way off east in the opposite direction to our intended one. Cutting over the newly felled forest was a bit of an ordeal - triping up twice on sneaky branches, then having a wee river crossing to undertake, just to keep SK happy - you know how she loves such things and insists on their inclusion each week - the deeper/faster flowing the better :lol:
Anyway, we made it to the proper track just in time to meet up with the folk we'd seen at the summit and were able to hear each other speak now - they kindly offered a lift back to the hotel, but as it was a nice enough day for the short walk we declined. Heading back along the south side of the road was dominated by Driesh and Mayar, rising above the autumn colours of Glen Clova.

Loch Wharral
ImageP1040346 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040350 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040351 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040353 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Driesh
ImageP1040354 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1040358 by 23weasels, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Blown Over in Glen Clova

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Great! You two were out in it too then :lol: Congratulations on the half way mark. You are going to run out of hill soon....
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:50 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Great! You two were out in it too then :lol: Congratulations on the half way mark. You are going to run out of hill soon....

Out in it - Us?? :lol: :lol:

Actually, Annie, I have to confess that I had a look at a site this week which some others on here use

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/index.php

Regrettably or otherwise, I learned that there are thousands of hills - even just staying put in Scotland - to be contemplated, so I think I will have my work cut out for me for a wee while yet :roll:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:54 am

I passed you guys when you were walking down the road towards the Clova hotel on the Sunday afternoon. I recognised Alison's purple top. It was a stormy night Saturday I was camped up Glen Doll where I was path building at the Carn Dearg Mountaineering Club hut. I was behind a wee blue car in the Golf estate its a right bendy road with lots of dips where I passed you both. Would not have fancied being on the hills the wind just got stronger and stronger, when I got home I could not dry my tent on the line as it would have blown away. Good effort you guys :clap: :clap: pity about the load of new scars on each side of the Glen :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby robertphillips » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am

well done guys, ure fairly rattling through the corbetts.the wind was strong even on lower hills on saturday. the joys of hill baggers.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 am

The Rodmiester wrote:pity about the load of new scars on each side of the Glen :(

Cheers Rod - might have guessed you'd be out somewhere in the winds :D

I agree that the number of new scars up these hills is unsightly. Have tended to disregard the hills around Braemar/Angus as places of beauty and not minded their disfigurement as much as I would certain other places, but the last couple of times I;ve been over (this weekend, plus my tops bagging days in september) I have come to appreciate them more. Whilst the tracks can be convenient for quick and bog free bagging they certainly change the landscape in a way that's far from good.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:59 am

robertphillips wrote:well done guys, ure fairly rattling through the corbetts.the wind was strong even on lower hills on saturday. the joys of hill baggers.

Cheers - have had to revise my target for the year - was to get to 100 Corbetts, then to the halfway mark, now aiming for 121 by the end of 2014. Going to be a bit of a tight one unless the weather starts being kinder :roll:
Wondering about the feasability of getting the remainder done next year, but am aware that I've done a lot of the closer to me and multiples in a day hills already.
I absolutely deny being obsessed in any way by this, you realise :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby PeteR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Somehow I suspected you would both be out at the weekend :lol: Good to see you got some views. Sunday was particularly pish on the weather front.

Congratulations on reaching your Corbett half way point too :clap: You're fair picking them off, as others have already observed.

I was looking at some of the Eastern Corbetts myself for Sunday, but decided I didn't fancy the drive given the forecast. Opted for some Donalds closer to home instead.

You report title though has given me an idea should I do a report on my walk. If you were "Blown over in Glen Clova" then I was definitely "Getting very wet from Wanlockhead (to toe)"
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:07 pm

PeteR wrote:You report title though has given me an idea should I do a report on my walk. If you were "Blown over in Glen Clova" then I was definitely "Getting very wet from Wanlockhead (to toe)"

Cheers, Pete.
I had to up my game as far as report titles go after getting chastised for being too uninspiring and dreary with last weeks one :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Well done Al and SK on reaching the halfway land mark..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:00 pm

weaselmaster wrote:I had to up my game as far as report titles go after getting chastised for being too uninspiring and dreary with last weeks one :lol:
ach, nothing wrong with understated titles :wink: can understand why you took it easy this weekend due to the weather - was even drier doing DIY indoors :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland