walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An caisteal, beinn a`chroin

An caisteal, beinn a`chroin

Postby d gwynn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 03/11/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part one of a three day trip to Crianlarich I stayed in the Ben More lodge which is at the eastern end of the village and is all you could hope for at the price you pay and the food was just what you needed after a day on the hill. I set out at 1030(arrived on the sleeper that morning) and walked back past a little Londis supermarket and bought my lunch (very handy) then walked the mile up the A82 to the layby.There is access to the farm track which you follow under the railway and walk for 800mts then head off up the side of sron gharbh. Follow a wide ridge line until you reach Twistin hill
from twistin hill.jpg
view from the summit of twisting hill
most of the hard work has been done by now so the summit of An Caisteal is not that far off and in the snow line if your lucky.
an casteal summit.jpg
at the summit of an caisteal

Now drop down into the col between the two munros and follow and indirect route, round the side, and up to the summit of Beinn a Chroin, of which there are three and apparently the middle one is the highest, but to be safe I went over all three this is not a hardship as your exit route is off of the eastern end anyway. Drop down from the summit in a northerly direction and there is a track of sorts but it is hard to follow in the rough terrain.
looking at an casteal.jpg
on the decent from beinn a chroin looking at an caisteal
Now comes what i felt was the hardest bit of the day, the long walk out ,the glen bottom is very boggy and tuff going then the slog back down the tarmac to the lodge but the room was warm and the shower was hot and refreshing and the beer cold :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

d gwynn
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:200   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland