walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No Hills Today

No Hills Today

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Date walked: 13/12/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 307m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On days when I want to go walking but not climb hills I always seem to find myself at Cally Car Park (Dunkeld). If they ever start charging for this car park my hill walking costs will rise dramatically.

Today was one of those days, I wasn't sure how much snow had fallen, I could see from the office in Perth that the Grampians were white but was it ankle deep or thigh deep - a trip to Dunkeld would give me a better idea.

I set off just before 8.30, as usual the first car in the car park (which was frozen solid and very slippy).

It was pretty cold but also flat calm so no cold wind to go with the low temperature.

1.jpg
The moon - soon to depart

Passing Hatton, the peacocks were still high up in the oak tree having a weekend sleep in.

The track made for difficult walking, the snow in the middle of the track was crisp but hard going whilst the areas where vehicles had compacted the snow were frozen and iced up so best to avoid.

2.jpg
To be replaced by the sun

I usually reach Mill Dam in 35 minutes but it was slower going today in the wintry conditions. The gate at The Glack kennels was frozen solid so had to nip over to the other side of the house and pick up the track that comes up from Loch of Craiglush which took me on to Mill Dam.

3.jpg
Deuchary Hill from Mill Dam

Mill Dam was frozen over and the resident swans (two of them) were restricted to a very small patch of water at the far end of the loch so I didn't get a decent look at them today.

4.jpg
Rotmell Loch

5.jpg
Rotmell Loch

Once I was past Raor Lodge the track up to Loch Ordie was easier. There was more snow about and no ice to deal with so I was able to make better time.

6.jpg
Low hills to the west of Loch Ordie

7.jpg
River flowing out of Loch Ordie

It's rare for me to settle for only going as far as Loch Ordie (I normally head on to Lochan Oisinneach Mor) but was happy to settle for reaching the loch today.

8.jpg
Loch Ordie

9.jpg
Lochordie Lodge

I decided to take the higher route back to Mill Dam so followed the path behind the lodge.

10.jpg
My right turn

Once through the gate above Lochordie Lodge I was now on a path that is used a lot less than the main track but it's well worth the effort of the climb as the views can be great on a good day.

11.jpg
A lot more snow up here

The walking is now more difficult, in some places there's about 4 inches of snow but put a boot in the wrong place and there can be a foot of snow. It was a bit of a slow plod as the path slowly climbs uphill.

12.jpg
Gaining height

13.jpg
Nice to have the boots in snow again

14.jpg
Back to Mill Dam with the clouds rolling in

After Mill Dam I took the same route back round the kennels assuming the gate would still be frozen.

Very strange to be on these tracks on a weekend and only see a couple of other people out, it's normally a pretty busy place. Nearing the car park I was amazed to see a guy coming up the track on a mountain bike, not sure if he was brave or daft.

Good day to be out and walking in the white stuff.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: No Hills Today

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:19 pm

That looks a fine daunder there Gordie, I must give this a go sometime, looks like the gaiters would get an airing just now as well. I had a lazy day, a bit of painting DIY before the family drops in for Christmas. How were the back roads to Dunkeld?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:28 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:That looks a fine daunder there Gordie, I must give this a go sometime, looks like the gaiters would get an airing just now as well. I had a lazy day, a bit of painting DIY before the family drops in for Christmas. How were the back roads to Dunkeld?

The roads around us are pretty rubbish at the moment especially for me as on working mornings I leave the house before 5 and usually head for the hills before 7 so a long time before the gritters get to our part of the world.

My DIY is over for this year, got the dining room decorated during the rubbish weekend weather two or three weeks ago - keeps me in the good books for heading off to the hills at every opportunity.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:00 pm

a nice morning for it :)

Loads of snow yesterday and last week - wonder how much will melt today ? :(
wilkiemurray

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:12 pm

That looks a really enjoyable walk, especially in those conditions. I too often enjoy a nice wee wander around some local area.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Sarah86 wrote:That looks a really enjoyable walk, especially in those conditions. I too often enjoy a nice wee wander around some local area.

Hi Sarah - Loch Ordie is a popular place especially at weekends. There is always a mix of runners, mountain bikers, dog walkers, tourists, fishermen and serious walkers. Despite it's popularity, I still enjoy it especially once past the loch which seems to be as far as most people go.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:32 am

Nice one Gordie, enjoyed reading that :clap:
Have to confess I had to look at the GPS planner to see exactly where you were :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland