walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Question: Is this the way to Descend?

Question: Is this the way to Descend?

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Odhar

Date walked: 09/11/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 689m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the final day of the Autumn WH gathering, this time the location for the fun & occasional beverage was Tyndrum, superbly organised by Tina Bonar, aka Barrie & Colleen :clap: :clap:
Now the forecast during the week leading up to the gathering was pretty awful, in fact it was so bad that an "Amber" for rain was issued by the Met Office on the Thursday :( You would think the worst and that we were all going to sitting indoors watching the rain fall, the actual weather couldn't have been more different :roll:
I was actually quite annoyed because I decided against walking on Friday & opted for a leisurely drive west, only to find that there was not a drop of rain until the back of 6 o'clock !!
Saturdays little outing will be compiled by the one & only MG1976, I am sure it will be worth waiting for :lol: :lol:

For those of you who have never attended a WH gathering, the latter evenings can/do get a tad on the noisy side, the volume button seems to be turned up as each hour passes, not at all alcohol related :lol: So anyone who retires before midnight ear plugs are a necessity :lol:
After a superb day out in Glencoe on Saturday, which finished just as darkness was falling, no plan had been made for Sunday :roll: So over an excellent breakfast of instant syrupy porridge and a couple of slices of toast, I suggested tackling a nice easy nearby Corbett - Beinn Odhar, we could even see it out of the hostel window and anyone who has driven along the A82 out of Tyndrum heading towards Glencoe couldn't fail to notice it :roll:
I managed to persuade Martin & Shane (who couldn't really say no, as I was their chauffeur) :lol: Evie was struggling to make a decision so she decided to accompany us, unfortunately Sean who was with us on Saturday, had to head back to the 'big smoke' and hand back his hire car before midday & then fly back down to London :(

We decided to save what little energy we had, by driving down to the Green Welly and setting off from there :lol:
There was a bit of a nip in the air, so we set off with umpteen layers on as well as gloves, there wasn't a breath of wind and the sky was littered with little bits of wispy cloud.

The attachment our_route.gpx is no longer available

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a short spell on the West Highland Way we crossed the railway line and set foot onto the soggy grass, by this time we had warmed up, gloves were bagged and stayed in the rucksacks until we reached the summit.
Path's to follow are in short supply, having said that there aren't many hills that you can see the summit almost all the way up, so unless you are in clag all you have to do is keep going up :lol:
As we were trudging uphill, and it was an almost never ending trudge (Graeme your were spot on :lol: ) we discussed the report. Evie even said it was going to be a nice easy report to compile because there was much to say about the hill :lol: At one of the many stops, purely for photographic purposes we noticed 4 figures behind us in the distance, little did we know that they were to provide us with a unique experience :wink:

DSCF7210.JPG
The eager crew raring to romp up the large lump behind them

I did take quite a few photo's on the lower slopes, but due to my excess body heat, the photo's are not the best quality so you aren't going to see any of them :lol: :lol:

DSCF7225.JPG
The crew romping up the never ending damp grassy incline

DSCF7230.JPG
Tyndrum from on high

DSCF7234.JPG
It's not often one is pleased to see stones to walk on

DSCF7240.JPG
Another breather, note the rapidly approaching figures in the background

I could see we were rapidly being caught by figures who seemed to be really romping up the hillside, I was determined not to be caught so I turned on my turbo and headed off to reach the summit first :lol:

After taking a few photo's on the summit a couple of the distant figures arrived and the packs they had on their backs were the size of my fridge :lol: So we started chatting away, I was still cooling down and only had a thin baselayer on and if you think that is on a summit of 901m on the 9th of November - amazing :clap: :clap:
The 2 guys had travelled over from Ayrshire soon to accompanied by another couple of chaps, their huge packs contained gear that would enable them to jump off the hill and fly - without an engine :lol: :lol:
My 3 colleagues arrived at the summit and we would then spend ages chatting, watching and cooling down rather quickly.

DSCF7246.JPG
Summit photo with Beinn Dorain in the background

DSCF7250.JPG
Looking down on the A82 heading towards Bridge of Orchy

DSCF7253.JPG
Beinn Dorain - zoomed

DSCF7266.JPG
Railway viaduct

The next photo's are all related to flying and jumping off a hill, it was fascinating watching all the preperation, the wings which were ultra light were laid out and all the strings were untangled, this after changing into flying attire.
One thing that did surprise us all was how light the huge rucksacks were, am sure mine was heavier :lol: :lol:
The problem with this flying way to descend is you need a small take off area (for running along), preferably not with rocks in the near vicinity :wink:
During the preperation process the cloud drifted over the summit, however one of the fliers decided to jump for it/take off, I managed to get a few action shots :wink:

DSCF7268.JPG
Preparing to jump

DSCF7269.JPG
Checking the breeze direction, note the poser on the summit!!!

DSCF7272.JPG
First take off, note the colour of the flying suit, it was mentioned

DSCF7274.JPG
Airborne, looks easy?

DSCF7275.JPG
Airborne shot

DSCF7278.JPG
Preperation took too long and the cloud arrived

As there was no prospect of any more departures, we decided to start our soggy and cloudy descent. In our eagerness to get moving we headed in slightly the wrong direction, however as were going down we weren't too concerned :lol: After consulting our phones/GPS we had to alter our course and soon got back on the unbeaten track. This outing was to be Shane's first Corbett and his first experience of navigating in 'Scottish' clag :lol:
We knew that while the cloud was lingering on the summit the fliers wouldn't be taking off. I kept looking to the west as that would be where we would see the gliders and sure enough when we were about a hundred metres from the foot of the hill the airborne descenders appeared 8) 8)

DSCF7281.JPG
Action shot of us descending note the gradient and the cloud base

DSCF7291.JPG
Looking for a landing spot

DSCF7296.JPG

DSCF7300.JPG
Safely down

DSCF7303.JPG
Clear to land

DSCF7305.JPG
Nearly down

DSCF7308.JPG
All down safely

The welcome entertainment was over, it turned out to be quite an education.
However the big question remains:
Is it quicker, safer & easier to carry a large light rucksack to the summit and then leap into the air or climb hills the conventional way :wink:
I really enjoyed the day, but I am not convinced my walking colleagues shared my enthusiasm :lol: :lol:
Just need to wait for part one to be compiled & posted - hint. hint :lol:

Next? Who knows, always open to offers.
Attachments
DSCF7224.JPG
Evie packing away umpteen layers
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Question: Is this the way to Descend?

Postby malky_c » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Looks great - we had similar on Meall Odhar across the road.

I came down this way yesterday just as it was getting dark. It was quite fast but I would happily have gone for the jumping off version if it had been available :lol:

Good to meet you :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Riverman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 pm

Great report! Wish I could have joined you guys today. Super photos. That really is the way to descend in style!
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Excellent report and photographs there Martin :) , I'd rather keep my feet on the ground thanks! :crazy: It's HARD going climbing up through water saturated ground, experienced the same doing a couple of Grahams in Sutherland on the same day!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby tina bonar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Not something you see on the hill every day :o
Great to catch up with you again, looking forward to the next Meet already
Barrie
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:05 pm

haha paraglider things are grand ,would be great to get a shot of one eh ? :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Joey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:04 pm

I think I can just make out Elaine and I at the top of the zoomed in photo of Beinn Dorain! Great photo's of the guys paragliding! That's the way to get down a hill.
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Joey wrote:I think I can just make out Elaine and I at the top of the zoomed in photo of Beinn Dorain! Great photo's of the guys paragliding! That's the way to get down a hill.

Here's an even more zoomed one Joey :wink:

DSCF7264.JPG
Beinn Dorain
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby Joey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:
Joey wrote:I think I can just make out Elaine and I at the top of the zoomed in photo of Beinn Dorain! Great photo's of the guys paragliding! That's the way to get down a hill.

Here's an even more zoomed one Joey :wink:

DSCF7264.JPG

We were sunbathing!!! :lol:
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Nice one FF though not sure about descending with feet off the ground - can remember giving a lift to a hitchhiker with a very large bag on my way home from a trip up north last year. Interesting conversation as he was a paraglider from Preston and when he and his friends went paragliding they often had to hitch as they didn't know exactly where they'd land and his friends were some way away - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Brilliant pics - perhaps its time to take up a new skill :wink: :wink:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:38 pm

malky_c wrote:Good to meet you :)

Likewise Malky, always good to put faces to user names :wink:

Riverman wrote:Great report! Wish I could have joined you guys today. Super photos. That really is the way to descend in style!

Thanks Sean, was a shame you had to head south early :(

The Rodmiester wrote:Excellent report and photographs there Martin :) , I'd rather keep my feet on the ground thanks! :crazy: It's HARD going climbing up through water saturated ground, experienced the same doing a couple of Grahams in Sutherland on the same day!

Thanks Rod, hopefully you will make the next meet :wink:

tina bonar wrote:Not something you see on the hill every day :o Great to catch up with you again, looking forward to the next Meet already. Barrie

That meet will be a hard act to follow 8) PS: You haven't got your name down yet :lol:

Collaciotach"]haha paraglider things are grand ,would be great to get a shot of one eh ? :D[/quote]

Not for me, they don't have engines :lol:

rockhopper wrote:Nice one FF though not sure about descending with feet off the ground - can remember giving a lift to a hitchhiker with a very large bag on my way home from a trip up north last year - cheers :)

The rucksacks were rather large but were super light, which explains why they romped up the hill & almost caught me up :lol:

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Brilliant pics - perhaps its time to take up a new skill :wink: :wink:

Thanks, a decent camera does help, even though it isn't light :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:48 am

With dodgy knees definitely the way to descend. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland