walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

ME Compressor v Montane Prism

ME Compressor v Montane Prism

Postby durham94 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:15 am

I was pretty set on the Prism until I saw the specs on the Compressor. Has anyone worn both? I know that the Compressor was a bit of a disaster last year when the sleeves failed but the 2014 model looks excellent - Primaloft Gold 60g.

Context: I am getting ready for winter walking this year - wearing HH warm baselayer, ME Ibex trousers, ME Lhotse Jacket, rubbish Berghaus AQ waterproof trousers. I have a Montane Volt fleece which is excellent but I thought I would replace it in the winter with a synthetic insulated jacket (that I could walk in until the Hardshell was needed).

P.S. Recommendations for other insulated jackets are most welcome!
durham94
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:75
Fionas:13   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:36

Re: ME Compressor v Montane Prism

Postby ptc* » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01 am

I've got some stuff in here that's got similar amounts of insulation http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/lightweight-insulation-group-test/0011639/

Don't know the Compressor but the Prism is good on the move of properly cold days, but too much insulation for me most times. I like carrying it and a down vest for a killer rest-stop and camp warm combo.
ptc*

Postby durham94 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:24 am

Ah, so difficult to decide! I tried the Alpha Guide on and it was quite a cool bit of kit. It might be what I'm looking for but I'm not completely sure it will keep me warm enough. I might get it and take my fleece up with me in case and think about getting a down vest like you suggest.
durham94
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:75
Fionas:13   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:36

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:25 pm

I tried my Alpha guide in the field for the first time yesterday, and, as one of the Prism's biggest fans, I can honestly say that it would be a good choice.
Worn under a windproof it was a little warm, but on it's own over a base layer, it performed brilliantly.
That Polartech Alpha is fantastic. Warm, but comfortably breathable.
In full winter, I would go with the Prism, due to Primaloft being warmer and Pertex being a good wind stopper.
The combination of either the Alpha guide or Prism with a Lhotse would handle pretty much anything our 'wonderful' weather would have to throw at you.
The Prism is the only piece of clothing that I always take with me.
Good luck.
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk