walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Camping beside Loch Quoich

Camping beside Loch Quoich

Postby IamAJMiller » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:15 pm

As usual I'm coming cap in hand for last minute advice!! Hoping to go up to Loch Quoich in the next few days to to do Sgurr Mhaoraich and Gairich. Can anyone recommend an area for a semi-roadside camp? Normally I'd search about for a spot when I get there but time might be an issue and I don't want to be driving along looking for a pitch in the dark without a rough idea of a good spot. From the map it looks like there's some good spots on the south slopes of Sgurr Mhaoraich which would be great but it could be rocky as hell! Maybe the ground close to the bridge decent?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Andy.
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Re: Camping beside Loch Quoich

Postby Guinessman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 pm

camping spot just past the east dam where the cars park, alternatively further spot on the next spur along the loch again where it is a parking area. sorry no map available or I would supply map refs.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby orion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:55 pm

If it is just an arrive late leave early site you need you can camp right next to the car at the small parking bay at
NH 004 033.Room on the flat grass beside it for a couple of tents.
It tends to be hogged by camper vans in summer though you should be ok at this time of year.
I used it in June to go into Ben Aden.There were two camper vans and still room for my car and two tents beside them.
Alex.
Attachments
quoich.jpg
orion

Postby electricfly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:22 pm

There's quite a bit of good ground on the Loch Quoich shore near to where the Allt Choire nan Eiricheallach flows into the loch from Sgurr a' Mhaoraich. This area is also ideal if you are choosing to take the southern descent rather than the loooong Am Bathaich detour descent. :)
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:29 pm

We've used a small area just west of the bridge about 50m from where you park, same side of the road.
It's OK.
There's another better looking area about a mile further on on the north side of the road, but it's always been occupied when I've driven past
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby cmarcol » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:43 pm

We camped right at the big dam in May. The ground further up was far too wet to pitch up. The ground is perfectly flat but it's also really rocky there so if you are going to camp there take a mallet!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion