walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Each, a nice winter test

Beinn Each, a nice winter test

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Route description: Beinn Each from Loch Lubnaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 11/12/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.66 km

Ascent: 745m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had booked a cottage at Crieff Hydro for the week and I was allowed one day for hillwalking. Laura my wife has done a few Munros with me, however she does not like ascents and prefers low level walking/running so I tend to be with mates, my dad or solo when I go hill walking. I had been studying the weather for the whole week so as to pick the best day. Thursday I felt would give the best chance of cloud free summits and my aim had been to do a couple of the Crianlarich Munros but the weather looked too unpredictable for long spells so I chose a cracking wee Corbett that would hopefully mean I was not on the hill very long given the recent snow fall.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left the cottage and was at the layby before the farm at Ardchullerie on the banks of Loch Lubnaig within 30 mins. Walked up the road and passed the shed on the left taking me on a wee path up through the trees.
photo 1.JPG
Pleading up behind the shed with the double doors

There were signs stating small scale forestry work was going on but the weather had obviously knocked that on the head. It looked like I was going to be alone on the hill today.
photo 2.JPG
Heading up through the dense forestry

photo 3.JPG
Meeting the main forestry track

Cross a stream and keep going up through the trees and you pop out on the landrover track. Turn left along the track and keep heading up the Glen through a big gate where you leave the forestry behind.
photo 4.JPG
Coming up to the set of gates where you leave the forestry behind

photo 5.JPG
Sign after going through the gates

photo 6.JPG
Tree covered Hillside North of Glen Ample, looking majestic in the snow

photo 7.JPG
Track heading up Glen Ample

Eventually you come to a sign that indicates the way forward to Loch Earn, Back to Loch Lubnaig and off right to the hill path. I took the hill path through some reeds and onto the open hill side where I spotted around a hundred deer. What a sight it was seeing them make short work of the terrain when it took me all my effort to get ten feet.
photo 8.JPG
Deer in the distance

photo 9.JPG
There must be a hundred of them going up over the hillside

The snow was hellish deep in places and as soon as the gradient steepened it was slippy and I wished I had taken my micro spikes. Luckily I had changed over to the four season boots which had good grip. It was tiring making slow progress in the snow and we took a stop to let a snow storm pass as moving in it was hard.
photo 10.JPG
Waiting on a snow storm passing

photo 11.JPG
Lochy

photo 12.JPG
Looking back over to the North of Glen Ample

Once it passed we made our way higher, picking the best line over the hill where the drifts were not too deep, a couple of times I sunk in up to waist. I had borrowed one of my dad’s walking poles and this greatly helped my cause. I had to take a stop and empty snow and ice out of my boot after plunging into a wee stream the snow had camouflaged. A number of stops were taken to remove all the snow balls off the dogs hair, this must have been a tad annoying for them but they never complained or showed signs of distress. Shortly after this the skies opened up a bit and I saw the summit ahead, I found the path here again and it was an easy stroll up to the tiny summit cairn. A few photos and we were on our way as the wind was really chilly.
photo 13.JPG
Dogs on the small summit cairn

photo 14.JPG
Another Snow ball removal stop

photo 15.JPG
Another Snow ball removal stop

We followed the path all the way this time and it was easier on the knees going down in the soft snow.
photo 16.JPG
Looking back to Loch Lubnaig and over to Ben Ledi

photo 17.JPG
Follow the fence posts down

photo 18.JPG
Snow getting deep in places

photo 19.JPG
Ben Ledi with sun breaking through

photo 22.JPG
The sign we turned right at onto the open hillside earlier

photo 23.JPG
Forestry North of Glen Ample

photo 24.JPG
And Again

We reached the landrover track and were back in the car just as another snow storm hit. I think the testing conditions made this Corbett a bit more exciting than it may have otherwise been but I’d much rather be out in the hills than not and this one fit the bill for the conditions and time available. Really enjoyed myself. Dogs obviously did too :D
Attachments
photo 25.JPG
Tired dogs back at the cottage = Peace
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Beinn Each, a nice winter test

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Nice one ..the dogs look just grand :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby litljortindan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Amazing picture of the deer. Sounds like a minor epic with the waist deep snow, hidden stream and dogs' ears looking like wind socks in one of the pics. Yes, sometimes you just have to go walking if it's what you like to do.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Oh, nice one there - looks a great day out and the dogs looked to be having a ball :lol: :lol:

(Seriously though had to censor that last pic - we'd have had a rebellion here if B&B had got sight of a dog asleep on an armchair :shock: :shock: )
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Nice one ..the dogs look just grand :clap: :clap:

Great wee hill Colla to get up if your passing and don't have much time. Cheers

litljortindan wrote:Amazing picture of the deer. Sounds like a minor epic with the waist deep snow, hidden stream and dogs' ears looking like wind socks in one of the pics. Yes, sometimes you just have to go walking if it's what you like to do.

First time I've seen that many deer and when they took off up the hill it was a wonderful sight. Gotta grab opportunities to get out on the hills with both hands when they appear :lol: :lol:

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Oh, nice one there - looks a great day out and the dogs looked to be having a ball :lol: :lol:

(Seriously though had to censor that last pic - we'd have had a rebellion here if B&B had got sight of a dog asleep on an armchair :shock: :shock: )

Haha, yes Lochy got a reprieve coz he was on his holidays, he probably ended up with back ache after that sleeping position :lol: :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Looks a great day out and your dogs look like they a had a wonderful time out in the snow.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland