walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Trailblazing on Meall na Fearna

Trailblazing on Meall na Fearna

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Fearna

Date walked: 16/12/2014

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 730m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Trip number 46 for 2014 and probably the last one.
This was a last minute outing purely because there looked like being a decent weather window and as Meall na Fearna was the closest Corbett, that would be my target.
The forecast was for a less than 5% chance of rain, a bit breezy with a temperature high up feeling like -12c, but us walkers can cope with that :lol:
So off I set at 7.45 was hoping to meet Geo (munromadmen) at the parking area on the south side of Loch Earn as he was planning to walk up Ben Vorlich. I had anticipated arriving at the parking area for 9am but after the usual heavies and Tuesday morning drivers held me up, I was 10mins later than planned :(
I noticed Geo's car parked so I kitted up and set off at a nice brisk pace, mainly to keep warm :lol:

DSCF7520.JPG
Parking area with a rather nice backdrop

DSCF7522.JPG
The road back to St Fillans, Geo's car parked nice and early

DSCF7523.JPG
Ben Vorlich looking very appealing

The route up Meall na Fearna follows the well trodden track up to Vorlich, once across the wooden bridge the track splits into two, I was heading left which would take me down Glen Vorlich. Once on the 'new' track the surface underfoot got a bit squidgy, this all changed once I reached a nice new wooden bridge. The surface was icy which wasn't too bad going up, I was making a mental note of the conditions in anticipation of the descent which I knew would/could be fun :lol: The bridge itself was like being on Kirkcaldy Ice Rink (where Fife Flyer's play ice hockey), not that I have been to the rink :lol: I had to hold on tight to the handrail as the bridge was on a slight slope and I would have been across the bridge on my backside :lol:

DSCF7524.JPG
Nice new bridge, the start of the ice rink

As I got slightly higher the icy surface changed to snow patches which was fine initially, however as the snow got a bit deeper that made the path invisible, so I was now blazing my own trail. The weather was superb, bit blowy and cold but the visibility was excellent and I could see my target so it was just a matter of picking what hopefully would be the best and easiest route :lol: The whole of the walk is dominated by Ben Vorlich on the right hand side and it's ever changing shape 8)

DSCF7532.JPG
Was this 'munromadmen'?

DSCF7534.JPG
Looking back down to Loch Earn

DSCF7535.JPG
North

DSCF7538.JPG
Zoom of 'munromadmen' marching up Vorlich

DSCF7539.JPG
Vorlich looking fabulous

DSCF7540.JPG
Loch Earn from higher up

DSCF7541.JPG
Confirming snow on the hills to the north

DSCF7544.JPG
Vorlich with the moon just above the summit (if you look closely)

If you look at the OS map you will notice that the approach to Meall na Fearna has lots of undulating humps and bumps, the final approach to the foot of MnF is covered by a large expanse of peat hags :roll:
As we all know peat hags is not the best terrain to walk over, however I was very fortunate, snow and ice covered the area. I still had to be very careful because I could hear ice cracking under my body weight, so I was using my poles to great effect. I was concious that I could easily be knee deep in either snow, mud or water - snow I don't mind and that did happen a few times, but mud and water yuk :lol:

DSCF7547.JPG
Stalagtites on peat hags

DSCF7553.JPG
More bits of ice

DSCF7567.JPG
More ice, snow & water before it freezes over

DSCF7568.JPG
Peat hags in their best form

DSCF7556.JPG
No path to lose this time

Once the peat hags were conquered safely I was then surveying the way up to the summit, there are a few craggy bits and the going got quite steep, but I knew it wasn't far now so I soldiered on to the summit.
The summit was a small pile of rocks, I was going to put a snowball on top but the snow was too powdery and not suitable for snowball making, so making a snowman was never going to happen :lol: :lol:

DSCF7559.JPG
Small pile of rocks, otherwise known as the summit cairn

DSCF7561.JPG
Vorlich and the 'other' ridge

DSCF7569.JPG
Meall na Fearna nice rounded summit

The views from the summit were superb, however it was a tad chilly, so I found a sheltered bit out of the wind and drank ALL my coffee :lol: Took a few photo's and then headed to the edge of the summit and made a mental note of what looked like the best way down and across the peat hags :wink:
I even surprised myself and found myself walking across the snow in the footprints I made on the ascent, I can assure you it wasn't planned that way :lol:
The only problem on the descent was the icy section, as we all know going uphill on ice isn't much fun but downhill is a nightmare, so I opted to wade through the heather. The only dangerous bit was crossing the wooden bridge, it was worse going back because it was sloping down and as soon as I put one foot on the wood I almost ended up on my rear end, so great care was taken :roll:
The descent down the track is very pleasant as the views of Loch Earn are excellent, arrived back at the car in just under 4 hours. Was surprised not see Geo's car there, so guessed he didn't tackle the Stuc :lol:
Great day and that was probably the best sort of weather tackle Meall na Fearna :clap:

DSCF7571.JPG
Ice lolly anybody? Never seen, or noticed this phenomina before, walking poles turning into ice lollies!

Probably my last outing of 2014 :( :(
Wonder what's next :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Trailblazing on Meall na Fearna

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Nice one FF, a good day to finish off 2014.

Sounds like a definite winter hill to help with the bog factor - was thinking about doing this one from Glen Artney but not sure now.

Might try it this weekend but at the moment it sounds like pretty strong winds are forecast.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby PeteR » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:41 pm

:mrgreen:

I've had this hill in my sights for a while now, but have been put off by the bog factor WH suggested. Very jealous to see you having such a great day on it :lol:

It definitely looks like a great winter hill though :D Hoping I get a day in the next few weeks like you had for it :wink:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 am

Gordie12 wrote:Sounds like a definite winter hill to help with the bog factor - was thinking about doing this one from Glen Artney but not sure now.

Might try it this weekend but at the moment it sounds like pretty strong winds are forecast.

This is definitely the time of year to tackle this one :wink:

PeteR wrote:I've had this hill in my sights for a while now, but have been put off by the bog factor WH suggested. Very jealous to see you having such a great day on it :lol:

It definitely looks like a great winter hill though :D Hoping I get a day in the next few weeks like you had for it :wink:

This hill is right up your street Pete, no better time to head to Loch Earn :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:13 am

Good report Martin, that also is one of my nearer Corbetts so very much in mind just now! The most dangerous part being the frozen bridges I guess, bet was a grab on for dear life :lol: :lol: Just checking your Hill outings this year, impressive stuff! and catching me up at a rate of knots I see :clap: :clap: Have a cracking Christmas and New Year :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:12 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Good report Martin, that also is one of my nearer Corbetts so very much in mind just now! The most dangerous part being the frozen bridges I guess, bet was a grab on for dear life :lol: :lol: Just checking your Hill outings this year, impressive stuff! and catching me up at a rate of knots I see :clap: :clap: Have a cracking Christmas and New Year :)

Thanks Rod, hope you have a great festive period too :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Can be hard work when you're first through the snow but good result in the end - must keep this in mind for the future. Forty six trips is some going - about two to three years worth for me ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:31 pm

rockhopper wrote:Forty six trips is some going - about two to three years worth for me ! - cheers :)

Thanks RH, the joys of being retired and available when the forecast is OK :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 pm

As per the norm Martin, great report with some outstanding pics, love the pics you managed to catch of me on my solo lol now using one as my cover pic on FaceBook ;)

Pity I missed you though at the car park would have been good to get another climb in together, this was also my last of the year but looking forward to getting more winter climbs in, be good to get out again so keep in touch m8, done Vorlich (Loch Lomond) with Chris & Andy the other week, they speak highly of you mate.

Have a great Christmas & New Year and I'll see you soon for another day out on our Mountains (Ice Axe & Crampons) :)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland