walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Cleaning and storing water filters

Cleaning and storing water filters

Postby IanEzzi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:11 pm

I purchased and used a Platypus Gravityworks filter when I was backpacking in Canada, which seems to have done an excellent job in preventing me catching 'Beaver Fever' and the various other nasties they apparently have over there.

Problem is, I don't need it in the UK and stupidly didn't think to sell it while I was over in Canada. If the filter media is stored for a long time it can grow a film of bacteria which sounds pretty gross.

Platypus recommend a fragrance free/pure bleach is used dilute to wash through the filter prior to storing it, but I have been completely unable to find something that doesn't have at least some form of perfume, as well as other additives that I can't identify.

Frustratingly Platypus neglects to recommend any particular product and seeing as they are a US company, probably wouldn't recommend anything I could buy over here anyway.

So, can anyone recommend something that would do the job, anyone else got a similar filter?

Thanks
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Re: Cleaning and storing water filters

Postby prog99 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40 am

Hi Ian, whats to stop you from not using it?
I got ill last year from drinking burn water here (hot summer, sheep and deer higher up than normal) and bought a filter.

Anyway, back to your question. Would baby bottle sterilisers or home brew steriliser (brewstore south clerk street, I know you are in Edinburgh) work?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:08 am

prog99 wrote:Hi Ian, whats to stop you from not using it?
I got ill last year from drinking burn water here (hot summer, sheep and deer higher up than normal) and bought a filter.

Anyway, back to your question. Would baby bottle sterilisers or home brew steriliser (brewstore south clerk street, I know you are in Edinburgh) work?

That was going to be my suggestion baby bottle sterilisers from Boots.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby nathan79 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 am

A third shout for the baby bottle steriliser. Grab a pack of Milton tabs (or equivalent) and they should do the trick for you.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby IanEzzi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks guys, I'll give that a look next time I'm in Boots, much more comfortable putting something designed for baby's bottles in my filter as opposed to something designed for cleaning toilets!

Prog99, I guess you're right, although I doubt I would need it for day hikes so the filter would probably still spend long spells unused between multi-day hikes and I would still need to sterilise it for storage in between them.

Might be useful if I ever persuade my girlfriend to come camping with me, I think she would be horrified at the thought of drinking raw water! :lol:
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 am

How about vinegar? Rinse it out when you go to use it and you're fine.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Quixoticgeek » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:17 pm

I use the puri tabs. I think mine are Oasis 17.5mg ones. One of those in a bag of water through my sawyer seems to do the trick.

J
Quixoticgeek
Hill Bagger

Postby whiteburn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Another vote Miltons fluid.
Make sure the filter is dried thoroughly if it's likely to be exposed to temps below freezing.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk