walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shepherds hill with the dogs

Shepherds hill with the dogs

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 07/12/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10.07 km

Ascent: 662m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dad and I arranged to do a hill walk today and the initial plan had been to do a couple of Corbetts around Drumochter, however the snow was dinging down going over the A9 and we did not want to get the car stuck so we about turned and went back to Aviemore to do the fine Corbett Meall a’Bhuachaille.
photo 1.JPG
Poor weather coming over Drumochter

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We managed to get parked at the end of the road beside Glenmore Lodge and walked along Ryvoan Pass. It was a lovely winter’s day and the snow was not too deep so we made good time. The pine trees held snow on them and the dogs had great fun diving around.
photo 2.JPG
Start of the walk through Ryvoan Pass

photo 3.JPG
Dogs having fun

photo 4.JPG
Loonies swimming In the green loch

Stopped at the Green Loch where the dogs went in for a swim, even though it must have been freezing. Loonies.
photo 5.JPG
Nethy bridge route for us

photo 7.JPG
Path was cycle able, a few cyclists past us

photo 8.JPG
Snow balls sticking to Roys fur

photo 9.JPG
Lochy enjoying the snow

photo 10.JPG
Chalamain gap above Dads head in the distance

photo 11.JPG
Zoomed in version

photo 12.JPG
Ryvoan Bothy

We carried on to Ryvoan Bothy and took a left up the hillside to the start of the fairly steep climb uphill. The path is excellent but the snow made it slippy in places. The hillside offered great views into the Cairngorms.
photo 13.JPG
Looking back to Chalamain gap again

photo 14.JPG
Looking back down path to the bothy

photo 15.JPG
Bynack More (my first ever Munro) in the distance

photo 16.JPG
Moody looking Cairngorms

photo 17.JPG
Brightening up Cairngorms

photo 18.JPG
Bynack More Clearing, Ben Avon on the left in distance

photo 19.JPG
All the dogs

photo 20.JPG
And again

We made the top reasonably quickly and hunkered down in the summit cairn to drink warm soup and have a sanner.
photo 21.JPG
Summit in view

photo 22.JPG
Loch Morlich

We decided to head on over to Creagan Gorm to see if we could see Boat of Garten but the mist was down looking that way so no such luck.
photo 23.JPG
Summit Creagan Gorm

photo 24.JPG
Last one of the Moody Cairngorms from Creagan Gorm

We decided to leave Craigowrie and returned to the bealach between Meall a’Bhuachaille and Creagan Gorm and descend back down the path to the road into Glenmore lodge. A nice easy intro to the winter season but will deffo need to dawn the 4 season boots as the summer boots did not give enough grip. We had a very enjoyable day which gave great views into the Monadh Ruadh.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Shepherds hill with the dogs

Postby martin.h » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:51 pm

Nice one Matthew the photo's show the mood of the weather really well, we just wish we lived closer to the Highlands so we could take advantage of the weather at short notice. The dogs looked like they enjoyed it, even
though they must have a couple of slates loose in their heads, mind you, dogs and water.....................!!!! :roll:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:36 pm

martin.h wrote:Nice one Matthew the photo's show the mood of the weather really well, we just wish we lived closer to the Highlands so we could take advantage of the weather at short notice. The dogs looked like they enjoyed it, even
though they must have a couple of slates loose in their heads, mind you, dogs and water.....................!!!! :roll:

Yes they are defo missing a screws Marts haha. Your right we are very lucky we have so many options for mountains within a reasonable distance :D
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 pm

One of my favourite local hills this one - great for kids and dogs alike! I'm not sure my two would have voluntarily swum in the Green Lochan this weather (well Tess would have if I threw a stick in but she's obsessive complulsive when it comes to sticks) so I'm concluding springers are even more bonkers than labs when it comes to water! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby litljortindan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Looks like you made a good choice. Maybe one for the spring for me.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 pm

That looks great :clap: - its a hill that we've been meaning to head up for a while now - perhaps over the holidays - if we can get some control of our house guests - 2 extra spaniels :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:36 pm

dogplodder wrote:One of my favourite local hills this one - great for kids and dogs alike! I'm not sure my two would have voluntarily swum in the Green Lochan this weather (well Tess would have if I threw a stick in but she's obsessive complulsive when it comes to sticks) so I'm concluding springers are even more bonkers than labs when it comes to water! :lol:

Haha, yes they do love water, in it at every opportunity. It's a great wee hill and not a huge trek but gives that sense of wilderness. Super views too :D

Huff_n_Puff wrote:That looks great :clap: - its a hill that we've been meaning to head up for a while now - perhaps over the holidays - if we can get some control of our house guests - 2 extra spaniels :lol: :lol:

Its a good one for winter, not sure about trying to shepherd 4 Spaniels though haahaa :lol:

litljortindan wrote:Looks like you made a good choice. Maybe one for the spring for me.

Yeah it was a great wee hill for the time we had :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby jonny616 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:30 pm

I love that hill and the whole area. Camp there at least once a year with the family. Cheers 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Everything looks so pretty covered in snow but your dogs are brave going in the water, must have been freezing!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland