walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great to be back, up An Teallach (pics and video)

Great to be back, up An Teallach (pics and video)

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 09/11/2014

Time taken: 8.5 hours

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Driving along the A832 I got a glimpse of An Teallach and the morning sky promised good weather.
ImageAn Teallach by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I arrived at the mountain rescue hut and squeezed in behind the three white transits. Suited and booted and off at 0830. I headed along the road toward the two cottages then a car with some Australians stopped to seek confirmation on the best route to tackle AnTeallach. Clockwise or anti clockwise, heads or tails I said..although with hindsight traversing clockwise is definitely easier if you do not like down climbing. Shame I did not remember that from my previous visit here in 2011. :crazy:
I went up the trail behind the cottages and the mountain hut and up Meall Garbh and into the glen. A view of the flank of Glas Mheal Mor.
ImageGlass Meall Mor by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
The sun was rising and highlighted the frost in valley down below. The sunrays were not able to penetrate the glen as I followed the sound path up to the cairn at Coire a Mhuilinn. Then I headed over to Glas Mheal Mor 979m to gain a different perspective of the An Teallach. The ground was icy making it tricky to get a good stride. After a wee scramble I reached the summit cairn at 1020.
ImageGlas Mheal Mor by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I was rewarded with cracking views extending right along a series of ridges leading into Fisherfield and beyond.
The ridge
ImagePinnacles by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
A view out to Sail Mor and Lochbroom
ImageSail Mor by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I moved on SW along the ridge
View back to summit
ImageGlas Mheall Mor by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
View across to main ridge
to reach the main path up to Bidean a Ghlas Thuill and the trig point at 1120. Some more amazing panoramic views and the presence of the circling clouds enhanced the atmosphere.

Group in the clouds
ImageSail Liath by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Summit view
ImageSgurr Fiona by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Panorama from summit
ImagePanorama by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Another ridge shot with cloud
ImageRidge by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

A short SW descent followed by a sharp walk up to reach Sgurr Fiona and the small cairn at 1060m. The sky was clear enough to get great views across to the Fisherfield hills, the Fannichs and out to sea. The sunshine, blue sky and the drifting clouds provided more perspective. There seemed to be a lot of visible surface water over toward Fisherfield and I was glad that I was not walking over there. :roll:
I ate lunch in the clouds before heading for the pinnacles.
ImageBerkeleys Seat by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I tried to keep true to the ridge line as felt safe. This was fine and provided some airy exposure in some instances. I even found a brocken spectre.
ImageBrocken Spectre by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

At Lord Berkeleys seat I was tempted to lie down to put the camera over the edge but declined due to an inherent fear of the ice, without crampons, and an instinct to avoid ending up free falling.
ImageBerkeleys Seat by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I scrambled over the ridges and then came to a section near the final pinnacle of Corrag Bhuidhe where I got a real scare. I was travelling over a narrow section. I placed my left foot on a large boulder and committed to the forward movement when the boulder gave way. One section split to my right and I instinctively grabbed on to a rock to avert a sure fall. I did not see that coming, and to be honest would not have expected a boulder that size to give way. Definitely need to go on a diet. :wink:
At that point one of the Australians appeared traversing clockwise. He said that his girlfriend was on the bypass path below. We both looked at the large boulder and could easily see where it had split, possibly due to ice penetration. We chatted about our routes and he confirmed that it was fine to continue along the ridge and down climb. We moved on in opposite directions. A wee while later I was at the last hands on down climb which was quite steep. A blue threaded sling was evident at the top and at that point I wished I had a rope, especially after the split boulder incident. I could not see an obvious route to the bypass route without going back a fair bit, so I picked a fairly dry line and descended cautiously. I got down safely although it did take a wee while. A look back up at the rocks confirmed without a doubt that it would be far easier to traverse a clock wise route of the hills.
ImagePinnacle by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I tried to photograph the reflections of the clouds and Glas Mheall Liath mirrored in LochTull an Lochan.
ImageReflections by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Anyway I continued on to Stob Cadha Gobhlach 960m. A view down loch na sealga
ImageLoch na Sealga by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
View back over walk
ImageRidge by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Another wee descent, passed an upturned stone marking a rapid NE descent route to the glen floor, then up to the summit of Sail Liath 954m at 1430. Again the views were superb and the top provided a good seat to survey the mountain and landscape.
ImageSail Liath by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I decided to continue along the ridge and descend into the glen to merge with the Shenavil path. Previously I had descended into the glen floor via from the main ridge and found that a lot easier. The stones and rocks were hammering my legs and feet and it seemed to take ages to get down to the better ground. The sun was setting rapidly so I began to pick up speed.
ImageSunset by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

This caused me to regret the decision to wear the Scarpa SL M3 boots as they are heavy and for some reason end up compressing my toes.
Distracting view with interesting cloud colour
ImageClouds by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Daylight going..
ImageSunset by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Going
ImageDusk by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I joined the main path and headed down to the road side at 1650 as darkness descended.

I located the bike and completed a rapid return to the car at 1700. On the drive out just before the snow gates I noticed two head torches at the roadside traveling toward oncoming traffic. I stopped and offered a lift back to the Mountain rescue hut. It was two of the four Australians who had been on the hills. Hopefully it saved them some time and that the other two got back safely.
Good deed done I headed off and was back home just after 1830.
Included a short video of the walk including the rock split moment, apologies for the song. :)

scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Great to be back, up An Teallach (pics and video)

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Excellent piccies and video - really enjoyed that :clap:
Looked like the weather gods were smiling :D

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Meatball » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Awesome!
I salute your work!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Avocetboy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Brilliant photos and love the video
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:39 pm

What a fine day you had, great pics
Glad you survived your scary moment
Must get back up there on a day I can actually see something :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Hill-loving lady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Seems to me that most report winners are more wordy than this, but your report is superb - the photographs are outstanding, bringing back lots of wonderful memories - and your video is totally wonderful, capturing the flavour of the day, and what a day it was! It's a winner for me :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby kev_russ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Braw, just Braw :clap:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 pm

S'math a rinn thu ...... math fhèin, a laochain!

Well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby larry groo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:10 am

Great report....

I jumped a wee bit when you slipped too!!

:shock:
larry groo

Postby Beaner001 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:49 am

Wow, I was up there only a month ago and my pics were nowhere near as good as yours, well done mate. Excellent Mountain and excellent Walk Report :clap: :clap:
All the best
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:51 am

Wonderful mountain, brilliant weather, great report, fantastic pics (and for good measure a lesson for all scramblers!!) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:02 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:Excellent piccies and video - really enjoyed that :clap:
Looked like the weather gods were smiling :D

ATB

Murray

Thanks Murray, I caught a good day..Cheers Kenny

Meatball wrote:Awesome!
I salute your work!

Cheers Meatball..one of the better days..

Avocetboy wrote:Brilliant photos and love the video
Thanks Avocetboy

Must get back up there on a day I can actually see something :wink:[/quote]
Cheers Al, I remember your TR for completion, you guys did get it bad, hopefully the next time will be brighter and drier. ATB Kenny

Hill-loving lady wrote:Seems to me that most report winners are more wordy than this, but your report is superb - the photographs are outstanding, bringing back lots of wonderful memories - and your video is totally wonderful, capturing the flavour of the day, and what a day it was! It's a winner for me :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you HLL. Kenny

kev_russ wrote:Braw, just Braw :clap:
Thanks Kev

Collaciotach wrote:S'math a rinn thu ...... math fhèin, a laochain! Moran Taing CC..Kenny

larry groo wrote:Great report....

I jumped a wee bit when you slipped too!!

:shock:

Cheers Larrygroo..I jumped myself and had a wee swear word.. Kenny

Alteknacker wrote:Wonderful mountain, brilliant weather, great report, fantastic pics (and for good measure a lesson for all scramblers!!) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Alteknacker..Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Your photos are stunning and so sharp and the vertigo-inducing video has made me feel quite queasy. :lol:

Brilliant! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby scoob999 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Nice one :clap:

the pic of the reflections in the lochan is prob one of the best pics ive ever seen :clap: It seems to make a 2d picture look like a 3d one. You should enter it in the landscape photograper of the year comp, judging by this years winner you'd steal the show easily 8)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Lovely report and great pics, oooh the memories, now wheres that video :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland