walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rogan's Seat and Kisdon

Rogan's Seat and Kisdon

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Rogan's Seat

Date walked: 25/10/2014

Time taken: 2.55

Distance: 15.7 km

Ascent: 778m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A wet and windy day for my final Dales Hewitt. Although more popularly done from Gunnerside, I opted to do this walk from Keld having walked in Gunnerside Gill before and because I wanted to add the Marilyn top of Kisdon to the days agenda.

I parked in the very reasonable car park at Keld and initially followed the Pennine Way over the Swale and past the waterfalls before turning left up to Crackpot Hall where I lost the path and started heading down hill before meeting up with the lower path heading up Swinner Gill.

Crossing the Swale.JPG
Crossing the Swale near Keld

Waterfall.JPG
Keld Waterfalls

This was narrow and exposed in places but a very interesting route past another waterfall to the point where you branch off into East Grain. I didn't see the turning originally and continued up Swinner Gill by mistake but quickly rectified it and was soon making good progress up towards the open moor.

Lower Path Swinner Gill.JPG
On the lower path in Swinner Gill

Waterfall near East Grain.JPG
Another Waterfall near East Grain

The wind really picked up here as I joined a vehicle track and then took another vehicle track branching off left which I knew would take me near to the summit of Rogan's Seat.

Vehicle Track.JPG
Vehicle Track on Rogan's Seat

This was boring but straightforward walking and with plenty of mist about I was glad of the security offered by the track on the vast moor.

Eventually I saw the summit cairn located on a large peat hag with the nearby Trig Point on Water Crag visible in the distance - a Nuttall summit I was not going to bother with today due to the weather.

Rogans Seat Summit.JPG
This cairn marked the top of Rogan's Seat (it obviously was but the angle of the picture makes it look like there is higher ground all around).

From here it was a case of just retracing my footsteps back along along the Yellow Brick Road and into East Grain before opting for the higher (and proper) path in Swinner Gill back to Crackpot Hall.

Looking back down East Grain.JPG
Back down in to East Grain

Lower and Higher Paths in swinner Gill.JPG
You can see the lower and higher paths in Swinner Gill here

Kisdon ahead.JPG
Kisdon now ahead

Once back over the Swale I followed the Pennine way before taking the bridleway to the right (marked by yellow bands) to the foot of Kisdon where I followed a wall steeply and pathlessly to the top.

Swale.JPG
River Swale

Pennine way.JPG
Pennine Way

This involved leaping over a dry stone wall near the top but was otherwise a decent way up. The summit area had a large well-built cairn marking it but was obviously not the highest point.

Cairn on Kisdon.JPG
Large Cairn on Kisdon

highest point Kisdon.JPG
Highest point of Kisdon looking down at the Cairn

The views from here were excellent and well worth the detour. The improving weather helped to dry my wet clothes and give me a better sense of satisfaction as I retraced my steps back into Keld and the car.

Rogans seat from Kisdon.JPG
Rogan's Seat from the slopes of Kisdon

Keld from Kisdon.JPG
Keld from Kisdon
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Rogan's Seat and Kisdon

Postby mrssanta » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:21 pm

Oh that was nice and always good to see a Dales walk.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Rogan's Seat and Kisdon

Postby colgregg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:43 pm

I too couldn't find a way to Kisden's summit other than the Wall hop. It's a pity the weather wasn't too good for you as the summit of Water Crag, North of Rogans seat is far superior. Pity it's not quite as high as this is more worthy of Hewitt status.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland