walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vuirich from Straloch up Gleann Fearnach

Ben Vuirich from Straloch up Gleann Fearnach

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vuirich

Date walked: 23/11/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dad and I decided on the Corbett Ben Vuirich for Sunday since the weather looked to be best in the East. It meant not such an early start for us being Easterners. We looked at the map and a route from the South made more sense for us as the WH route meant a slightly further journey in the car and our route had a tarmac track for a lot of the way and given the rain the East has had lately this would avoid a bog fest. The route we took would make perfect sense for those whom like to cycle as the road is tarmac and would reduce the time the route will take. We walked it though.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked in the small layby on the southern side of road between the School at Straloch and the bridge. However there is room for parking at the start of the private road beside a recycling point but we never realised this till we got to the road.

The tarmac road passes the recycling point and heads up hill slightly and you walk towards a grand sort of entrance with pillars either side of the road, further on there are some cottages and the farm. The farms array of working dogs will scream blue murder as you pass through; our dogs were all on leads for this as lots of sheep and cattle around. Once through the farm the road turns left and borders some woodland on your right and the river is now below you to the left. It is a bit further on you come to the first of the gates with cattle grids, too big for the dogs to jump these but they can balance along the side. The road passes a small wooden building with a sheep pen etc where they must mark and treat the sheep. There is another cattle grid and gate and then the views open up ahead. Follow the road through another gate and cattle grid passing a hydro building on your right.
photo 1.JPG
First view of Ben Vuirich in the mist behind Carn Dubh

You see ahead to the woodland plantation where you cross the river and this is where the dogs finally got off leads as no more sheep or cattle.
photo 2.JPG
Roy pleased to be off the lead eventually

Further on there is another house on your right and the road curves to the left passing the end of the woodland leading to some sort of plantation of crops, fodder possibly? This has an electric fence round it to deter the deer I presume.
photo 4.JPG
Looking up the road just past Druim Cul to the left

photo 6.JPG
Beinn a'Ghlo in distance top left

The hill was littered with deer limbs and the dogs found a full deer head, I presume the stalkers cut the deer up and left the remnants for wildlife to eat. My dogs think they constitute wildlife and had a go at a few deer legs. CONFISCATED SWIFTLY! It was just after this plantation which you pass on your left that we made our way uphill towards Creag Uisage, skirting its left flank.
photo 8.JPG
Looking back down to where we left the road middle right of picture beside field of crops with electric fence

photo 9.JPG
Lochy doing his Lion King impression

photo 10.JPG
Skirting side of Creag Uisage looking to Carn Dubh (Pointy top)

There was a big stone sitting in the glen on the way up which we made our way towards; we stopped and had a brew.
photo 11.JPG
Stone with a hat on in middle of Glen

photo 12.JPG
Dogs resting while we brewed up

photo 13.JPG
Dogs resting while we brewed up

photo 14.JPG
Looking back down the glen to side of Creag Uisage

The next target is a fence which is just before the crags on Carn Dubh.
photo 15.JPG
Looking back after hopping fence

It is easily hopped over which leads to some peat hags and then the steepest part of the day, up Carn Dubh.
photo 16.JPG
Looking up to Carn Dubh

photo 17.JPG
Thick heather on slopes of Carn Dubh

photo 18.JPG
Roy posing

It was here we caught a glimpse of a hare in full winter coat, not a jot of snow on the hill too. We cut over the top but on the eastern side and then descend to a beallach before the easy stroll onto the summit dome, trig point and shelter.
photo 19.JPG
Summit dome Ben Vuirich from Bealach

photo 22.JPG
Dad reaching summit cairn

photo 23.JPG
Me summit cairn

The mist was down so no real views like we were hoping for towards the magnificent Beinn a’Ghlo. We had a snack in the shelter of the summit to see if the mist would clear but had to head off back down the hill disappointed. We made the beallach and then descended round to the left of Creg Dubh this time and the mist parted and we got views of the aptly named Loch Loch and onwards to the Gorms with the Lairig Ghru. We cut back over the fence and made our way back out the same way we came in.
photo 26.JPG
Distant Cairngorms and Lairig Ghru

photo 27.JPG
Loch Loch zoomed

photo 28.JPG
Humpback of a distant Carn a'Gheoidh in the Cairnwell round

photo 29.JPG
Looking back into Gleann Fearnach

photo 30.JPG
Trying the black and white on the iphone

By the time we reached the road the light was fading but as we knew it was a tarmac road all the way out we were not too bothered.
photo 31.JPG
Heading back to tarmac track in fading light

Retraced our steps all the way, passing through the farm with the dogs barking furiously again. A great wee day, pity no summit views but stayed dry and I now feel on my way to getting a few more Corbetts done.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Vuirich from Straloch up Gleann Fearnach

Postby PeteR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Nice one Beaner. I was up on Vuirich myself on Sunday, approaching via the WH route. A superb day, with just enough mist early on to create the atmosphere, but not so much so that I couldn't see anything :D Only one short section of proper bog fest too, as a fair bit of the approach and route out is track.

There was quite an arctic chill when I arrived on the summit, which was clagged for me too when I arrived up there. I hung around a bit in the shelter (a bit cosy with the trig pillar :lol: ) and managed to get some good views of Loch Loch eventually. Beinn a'Ghlo remained elusive for much of the day, with cloud or mist hanging around more than the walkers on that hill would probably have liked. Clearly a day when Corbetts were best :D

I'm currently about 4 reports behind in my recent walks :roll: but might well get round to posting my own effort of this hill in the next day or so :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Have this hill on my radar and hadn't considered this particular approach - doesn't look to be as boggy as the one suggested on WH, might make it before the end of the year - thanks :D
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:43 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice one Beaner. I was up on Vuirich myself on Sunday, approaching via the WH route. A superb day, with just enough mist early on to create the atmosphere, but not so much so that I couldn't see anything :D Only one short section of proper bog fest too, as a fair bit of the approach and route out is track.

There was quite an arctic chill when I arrived on the summit, which was clagged for me too when I arrived up there. I hung around a bit in the shelter (a bit cosy with the trig pillar :lol: ) and managed to get some good views of Loch Loch eventually. Beinn a'Ghlo remained elusive for much of the day, with cloud or mist hanging around more than the walkers on that hill would probably have liked. Clearly a day when Corbetts were best :D

I'm currently about 4 reports behind in my recent walks :roll: but might well get round to posting my own effort of this hill in the next day or so :wink:

Pity we were not a bitty earlier and could have bumped into you at the top :( Look forward to your version mate. I couldn't put it better myself - defo an arctic chill on summit but when hunched down in the shelter all was good, especially with a flask of hot coffee :lol:
I am hoping to do a few Corbetts this Winter, really enjoyed the three I've done so far :D
Cheers

weaselmaster wrote:Have this hill on my radar and hadn't considered this particular approach - doesn't look to be as boggy as the one suggested on WH, might make it before the end of the year - thanks :D

No probs mate, It is good I can repay the favour since I've looked at your reports for most of the hills I've done past and will hope to do future. Knowing you and Alison you may want to tag on the Graham the south of the road too :shock: :lol:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:11 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Have this hill on my radar and hadn't considered this particular approach - doesn't look to be as boggy as the one suggested on WH, might make it before the end of the year - thanks :D

Knowing you and Alison you may want to tag on the Graham the south of the road too :shock: :lol:
Cheers[/quote]

It's the Top of Airgiod Beinn on Beinn a'Ghlo that I really want to combine with this one, hence the thoughts of going from the west route, but I did see that Graham at the start of your route...
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:57 am

weaselmaster wrote:

Knowing you and Alison you may want to tag on the Graham the south of the road too :shock: :lol:
Cheers

It's the Top of Airgiod Beinn on Beinn a'Ghlo that I really want to combine with this one, hence the thoughts of going from the west route, but I did see that Graham at the start of your route...[/quote]

How do you record and keep note of your tops? Should really be keeping a note of these :?
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks for posting Beaner, been thinking about this one for a long time. Decision time approach from the South or the West? :roll: I wonder. Pity no views, but looks like a good one for a frosty day. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Thanks for posting Beaner, been thinking about this one for a long time. Decision time approach from the South or the West? :roll: I wonder. Pity no views, but looks like a good one for a frosty day. :D

Hi Rod, it be a great hill for a frosty day, gutted about the views but that's the game we play :lol: :D
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Beaner001 wrote:How do you record and keep note of your tops? Should really be keeping a note of these :?

www.hill-bagging.co.uk

enter at your peril :crazy:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby dogplodder » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 pm

It's great to see this route and the top of this hill! :D About 20 years ago a good friend (who had previously owned and run the Straloch estate) said he never quite got the mentality of "baggers". He was out on the hill most days but he'd never been to the actual top of Ben Vuirich (which was on his land) because he had dogs to go up there so there was no need. He's sadly no longer with us but I always thought that one day I'd go up there for Stephen and now you've shown me the way he'd probably have gone with his dogs - except he never got there as there was no need. :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 pm

Nice one and cracking dogs :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:49 pm

dogplodder wrote:It's great to see this route and the top of this hill! :D About 20 years ago a good friend (who had previously owned and run the Straloch estate) said he never quite got the mentality of "baggers". He was out on the hill most days but he'd never been to the actual top of Ben Vuirich (which was on his land) because he had dogs to go up there so there was no need. He's sadly no longer with us but I always thought that one day I'd go up there for Stephen and now you've shown me the way he'd probably have gone with his dogs - except he never got there as there was no need. :lol:

Haha, nice wee riddle there, I would love to own land like that, I imagine in summer it be a lovely glen to walk the dogs in :D

Collaciotach wrote:Nice one and cracking dogs :D

Cheers Colla, next time im over your way i'll maybe get a walk in with you, have family in Aryhoulan :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Smashing report :clap: - I used to tramp around this area in the past but missed this one - reason to go back I think!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:33 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Smashing report :clap: - I used to tramp around this area in the past but missed this one - reason to go back I think!

Thanks, i was not familiar with this area but dad has done a lot of Duke of Edinburgh trips here and this was his last hill of note in the area. I've still all the Corbetts to do :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Enjoyed your report.

I'm hoping to do this hill soon and this is my planned route so it was good to get some info.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland