walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coastal Cliffs - Elie Chain Walk!!

Coastal Cliffs - Elie Chain Walk!!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Date walked: 09/11/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 150m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Once again the East Coast looked the best bet for some walking, the forecast was dry with sunshine promised in the afternoon. Decided to do a walk I've heard of many times but never got round to doing - The Elie Chain Walk!

This walk should be done at low tide so best to check it online, which I did. Between 10am & 2pm was recommended so left Glasgow at 8.30am and headed East, again!

Easy enough finding Elie but took a few wrong turns when trying to find the best place to start the walk. Eventually parked near Earlsferry Golf Course and started the walk from there.

Nice stroll across part of the course which leads into Shell Bay.

Just round this corner is the start of the walk - a sign warns you of imminent danger!! Julie felt slightly terrified as she didn't know what to expect, an 8 year old boy swinging like tarzan behind us probably didn't help with her fear!!

Easy does it...

Feeling better now...

Birdies

With the tide out some rock formations were on view, looking like some lunar landscape!

A number of chains are navigated which leads to little coves. Julie now striding purposefully to the next chain, even managing a few smiles :)

Looking back at one of the two caves which form part of the route...young Tarzan leading his family!

Next came a vertical drop into an inlet of crashing waves. This was probably the scariest part of the walk due to the wet slippy rocks...but it was really good fun :wink:

Reflection

Just over an hour and the chain walking was done. It was now time to head up to the top of the cliffs and head back to Shell Bay. There's some bunkers on route which are worth a peak. All the time views across the water to Law Hill and Bass Rock caught the eye.

Being back at the car around 1.30pm we decided to head along the coast to Aberdour. We enjoyed lunch here with the promised sunshine belting off our faces. With our bellies full we took a wee wander...

Pier

Looking to the Forth Road Bridge. You can just spot the guy in a Kayak bottom right.

Kayak guy and some climbers having a chat!

Climbers...

And Julie...

This little fella was hanging around so nabbed a close up!

Elie Chain Walk is fantastic fun but care should be taken when attempting it. The sea, cliffs and surroundings make for some stunning scenery.

Well done Julie for conquering her initial fears and completing the walk :clap:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Coastal Cliffs - Elie Chain Walk!!

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Great stuff, enjoyed that & the photo's :clap: :clap:

Took a group of my work colleagues a few years ago and after the initial fear, everyone had a great time :wink:

I decided a fish supper at Anster Fish Bar was well earned :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby headless spectre » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:51 pm

wow
very impressed, had me searching the map to find where it was.
I didn't think that there were any walks which involved hanging onto chains ( or artificial aids).
They are everywhere in the Alps and remind me of climbing Mayan temples.
Wish there had been a chain up the last part of Sgurr nan Gillean then I might have made it to the top.

I am sure its been discussed here on WH but wouldn't artificial aids cut down the number of accidents in the hills?

Great report, thanks for posting.
headless spectre
Hill Bagger

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:35 pm

Ive been to Elie but never done that. Is that matching jackets or have you got on Julies in your picture :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Looks interesting dooters - would like to try this sometime. Well done Julie - getting serious ? :wink:
Great weather that day but no hills for me again due to commitments that Sunday morning - good to see you're getting out and about - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:05 pm

Looks like good fun! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:13 pm

That looks great - thanks for the brilliant photos. In all the years I lived not far from Elie I never got round to doing this walk. Good to know what I missed :wink:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland