walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winnie and papke's day oot

Winnie and papke's day oot

Postby kevsbald » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall nam Maigheach

Date walked: 05/11/2014

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hardly the most energetic day out but when you're 18 inches tall, 2 stone of muscle and a face as flat as a duck's quack, such a hill could seem like a behemoth. Winnie, our French Bulldog, is not well suited to the hills but she is game and loves getting out and about. Winnie has become a much loved member of our small but soon to be expanding family hence my new moniker of 'papke'. Winnie is aka Winkle, Wee-chops, Mutt-face, Piggy, Fatty, Windbag and Gruntle. I love that wee bugger. However, at this time of year, dogs become fearful of the firework set-up and in order to exhaust the dog, I had suggested I take Winnie with me on the hill to my wife. She realised that this wasn't an entirely altruistic suggestion but said 'go for it'.

To head to the hills with a high pressure, snow-clad tops in view and with my hairy companion, I was very much looking forward to this wee day out. Yes, it isn't the most scenic of hills but what it does offer are some great views over to the Lawers range and to Glen Lyon. It is also short which suits a bulldog. Within an hour, we were at the summit after having left the car beside the hut. We had a bite to eat before the biting chill forced us to retreat and head back with the wall a perfect companion back to the road. Winnie couldn't work out where the stream was. The intermittent grunts of approval from Winnie meant that she was a happy dogface and when I took lunch at Mhor 84 on the way home, she curled up in front of the wood burning stove and slept. Bliss.

IMG_0009.JPG
Excited!
IMG_0014.JPG
Snow-clad An Stuc, Ben Lawers and beyond
IMG_0015.JPG
Winnie's first Corbett
IMG_0017.JPG
Sunbeams over Meall nan Tarmaichean
IMG_0018.JPG
Odd stone structure
IMG_0019.JPG
Gruntle descends
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Winnie and papke's day oot

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Hope Gruntle sleeps well tonight and everything passes off quietly (not a good night for pets).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby kev_russ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Very nice kev. Well done wee Winnie :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Looks like you made a decent outing of an otherwise fairly mundane plod of a hill (views notwithstanding). Hope she's out for the count now that the fireworks are whizzing! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby litljortindan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Looks like she was enjoying it though that face is a little inscrutable. She looks a fairly portable dog too!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Well done Winnie, hope she slept through the fireworks, my two spent the night at the back door watching them intently. The just would not settle though, a decent off lead walk would have helped them. Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland