walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vuirich from Straloch

Ben Vuirich from Straloch

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vuirich

Date walked: 05/12/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21.6 km

Ascent: 807m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been a while since I've been out on the hills, instead I've had to settle for reading hill reports and decorating the dining room. Three weeks ago I knackered my back which had me laid up for a week, being the sensible chap I am, at the end of the week I thought it would be a good idea to go the gym where I managed to pull a calf muscle which meant another week off so at last today I was able to throw the boots in the car and head off.

Today was always going to be a Corbett day, I liked the look of the two Fife Flyer did last weekend at Lochearnhead but in the end plumped for Ben Vuirich simply because it's a hill I've been looking to do for about a year now. The forecast looked to be really good but it also sounded like winter was coming so an extra couple of layers were in the rucksack just in case.

I arrived at Straloch nice and early so was parked by the recycling area and walking for 8.20am.

1.jpg
Parking area

It was good to make my usual early start but the sun was still to make an appearance so it was a fairly cold start and the tarmac road up as far as the farm was very slippy.

2.jpg

As I approached the farm the dogs got wind of me and the barking started. The dogs at the farm set off the dogs in the garden in a house on the other side of the road so it was a pretty noisy 5 minutes till I was through the farm yard.

I then came to a cattle grid with a number of Highland cows on the other side.

3.jpg
A bit of an obstacle

As soon as these guys noticed me they made a lot more noise than the dogs managed. Not sure if it was feeding time and the farmer was late but whatever was upsetting them they were letting me know about it. They also weren't in a mood to move so I had to share the road with them. Behind the cows in the photo there were several with very impressive horns so I was keeping a close eye on them as I was only about 3 feet away from them.

Leaving the cows behind the tarmac road keeps to the east of the river and there's no need to get the map out until I cross over to the west side so I just enjoy the walk up the glen.

4.jpg

I met a guy on the bridge and he was telling me he had moved in to the cottage just up the road and he was heading a mile down the road towards the farm where he could get mobile reception. I was having a look at the cottage as I passed, at the bottom of the garden there was a bridge over the river then open access on to the hills - I think I hate him!!!

After crossing the bridge and then the cottage on my right I then went beyond the fir trees on my left and gave it about 300-400 metres before spotting a grassy track that was heading directly uphill more in the direction of Meall Daimheidh than Ben Vuirich but I decided it was time to leave the tarmac behind so took it.

It was a bit damp but the gradient was fairly easy and I was able to gain a bit of height easily.

5.jpg
Carn Dubh with Beinn a' Ghlo in the background

6.jpg

After about 15 minutes of climbing the gradient eased and I was now able to see my route ahead to reach the foot of the climb up to Carn Dubh. I took a fairly direct route towards the eastern side of Carn Dubh and was able to contour round the slopes to keep on a level gradient. On reaching a fence there was one boggy section that was pretty damp and a bit difficult mainly as it had been frosty but not cold enough to firm up all the peat bogs so some would hold my weight while others gave way and I was in mud up to nearly my knees.

7.jpg
Heather bashing towards Carn Dubh

8.jpg

9.jpg

I scared a huge herd of red deer just before reaching the start of the climb of Carn Dubh and it was a good excuse to stop and watch them before starting the main climb of the day. I had been looking at the hill from a distance trying to decide which route up I would take, in the end I just went over towards the east side and then as I climbed I headed west over the hill until I eventually reached a wall which I followed to the top. The lower slopes were quite steep and the climb took longer than I expected.

10.jpg
Gaining height and a dusting of snow on the ground

On reaching the top of Carn Dubh it was good to see that the final climb to Ben Vuirich would be easy and there was a white track all the way to the trig point.

11.jpg
Summit of Ben Vuirich now in sight

Now that I was on the broad top the wind was much stronger and it was bitingly cold (or I've become a wimp over the summer). When I got to the trig point I was quickly in to the rucksack for an extra layer and my neck fleece that goes everywhere with me in the winter months.

12.jpg
Summit of Ben Vuirich with Beinn a' Ghlo in the background

13.jpg

14.jpg

It might be bloomin freezing up here but it's a great day to be out and the combination of blue sky, fast moving clouds and snow has me captivated but it's not a day for hanging around so after ten minutes I was off again.

15.jpg

16.jpg
Looking East

I decided to head back down the east side of Carn Dubh as I wanted to see Loch Loch.

17.jpg
Loch Loch in the distance

Having taken a more easterly route down I thought I might as well head down to Creag Uisage rather than my route in.

18.jpg
Looking back to Ben Vuirich

19.jpg
The small bump of Creag Uisage ahead

It looked like the walk down could be a bit damp as it's a bit of a bowl that looks like it would retain a lot of water but it was better than I expected although there are one or two very small hidden burns to watch out for.

Taking this route down meant I met the road about half a mile higher up the glen but it was good to hit the tarmac and take a layer of clothing off as well as the hat, gloves etc as now that I'm out of the wind it's quite warm.

20.jpg
Looking up the glen

21.jpg
and again

22.jpg
and again

Being back on tarmac meant that it was a fairly quick walk back down the glen and it was good to see the cows had moved away from the cattle grid and I didn't have to squeeze past them.

23.jpg

24.jpg

Back to the farm, wound up the dogs again then another ten minutes and I was back at the car. Time for this walk was 5hrs 26 mins with 4hrs 56 mins walking and 30 minutes putting on and taking off layers.

Great day out on a good hill.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Ben Vuirich from Straloch

Postby AnnieMacD » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:10 am

Enjoyed that and some great photos. Love the cows! Hope the walk helped your injuries - it does look like a good hill for getting your strength back.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:19 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Enjoyed that and some great photos. Love the cows! Hope the walk helped your injuries - it does look like a good hill for getting your strength back.

Hi Annie

Yes, nice to get out into the hills again.

Ben Vuirich isn't as dramatic as some of the hills in your part of the world but great views from the summit.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby kevsbald » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Never considered this approach to this one but will defo do it after having read your report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:00 pm

kevsbald wrote:Never considered this approach to this one but will defo do it after having read your report.

Hi kevsbald

It's a good route in as long as you don't mind a bit of tarmac (with no traffic).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Like you this one has been in my thoughts for a while, don't know if I'm up for starting at this point, you have put me off seeing the horns on the cows :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:41 am

Lovely report and pics, the cows give added adventure :lol: hope the injuries are recovering.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Nice one Gordie, I confess I had to check the map to confirm exactly where you had been :lol:
Ben Vuirich is really in the middle of nowhere, the start you opted for looks like the best access, maybe pencil that one in for next year :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:26 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Like you this one has been in my thoughts for a while, don't know if I'm up for starting at this point, you have put me off seeing the horns on the cows :crazy:

Over 100m I'd back you against any of those cows Rod :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely report and pics, the cows give added adventure :lol: hope the injuries are recovering.

Thanks Huff_n_Puff - injuries are all fine now but no doubt there will be other following along behind :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Gordie, I confess I had to check the map to confirm exactly where you had been :lol:
Ben Vuirich is really in the middle of nowhere, the start you opted for looks like the best access, maybe pencil that one in for next year :lol:

A good one for you to stick your bike in the boot FF.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Looks a great walk with very fine views but must admit the day would have been a non started for me with the cows :lol: I am just not brave enough to walk among them.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Looks a great walk with very fine views but must admit the day would have been a non started for me with the cows :lol: I am just not brave enough to walk among them.

Hi Sarah - don't think Penny would enjoy it either - too many cattle grids.
Gordie12
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland