walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

head torch questions

head torch questions

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 am

How much do you realistically need to spend to get a decent head torch? I've got a Robins one that cost less than 20 quid but it eats through batteries and isn't even that bright.
I saw a group test somewhere last week on head torches and even the expensive ones didn't come out that well.
So can anyone recommend a decent one?

Thanks.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: head torch questions

Postby CharlesT » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 am

I've always found Petzl to be good. Using Petzl Tikka Plus 2 at present and battery life is pretty good. Has two levels of brightness and a red light feature so you can conserve batteries when strong light not needed. I carry a cheapo Silva (£10) as back up and it's ok too.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks Charles. I'm on ebay looking at some, you've got to laugh at the lumens claims.
doggy

Postby malky_c » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Got a £20 one (Gelert I think). It has done me fine for bothies, camping and the odd retreat off the hills in the dark. The LED mode on it means that it runs for ages, although it also has a slightly brighter normal bulb too.

I got reminded of the sort of headtorches night orienteers use earlier in the week. Brighter than some car headlights! Hefty battery packs, mind.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Gythral » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:39 pm

The group test and thoughts on it are here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45601

Still using a Petzl Zoom, with a cheap 40lm no name as a back-up to change the slab out :D
I bought it just as LED head torches were starting to appear ... so wasn't going to be the first to try the new things out...

And I have walked out on forest trails using the 40lm one, not sure I'd want to climb using it but it did the job!
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:36 pm

The group test was out last week and it was conducted by some long distance fell runner or something, wish I could remember were I saw it. It might have popped up on my newsfeeds or something.
Alpkit seem to get good reviews even though they are fairly cheap.
doggy

Postby Andy74G » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:21 pm

I recently upgrade my head torch because I would be doing more winter walking this year, and wanted a torch that would light up the hillside a good bit in front of me and would last for hrs on full beam. I looked at lots of reviews and bought a black diamond icon headlamp from Amazon £60 its not the lightest headlamp, powered by (4xAAbatteries) but it's well made, waterproof with a 80meter beam and on max settings it's VERY BRIGHT :D with a good battery life, I'm happy now that if I'm out on the hills in the dark I'll be ok. My old Petzl lamp will be my spare now it ran on 3 AAA batteries and will be enough for close proximity lighting.
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Postby doggy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:57 pm

I was in Tiso today looking at Petzl and Black diamond, spending around £50 on either brand should be all I'll ever need.
doggy

Postby murwilson » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Whilst practising night nav recently I was extremely impressed by a colleagues LED Lenser H7.2 headlamp which has a zoom function on the beam. 170lm I think it was and all for around 35 quid off Ebay.

When my current Black Diamond 'torch dies, I'll be looking at their range. German made too I believe.

Mur
murwilson

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:24 am

I just got the LED Lenser SEO 7R which is rechargeable. I carry it plus my old Silva for backup and/or spare batteries as the rechargeable battery can be swapped out for 3 AAA batteries. The thing I like most about the LED Lenser is that there is a setting on it where it adapts to the amount of light by reducing/increasing the intensity and the width of the beam. It's a bit heavier than my old head torch and not cheap but well worth it in my opinion. Maybe Santa will bring it to you!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby tenohfive » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:21 am

I've got a Lenser H7.2 and it's very good. Max 250 lumens (short bursts, 10-20 seconds I think) and the high runs at around 200 lumens. The reality is though that you can set it to what you need below 200 by turning a knob on the back battery case to dim it down to whatever you need. That and the flood to throw method (which I think Lenser's are great for) makes it very adaptable.

Some reviews knock the Lensers for being difficult to adjust the flood to throw in thick gloves - a worthy consideration if you're doing a lot of midnight walking in cold temps - but I generally find that once I've got the beam pattern how I want I don't tend to mess around much whilst I'm on the go.

Worthwhile read here though:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-features/ten-best-headtorches-for-running-reviewed/13653.html

Personally, if money were no object I'd be sorely tempted by a Zebralight H600 though. Stupidly bright torch by all accounts.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:33 pm

I, like others, have always thought head torches a little pricey!
But, since buying a Petzl Tikka XP (£50) in the sale for £40, I am pleased to report that I am more than happy with the results! Even if I had paid full price! :shock:
It has 5 settings for white light and 2 for red. More than enough.

We, Flump (Andy) and I, recently cycled in the dark from An Sgarsoch to Linn of Dee (over 12k) with torch set to beam number 3 (about medium) with no problems at all.
I am seriously impressed with them so far.
Battery life has been great too. Now after third camp/outing, still no sign of failure. Mostly using setting 1 around camp and setting 3 for walking.

Great value. :D (always carry a cheap spare & batteries :wink: )

Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby nathan79 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:58 pm

On a budget Alpkit can't be beaten imho.
Want to splash a bit more cash then go for Black diamond.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby bydand_loon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:41 am

I saw a couple of Petzl models on sale (40%) at tamarak outdoors online earlier on.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:48 am

Once upon atime it was easy - you bought a Petzl Zoom 'cos that's all there was; it was pretty good for the time - 30M beam, good endurance from the slab battery, handy spare bulb in the housing, but bulky and heavy by today's standards. Now there's so much choice it's too much choice.

I have several ranging from an (expensive) Petzl Duo used for caving to a chain store el cheapo kept in the car. For winter hill use you can get one that will do the job reliably and well from £40 to £5O; plenty to choose from, with most outdoor shops stocking Petzl and/or Black Diamond. Alpkit has been mentioned; another good budget option (£20) is the Cybalite Egg stocked by Blacks - 60M beam on high, low setting, red setting, SOS setting and enough battery life for several hours night walking. Talking of which, take manufacturers claims of battery life with a pinch of salt; in most cases you'll want to change them long before that (Black Diamond used to define useable light as being able to see your hands to tie a knot) particularly if it's cold. Don't get too obsessed by the lumen count either - most folk coped quite happily with the Zoom's 30M beam (more than adequate when I was doing night nav for the ML). Remember that more power equates to shorter battery life, always.

As has been mentioned by others, today's offerings are so light and compact there's no reason not to take a backup, preferably loaded with lithium batteries or cold weather; so much easier than fiddling with batteries in the cold, dark and wet.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk