walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Subsidiary Tops guide

Subsidiary Tops guide

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:12 am

I have been noticing quite a number of instances where there are Munros with subsidiary tops that are just as - if not more - interesting than the summits themselves.

Meall Mor on Lurg Mhor
Sgurr Dubh on Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair
Sgurr Creag an Eich on Sgurr Fiona

There are many more I could add but the point is, is there a guide book out there that deals with subsidiary tops in detail?

Another question I have - that someone might be able to answer just now - is which Munro has the most tops (Munro, Corbett and Graham inclusive)?

In fact, which Munro, Corbett or Graham has the most tops (Regardless of height)? I know that the Corbett Ben Tirran has a hell of a lot of tops on it, for example.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Re: Subsidiary Tops guide

Postby Kevin29035 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Irvine Butterfield's might be the most comprehensive I can think of? He tends to do routes taking in the tops, but I'm not sure if he goes out his way to include them all.

For number of subsidiary tops, Glas Tulaichean must be pretty high up there!
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby malky_c » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Butterfield's book is the only one I can think of that includes tops. Unless it has been re-issued, it is probably a little out of date. The SMC have rationalised the list a bit and removed some:
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/waypoints/download/?list=munro-tops
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby OpenC » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Ralph Storer tends to cover the tops as well, from memory; I'll have a look when I get home to see if I'm just making it up but he certainly names them and I'm sure a lot of his routes either go by them or have extensions to reach them.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Gives me somewhere to start :)
By the way, you're right Kev. There are a good many tops on Glas Tulaichen.
Thanks again :thumbup:
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:31 pm

The SMC used to publish Munro's Tables which lists all the Munro Tops by name it also listed The Corbetts per section and 2000feet tops. Included also is a Gaelic Guide. My edition is the the one revised in1990 by D.A. Bearnop, a bit out of date by now :lol: :lol: but no doubt has been revised again. Found this very useful in the past.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:13 pm

I have mapped the Munro Tops on my site but am not sure if I'll ever get round to finishing them. I'm trying to do the Munro Tops along with the Munros as I go through my second round. I also have the original 1891 list of Munros mapped and the 1891 list of Munro Tops.

With regard to your questions, there are three Munros that have five Munro Tops:
Sgurr Fiona of An Teallach has five Munro tops
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan has five Munro tops
Sgor Gaoith has five Munro tops

The Munro with the most tops (Munro Tops, Corbett Tops and Graham Tops) is Carn Sgulain with a massive 23 tops in total.

I am not aware of a guidebook that focuses on the Tops.

If you download the Database of British Hills in CSv format, you can open it in Excel and work out all the stats you desire.
foggieclimber

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Irvine Butterfield's might be the most comprehensive I can think of? He tends to do routes taking in the tops, but I'm not sure if he goes out his way to include them all.

The routes in Irvine Butterfield's (most-excellent) book includes all the Munro Tops and often suggests ways of splitting the longer routes into two or more trips, which highlights the main point of Tops, which is that they give us sad old 'baggers' an excuse to go back to some great hills, to pick up the Tops we missed when we thought we just 'needed' the Munros.

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Be nice if this site included tops as a list :wink:
I haven't found a guide to them. Chris Townsend's book where he does all the Munros and Tops in a single outing is quite a good read, but isn't a guide as such. I tend to use hill-bagging.co.uk to get the list up and plot them out. The Harvey's wall map has them marked on too, so you can go crazy with map pins :lol:
I've enjoyed going back and doing tops - although there are some that are so close the the main summit that I just kick myself for not doing more the first time round
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby hailiamdigby » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for the additional replies.
Some great advice :)

I know what you mean about some tops being so close to the summit.
I did Lochnagar again - this Saturday - and I was surprised how close Cuidhe Crom is, to the main path. Good day out though :)
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion